Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

432,949 Views | 3126 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by DatTallArchitect
AggieFabricator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pretty sure they do a similar thing at Franklins and Snows. They know how much food they have, they go through the line and when that food is figured it will be gone, they tell folks they can't promise they'll have food past this point in line. Kerry at Snows walks the line and numbers folks, they can tell folks by what number they are in line what they can expect to have as options that will be left when they make it in to order. Show up late, lose weight.
JCRiley09
AG
Went to Heim in FW today (River location). It's a 2021 honorable mention and was top 50 in 2017. The brisket was very disappointing. No bark, sliced incorrectly (isn't slicing brisket properly the bare minimum expectation?), and underwhelming flavor for prime. The jalapeño cheddar sausage and mac n cheese was pretty good, but spending money on mediocre brisket ruined the trip.

Plenty of places not in the top 100 that do a better job.
CDub06
AG
Used to be INCREDIBLE. Guess they fell off with all the expansion. Guess there's a reason they're not too 50 this year.
Saxsoon
AG
I went to heim in fort worth and it sucked. I thought I had a good dinner at the Love Field location.
Vogon Poet
AG
Heim is very inconsistent, at all locations. Not worth the gamble with their premium prices.
Bulldog73
AG
I think that's problem, every time they've expanded, QC as a whole seems to have taken a major hit. Bodacious may have gone through similar. Oddly, and don't chase me out for this, but that's one thing I've been very impressed with Rudy's about. Not that they're top notch at all, but every single location has been consistent. Consistently average to slightly above average, but consistent.
Saxsoon
AG
Bulldog73 said:

I think that's problem, every time they've expanded, QC as a whole seems to have taken a major hit. Bodacious may have gone through similar. Oddly, and don't chase me out for this, but that's one thing I've been very impressed with Rudy's about. Not that they're top notch at all, but every single location has been consistent. Consistently average to slightly above average, but consistent.

Rudy's is solidly average and tried and true
CDub06
AG
Rudy's consistency across locations and throughout the day is impressive. Certainly not great bbq, but they're a well run organization.
Saxsoon
AG
Also Rudy's is one of the few places that I actually like their BBQ sauce. I usually despise most places' sauce
WestTexAG
AG
CDub06 said:

Rudy's consistency across locations and throughout the day is impressive. Certainly not great bbq, but they're a well run organization.

In my opinion this exact quality is what truly makes Rudy's the most impressive bbq joint in the state. They're processes have to be spot on to serve the volume of acceptable bbq they do on a daily basis. Look at how all the higher rated places that expand fall off or even how many have just an off day. Rudy's doesn't ever have an "off" day.
schmendeler
AG
It's the McDonald's of barbecue
Beef Cheek
AG
Probably about a 45 min wait at L&L right now.

Duck fat dirty rice and lemongrass beef sausage on the specials board.

WestTexAG
AG
Got in line at 11:30 and the duck fat dirty rice was already gone. You guys have a good thing going here man! The beef cheek was out of this world. Brisket was good, but we got one of the last pieces of a fatty end that was slightly dried out/oxidized. I think this was likely just a function of unlucky timing because it was still very good. Cauliflower burnt ends were the best cauliflower I've ever had, and the cole slaw is the best anywhere.
WestTexAG
AG
Holy Cow! Just took a bite of he cheesecake, from Leroy & Lewis and it is legitimately the BEST cheesecake anywhere in the world.
Beef Cheek
AG

Sorry I missed you! Busy opening up our other trailer today.
JCRiley09
AG
One of the very understated things about L&L is how you get your food at the window. Most trucks you wait to order food and then you wait again for them to call your name. L&L spoiled me with this efficiency and now the wait after ordering at all the other trucks drives me crazy.
NColoradoAG
schmendeler said:

It's the McDonald's of barbecue
Dickey's is the McDonalds of BBQ. Rudy's is more like the Five Guys of BBQ.
Fairview20
AG
Had Mickelwaithe's at the F1 race this weekend and thought their brisket sandwich was very good. Especially since they were just premaking them so who knows how long it had been sitting out. Will definitely be back for the full experience.
agfan2013
AG
Was in Houston today and decided to try Houston Truth for the first time (I've been to the Brenham location probably 5 times). Meeting ran late and ended up getting there at 12:50, not surprisingly they were sold out of a few things when I got in line and by the time I was to the front about 30 minutes later, pork ribs, pulled pork, and chopped brisket for sandwiches were your only choices for meat, all sides were still available though.

