Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

497,796 Views | 3303 Replies | Last: 20 hrs ago by Jock 07
RED AG 98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for the heads up on Briscuits at Radio Coffee. I forgot to take a pic but it was really dang good. Appreciate the rec as I am frequently in the area.

I love good biscuits so I am all for this new trend and resurgence of biscuits. Other spots that have an amazing biscuit sandwich are Bird Bird Biscuit and Shore Raw Bar (weird I know but it's legit).
tsuag10
AG
Panther City BBQ in Ft Worth today.

Brisket was top 5 I've ever had. Pork rib was pretty good. Beans are different and awesome. Slaw was bland.

Will definitely be back.
AgsWin2011
AG
Got to try Leroy and Lewis in Austin today. #5 on the top monthly list. The beef cheek slices and barbacoa were absolutely amazing. The sides (kimchi and rice hash) were a unique but awesome twist. I would definitely recommend giving this place a try.
Beef Cheek
AG
Yesssssssss!

What time did you come thru? I think I may have sliced those cheeks.
schmendeler
AG
You worked wonders on his cheeks
AgsWin2011
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Yesssssssss!

What time did you come thru? I think I may have sliced those cheeks.

I honestly just read through this whole thread and realized it was probably you that came up and said Gig Em to me and the guy I was with because I had an Aggie shirt on. We got there just before noon I would say. Everything was amazing. You gotta PM me how you make those cheeks! I'm not looking to be a competitor, just love to BBQ at the house. And that green jalapeño sauce on the barbacoa hit the spot!

Keep up the good work and bring that truck to College Station!
Beef Cheek
AG
Oh actually that was Cole Parkman that was working the lunch shift. The Aggies roll deep at L&L!

As for the cheeks… trim them like a small brisket, 2:1 pepper/salt for the rub, smoked for ~4 hrs, confit in beef fat for ~4 hrs.
cc10106
Took my brother and a friend to Pinkerton's last night for the first time, and I was pleasantly surprised that they still had nearly everything besides beef at 8 PM. It has become my favorite Houston joint in a city full of good to great ones.
Saxsoon
AG
At cattleack this morning. Got the brisket, ribs, turkey, wagyu beef bologna, and some of the best hatch Chile Mac and cheese ever.

God bless this place.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Saxsoon
AG
I didn't pick it up, but Cattleack is now selling wagyu Beef Tallow in probably 8oz bottles for $12/pack
agcrock2005
AG
Saxsoon said:

I didn't pick it up, but Cattleack is now selling wagyu Beef Tallow in probably 8oz bottles for $12/pack
That's crazy. For anyone that wants beef tallow please look up how easy it is to make, assuming you actually have the beef fat to make it. Some butchers will give you beef fat for free as well.
HTownAg98
Beef Cheek said:

Oh actually that was Cole Parkman that was working the lunch shift. The Aggies roll deep at L&L!

As for the cheeks… trim them like a small brisket, 2:1 pepper/salt for the rub, smoked for ~4 hrs, confit in beef fat for ~4 hrs.

I did the confit with butter (because I don't have beef tallow on hand), and they were excellent. My wife is not a brisket fan, but she loves beef cheeks in tacos.

Bradley Robinson did a video on his YouTube channel for barbacoa (basically what to do with the trim from the beef cheeks), and I'm going to give that a try too.
Mathguy64
AG
I've done beef cheeks for barbacoa twice. It was really great but both times I came away thinking that I had a lot of waste trimming pre-cook.
agcrock2005
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I've done beef cheeks for barbacoa twice. It was really great but both times I came away thinking that I had a lot of waste trimming pre-cook.
I've never done them, but did watch this video yesterday from Beef Cheeks buddy and he definitely has a big pile of stuff that he doesn't end up using. Looks like more than half of the product. You'll see it at the 3:48 marker of the video.

Chud's BBQ Beef Cheeks
979ag
AG
Saxsoon
AG
979ag said:

Evie Mae's out west at 2:30 on a Saturday. Emergency surgery for my sister prompted me to fly out to Lubbock to get her car from TTU and drive it home.

Straight from the airport to the BBQ. Luckily it was a slow day and got here 10 minutes before they ran out

Solid Que

After having Cattleack yesterday, drove to Lubbock for my nephews dedication at church. My family told me to meet them at evie Maes. Got number 6 and number 8 on back to back days. I feasted this weekend
mslags97
AG
Saxsoon said:

979ag said:

Evie Mae's out west at 2:30 on a Saturday. Emergency surgery for my sister prompted me to fly out to Lubbock to get her car from TTU and drive it home.

