Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

455,991 Views | 3186 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by jja79
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really want to try Brisket and Rice
wadd96
AG
So glad to see three of my friends on the list.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
BurnetAggie99
Mum is also a no brainer. I'm sure the crowds will start to get heavy the more press they get which will suck. Right now you can hit Mums and usually not a wait. Add another outstanding place in the Austin area.
BohunkAg
AG
I'm pissed Bill Miller's was not on the list
DiskoTroop
B4, Bar-A, Barbs and Rosemeyer are not surprises. Vargas was news to me. Never heard of them but will check them out in September when we're down that way hunting. J-Bar-M was a surprise... I was not impressed but, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. It was very shortly after they opened.
wadd96
AG
You have to visit Steven and Kristenn at Rostlers Blue Cord BBQ. Not only are they very close and personal frieds, but they make some fantastic barbecue.
DiskoTroop
That's a new one too. I'll add it to the list.
JohnnyShotgun
Very proud to say my cousins own and operate GW's BBQ in San Juan. If you are ever in the Rio Grande Valley, stop in for some very well crafted BBQ, sides and desserts. They do traditional Central Texas style meats and special Valley offerings like goat, tacos, etc. They are happy to make this list but the goal is the big one, the Top 50 next time it comes out. Regardless, the food is exceptional. Enjoy!
Matsui
AG
Some new spots to try!
Saxsoon
AG
Was hoping for a few more from the metroplex
BohunkAg
AG
Saxsoon said:

Or Central Texas!
agfan2013
AG
BohunkAg said:

Saxsoon said:

Or Central Texas!

Yeah for all this "central Texas style" bbq thats taking over, we dont seem to have a ton of new places ranked high in actual central Texas..... (and I realize people will probably say Houston or San Antonio qualify as central Texas, but I'm really talking within the triangle of Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio, heck even places in Austin would work).

I've seen a lot of good looking stuff from Bar A in Montgomery, wasnt surprised to see them make the list. Will definitely try to get over that way, especially since they're the closest place on this list to B/CS.
BurnetAggie99
I was thinking Warehouse BBQ and Meetery in Burnet would of been on that list. It's Top 50 plus quality. Also DV had visited few months ago & gave it a good review.
Mathguy64
AG
Terry Black's in Austin. It wasn't the best lighting but it was tasty.

The second I edited the pic to drop the exposure
tsuag10
AG
I had to post this. I can't help it. I'm sorry.

The conference that I'm with brought us to Risky's in the Fort Worth Stockyards.

I really don't know how places can serve food like this and keep their doors open.

Sausage was Hillshire or Eckrich level. Ribs were flavorless and tough. The potato salad was the only thing that was decent for me.

The worst part for me, is that we have tons of guests from out of state that are going to go home thinking this is Texas BBQ.

Ok. Rant over.

ftworthag02
AG
As someone that is born & raised in Fort Worth, Ricky's is one of the biggest jokes and embarrassments in the city. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be shot.
I assume your conference was downtown so you couldn't drive to magnolia for heim or south main for panther city?
I guess it would help to read… riskys in the stockyards.
Is Cooper's still open in the stockyards?
tsuag10
AG
Yes. The whole conference is in the stockyards. I certainly would have suggested Coopers if I had been involved with the planning.
ftworthag02
AG
What's next? They going to take y'all to Mexican inn for Mexican food?
agcrock2005
AG
ftworthag02 said:

What's next? They going to take y'all to Mexican inn for Mexican food?
Chips are legit though!!
htxag09
AG
For your last point, I don't think anyone looks at conference food as a representation of the city/state. I know I look at is as mediocre hotel like food.
tsuag10
AG
Good point. These are a bunch of college students from around the US. Hopefully they drink enough this week to forget the crappy food.

And for Mexican: Monday night we went to Joe T's. I've been there before and it was decent. Last night at Joe T's was on par with microwave dinner Mexican food. Just turrible.
RED AG 98
AG
Looks like the bbq equivalent of "convention hotel ballroom fajitas" I've had a hundred times even here in Texas. It's both edible and passable and that's about it.
ftworthag02
AG
Yes the Fritos and warm salsa are legit. We use to go to the one on 8th Ave for lunch at paschal and it was quick and cheap. I think there were 8 items on the lunch menu. Not great
agcrock2005
AG
Food garbage. HOT fritos and fresh salsa legit. Place as a whole is trash for sure.
wadd96
AG
Ricky's or Riskey's???
ftworthag02
AG
My bad, riskys
ConstructionAg01
AG
Memories of my childhood. It's been 25+ years, but I can look at that picture and taste those beans, potato salad, and slaw. There was a Risky's a few miles from our house and we'd regularly have a week night meal of a quart of chopped brisket slapped on our own burger buns with mustard and pickles, and those three family sides. It was cheap and convenient. BUT, we never ate their ribs, sausage, or actual brisket.
CowtownAg06
AG
On the note of FW BBQ nostalgia, a chopped sandwich and fries from Railhead will always hold a special place for me. As a kid, I loved the stuffed bear (not food) at Angelo's.
wadd96
AG
I might go get a chopped beef from Martin's tomorrow. (I can't type... It's been a completely effed up day dealing with doctors, insurance, wealth managers and bankers regarding my father's affairs My sister handles most of Mom's medical, and deal with the finances... I also failed ACCT 229 twice. LOL)
BohunkAg
AG
wadd96 said:

I might go get a chopped beef from Martin's today.
That was a good go-to back in the day.
BurnetAggie99
Martins always get the chopped or sliced brisket sandwich with the German potatoes & onion rings
DiskoTroop
Apparently the Brit in this video is someone?? Either way, he went for BBQ!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cvpqi5wtTLu/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Blu's BBQ
CyAg
AG
That made the local news in Houston yesterday!
agcrock2005
AG
Almost posted yesterday. I'm a DFW guy and hadn't heard of Blu's BBQ. Anyone been? Reviews online look pretty good.
txag2008
AG
I live right next to it and was shocked when I saw Beckham was there. There must be some sort of connection.

We went a few times during COVID shutdown but haven't been back since. At the time it was good but nothing special. May have to make a trip back.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.