Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ Joints

885,260 Views | 4020 Replies | Last: 53 min ago by RightWingConspirator
mustang1234
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mathguy64 said:

We did Brisket, ribs and a link at Original Blacks and Smitty's

Blacks was better. The sausage was tighter and the brisket was better with a much better bark. The ribs at Smitty's were better. The link at Smitty's was just loose in the casing.




ETA we were going to do Kreuz' but we tapped out. I have had it before. Brisket, clod and link.

The history of Smitty's market is cool stuff. Similar vibes to the history in Taylor at Louie Mueller's. Cool stuff.

agree Blacks for Brisket and ribs at smittys but both beat most other places in South Tx I was not impressed with Kruez Might have been a off day
Matsui
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ETX Ag 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Y'all are very fortunate to live in areas that actually has good BBQ options. I refuse to pay the inflated prices for barely average Q where I live.

That's why I got into smoking because I do love good BBQ. I've learned over the last few years how to smoke most meats that is hands down better than what I can get from a local joint. Plus, there are so many other things you can smoke that you can't get at a restaurant.
Backyard Gator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ETX Ag 97 said:

Y'all are very fortunate to live in areas that actually has good BBQ options. I refuse to pay the inflated prices for barely average Q where I live.

That's why I got into smoking because I do love good BBQ. I've learned over the last few years how to smoke most meats that is hands down better than what I can get from a local joint. Plus, there are so many other things you can smoke that you can't get at a restaurant.

You see this story?

$171.75 ($85.88 per person) when you include the gratuity to eat at the pop-up.

ETX Ag 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Backyard Gator said:

ETX Ag 97 said:

Y'all are very fortunate to live in areas that actually has good BBQ options. I refuse to pay the inflated prices for barely average Q where I live.

That's why I got into smoking because I do love good BBQ. I've learned over the last few years how to smoke most meats that is hands down better than what I can get from a local joint. Plus, there are so many other things you can smoke that you can't get at a restaurant.

You see this story?

$171.75 ($85.88 per person) when you include the gratuity to eat at the pop-up.



Wow
DiskoTroop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hit Castroville BBQ today and it was really good. While not on the list, I feel their tie it 2M always warrants mention. They do a great job.


Matsui
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
looks solid
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any of you guys follow B4 BBQ on socials? I think this dude is losing it. It's turned into a whine festival every day this week he's been open. Dude chooses a horrific spot to put his trailer then whines that nobody is going to the middle of nowhere, to a hard intersection to get to, in order to eat his food. I've been several times and was a really big fan but his attitude is really turning me off to giving him my money.

https://instagr.am/p/DdHX-gRJ3bB

https://instagr.am/p/DdDCmkYMD95

https://instagr.am/p/DdJ8IO2piEA
Backyard Gator
How long do you want to ignore this user?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/DdFfF9CtcgK/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&stkn=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Sounds like they're trying to pivot and do multiple things, like pizza and smash burgers, instead of just focusing on one thing. The fact that they didn't know construction would happen in front of their location makes me think they don't pay attention to important details that directly affect their business.
Jackal99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NColoradoAG said:

AustinCountyAg said:

anyone been watch Pitmasters on the foodnetwork? The couple that owns 2M in San Antonio is on the show and absolutely been killing it. I'd venture to guess they've won around 70% of all of the competitions thus far.


Been watching as well and enjoying it. Didnt see last night's episode yet. Pretty interesting competition set up. I dont know how the competitors will survive cooking for 7 straight days. It doesn't hurt that Jess Pryles is pretty easy on the eyes.

It was really smart for Esaul to bring his wife for the Comp. She started a brick and mortar bakery 5 or so years after they opened 2M and has formal pastry training. Thats a huge advantage in the competition IMO even if they're only cooking live fire.


Literally just met them ten minutes ago. I just came into San Antonio a few hours ago for a conference my wife is going to. We grabbed lunch at a place near the Riverwalk, stopped for a picture when we got outside, and Esaul and Grecia were walking by. I had to do a double take to make sure it was him, but he has a distinctive look. On a hunch, I called out his name and he turned around. I congratulated them on winning Pitmasters, they both shook my hand and thanked me, and said they appreciated me for watching the show. They walked off and my wife looked at me funny. I had to explain the whole thing to her.
Jackal99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jackal99 said:

NColoradoAG said:

AustinCountyAg said:

anyone been watch Pitmasters on the foodnetwork? The couple that owns 2M in San Antonio is on the show and absolutely been killing it. I'd venture to guess they've won around 70% of all of the competitions thus far.


Been watching as well and enjoying it. Didnt see last night's episode yet. Pretty interesting competition set up. I dont know how the competitors will survive cooking for 7 straight days. It doesn't hurt that Jess Pryles is pretty easy on the eyes.

It was really smart for Esaul to bring his wife for the Comp. She started a brick and mortar bakery 5 or so years after they opened 2M and has formal pastry training. Thats a huge advantage in the competition IMO even if they're only cooking live fire.


Literally just met them ten minutes ago. I just came into San Antonio a few hours ago for a conference my wife is going to. We grabbed lunch at a place near the Riverwalk, stopped for a picture when we got outside, and Esaul and Grecia were walking by. I had to do a double take to make sure it was him, but he has a distinctive look. On a hunch, I called out his name and he turned around. I congratulated them on winning Pitmasters, they both shook my hand and thanked me, and said they appreciated me for watching the show. They walked off and my wife looked at me funny. I had to explain the whole thing to her.