Ribs were dang good, perfect texture of being really tender but not too fall apart. Tasted excellent. Corn pudding was good as always and the tater tot casserole was tasty as well being my first time trying it. I'll definitely have to get back when they've got brisket and some of their specialty stuff like brisket boudin.

Still my favorite place in the state.
BQRyno
AG
What time does one need to show up at Truth on a Friday to get a pretty good spot in line? Before 10? 9?
Matsui
AG
I went 3 weeks ago on a Friday and showed up at 12:30 PM. Probably 20 in line.
CowtownAg06
AG
Used to be 1030 was plenty fine. I don't know how things are these days.
JCA1
AG
Drove by it at 11 a few days ago and the line looked to be about 50 deep.
Fairview20
AG
How early should we get in line at La Barbecue tomorrow morning? Was hoping 10 would work.
TXAG 05
AG
Got to Corkscrew today at 10:50 and got #14
NATE AG03
AG
What is the opinion on why Pecan Lodge is out of the Top 50? Has their quality gone down or are there just so many new and better options out there? Curious as I haven't been there in a while.
Saxsoon
AG
NATE AG03 said:

What is the opinion on why Pecan Lodge is out of the Top 50? Has their quality gone down or are there just so many new and better options out there? Curious as I haven't been there in a while.

I went back in February for the first time. The best thing I had was the mac and cheese. The brisket was disappointing as were the ribs
AggieFabricator
Wouldn't think you'd need to be in line here super early, usually the Top 10 places are the places you need to get in line a hour or more early.
AggieFabricator
Haven't been to Dayne's yet in Ft. Worth, but they'll have this baby next Tuesday to cook more goodness on.
Matsui
AG
Daynes is outstanding.
GIF Reactor
AG
Username definitely checks out
agfan2013
AG
2M Smokehouse today. Excellent food. Moving the line… could use some work. Was probably 10-15 people in front of us and we waited over 30 minutes. Brisket was great, both moist and lean. Also had a side of the street corn which was ok, but I like other places better. Definitely deserving of top 50.

Had a buddy bring Brett's Backyard Bbq into town on Friday as well. It was just pickup so I won't really grade them, but the pico de gallo sausage was excellent even after 30 minutes of traveling.
BQRyno
AG
No pics, but I had Truth BBQ in Houston on Friday. Best bbq I've ever had. We had brisket, spare ribs, spicy pepper jack sausage, tater tot casserole, and corn pudding. The brisket point had perfectly rendered fat that just melted in my mouth. It reminded me of a perfect beef rib (which I couldn't get because it wasn't Saturday). Spare ribs were amazing. Their rub is just the right amounts sweet and spicy, and they had a good bite. Sausage was very good too, but my least favorite of the three. Is it beef sausage? Tasted a little bit different than I'm used to, but very good. Sides were as good as I've had at a bbq joint. Also brought home some chocolate cake. It was good, but my mom loves to bake, and it wasn't any better than I can have at a family gathering. Very good, but not special.

It was pricey, but I'll absolutely be back. Want to try Brett's in Katy, Blood Bros, and Tejas while this is still fresh on my mind.
AggieFabricator
I was there today too! Was there with my buddy Joey (the fella taking the pics) Excellent eats today. Esaul & company are doing it right.

agfan2013
AG
Nice. We got there late, around 2:00 and they still had everything available. As we were leaving they had dropped to just brisket and turkey. Good crew and excellent food, like moves slow is my only complaint.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.