Straight from the airport to the BBQ. Luckily it was a slow day and got here 10 minutes before they ran out

Solid Que

After having Cattleack yesterday, drove to Lubbock for my nephews dedication at church. My family told me to meet them at evie Maes. Got number 6 and number 8 on back to back days. I feasted this weekend

Hidden gem in West Texas! Some of the greatest Que in the state. Love everything about Evie Mae's. Sides are incredible!
Saxsoon
AG
mslags97 said:

Saxsoon said:

979ag said:

Solid Que

Hidden gem in West Texas! Some of the greatest Que in the state. Love everything about Evie Mae's. Sides are incredible!

The pinto and green beans were great. I had a small amount of key lime pie which I didn't expect there and it was incredible
JCRiley09
AG
"Hidden" twice top 10 joint
KoolHandLuke
Convenience West BBQ in Marfa is on the list - as it should be. If you're ever out west, it is well worth a trip to Marfa for some .
BurnetAggie99
Ate yesterday at Tejas BBQ in Tomball while I was up at our Banditos Baseball Facility running some live scrimmages for our upcoming Hs summer teams. Great as always brisket, sausage & Pastrami beef rib was money.
NColoradoAG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Ate yesterday at Tejas BBQ in Tomball while I was up at our Banditos Baseball Facility running some live scrimmages for our upcoming Hs summer teams. Great as always brisket, sausage & Pastrami beef rib was money.

Their Chile Relleno sausage is maybe my favorite bbq item in all of Texas.
Beef Cheek
AG
Their carrot souffle is my favorite BBQ side
mslags97
AG
JCRiley09 said:

"Hidden" twice top 10 joint

Agreed and understood…. But being in West Texas, I feel it still doesn't get the recognition it deserves…..
Beef Cheek
AG
New Texas Aggie magazine highlighting how maroon we've made the state of BBQ.

Honored to have a tiny blurb share a page with Joel!
Obviously Leonard got the big features.

https://texasaggie.aggienetwork.com/issues/2022-05/

agcrock2005
AG
That's a cool article. Congrats!
Saxsoon
AG
If you are ever in Seattle, check out Jacks BBQ. Jack is an Aggie and alum of the meat bbq camp here. Good man who did right by me during my time up in Seattle. His que is up there with some of the best in Texas. Building a small empire up in the pacific northwest
cc10106
Went to Roegels on Voss on Mother's Day, and surprisingly we waited less than five minutes to order. Good thing since I figured Truth and Blood Bros. would have lines. I don't eat it quite as frequently as I used to, but the brisket was outstanding, along with everything else including boudin, sides, and banana pudding.
Koldus131
AG
cc10106 said:

Went to Roegels on Voss on Mother's Day, and surprisingly we waited less than five minutes to order. Good thing since I figured Truth and Blood Bros. would have lines. I don't eat it quite as frequently as I used to, but the brisket was outstanding, along with everything else including boudin, sides, and banana pudding.

Roegel's being left off of the Top 50 was easily the biggest snub this year IMO.
NColoradoAG
Koldus131 said:

cc10106 said:

Roegel's being left off of the Top 50 was easily the biggest snub this year IMO.

And 1775
Aggie09Derek
AG
Could be wrong but i'm guessing mothers day is less busy than most other Sundays.

When we drove past Pit Room at like 11:15 the parking lot was damn near empty.
MAROON
AG
Ya most Mom's aren't dreaming of BBQ for Mother's Day!
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
CDub06
AG
Yeah, we normally eat at Killen's on Sundays and my wife specifically said that she didn't want barbecue on Mother's Day.
G-Town Cracker
AG
Yeah, I picked up a tray of bread pudding from Killen's last Sunday at lunch and the line was only about 10 deep outside the door.
How good does it feel? You belong in these hills.
BSD
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Beef Cheek said:

I did the confit with butter (because I don't have beef tallow on hand), and they were excellent. My wife is not a brisket fan, but she loves beef cheeks in tacos.

Bradley Robinson did a video on his YouTube channel for barbacoa (basically what to do with the trim from the beef cheeks), and I'm going to give that a try too.

Doing the beef cheeks today before I smoke ribs. I have a lot of trimmings so I need watch that video.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.