Just saw them again walking around the market outside Mi Tierra. Did not say hello again.

ETA: and now I'm a few tables from them in Mi Tierra. If it's good enough for championship pitmasters…
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jackal99 said:

Jackal99 said:

NColoradoAG said:

AustinCountyAg said:

anyone been watch Pitmasters on the foodnetwork? The couple that owns 2M in San Antonio is on the show and absolutely been killing it. I'd venture to guess they've won around 70% of all of the competitions thus far.


Been watching as well and enjoying it. Didnt see last night's episode yet. Pretty interesting competition set up. I dont know how the competitors will survive cooking for 7 straight days. It doesn't hurt that Jess Pryles is pretty easy on the eyes.

It was really smart for Esaul to bring his wife for the Comp. She started a brick and mortar bakery 5 or so years after they opened 2M and has formal pastry training. Thats a huge advantage in the competition IMO even if they're only cooking live fire.


Literally just met them ten minutes ago. I just came into San Antonio a few hours ago for a conference my wife is going to. We grabbed lunch at a place near the Riverwalk, stopped for a picture when we got outside, and Esaul and Grecia were walking by. I had to do a double take to make sure it was him, but he has a distinctive look. On a hunch, I called out his name and he turned around. I congratulated them on winning Pitmasters, they both shook my hand and thanked me, and said they appreciated me for watching the show. They walked off and my wife looked at me funny. I had to explain the whole thing to her.


Just saw them again walking around the market outside Mi Tierra. Did not say hello again.

ETA: and now I'm a few tables from them in Mi Tierra. If it's good enough for championship pitmasters…

Just FYI, stalking is against the law in Texas...
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The best barbecue in the Corpus area is Butters in Sinton.

They just announced that they're pulling brisket from their menu entirely.

Not the first I've heard of this, but it's still a bummer. Brisket is the staple of Texas barbecue and it's just becoming unsustainable.
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
go eat at 2M. It was fantastic last month when we went.
Jackal99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

go eat at 2M. It was fantastic last month when we went.

Unfortunately, we did not get a chance to. Had hoped to stop on Saturday on the way out of town, but we needed to leave earlier to get back sooner than we had expected. Next time for sure.
Martin Cash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CDub06 said:

The best barbecue in the Corpus area is Butters in Sinton.

They just announced that they're pulling brisket from their menu entirely.

Not the first I've heard of this, but it's still a bummer. Brisket is the staple of Texas barbecue and it's just becoming unsustainable.

Time to go back to shoulder clod. The original BBQ.
Lola68
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Replaced brisket with beef cheeks and pork belly burnt ends
NColoradoAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lola68 said:

Replaced brisket with beef cheeks and pork belly burnt ends

Oof. I'd hate to be the guy who has to prep the beef cheeks. Those things are a pain to trim
Lola68
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No kidding
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Didn't Prause's in LaGrange used to barbecue the neck roll cut? I thought they closed up shop because that cut was getting too expensive too.
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beef cheeks? Who would do such a thing?
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They're going to need to be making a boatload of barbacoa with all the trim to make it work economically.
Beef Cheek
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CDub06 said:

Beef cheeks? Who would do such a thing?


It goes against everything we hold dear in Texas BBQ
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CDub06 said:

Beef cheeks? Who would do such a thing?

Speaking of...haven't seen our resident Beef Cheeks around here in a while. Hopefully too busy at L&L to mess around on Texags.

EDIT: And he posts at the exact time as my post. Welcome back sir!
Lola68
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Butter's barbacoa is pretty good.
Beef Cheek
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HTownAg98 said:

They're going to need to be making a boatload of barbacoa with all the trim to make it work economically.


Yea I've been thinking they must have a plan for barbacoa, because cheeks are not really a better option for the bottom line
Beef Cheek
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Things at the restaurant have been non-stop wild, but I'm back to gripe about beef prices and Marcel Reed
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
May as well ***** and moan about L&L now. I've got a gripe.

Yall don't sell the Chori-papas through the fast line. That needs to end NOW. That stuff is crack. And when you toss in some eggs and scoop it on a fresh tortilla it's amazing. Let's fix that little error shall we?

Seriously, we went for the first time over Labor Day weekend after crawling through Lockhart the day before. We went to Still Austin, got a drink or 5 and then came over to eat. Really really really good stuff. Including the beef cheek barbacoa.

I had to drive over to Austin Saturday a couple of weeks ago and was going to stop in to buy just the Chorizo Papas for tacos and discovered the fine print that it wasn't in the fast line. Bummer.
Beef Cheek
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll do my best to get you some chori-papas without waiting in line next time haha
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beef Cheek said:

I'll do my best to get you some chori-papas without waiting in line next time haha


I'll take you up on that offer!
RightWingConspirator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't see it mentioned in this thread but wanted to bring it to your attention. I had Third Coast BBQ in Spring and it was fantastic. It's not a place you would ever see from a major road as it is tucked back into a residential area. Looks like it's probably Aggie owned as they had plenty of A&M stuff throughout. In short, the brisket was fantastic as was the sausage. We tried the beans and the smoked collard greens as sides. It was all fantastic. I found it to be a very bit as good as Corkscrew but without the long wait. Give it a shot.
First Page Refresh
Page 115 of 115 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.