Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

433,012 Views | 3127 Replies | Last: 21 min ago by ChipFTAC01
Beef Cheek
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are just a couple of weeks away from opening the new restaurant, thought I would give y'all a peek at the rough draft for our new menu.

Beef Cheek
AG
Edit: double post, oops
tsuag10
AG
Are the Beef Cheeks going to only be a "special" now? Say it ain't so….
TejasAg
AG
Hell yeah, this is going to be epic. Can't wait to get over there and try some of the new offerings.
Koldus131
AG
Looks freaking awesome and can't wait to take some business clients there next time I'm in Austin. Is the "sliced beef" going to be a rotating cut?
Beef Cheek
AG
Yea, sadly the cheeks will only be available one day a week moving forward
NColoradoAG
Beef Cheek said:

Yea, sadly the cheeks will only be available one day a week moving forward

I've prepped enough beef cheeks to know this is probably good news for someone in the kitchen.
Beef Cheek
AG
The sliced beef will rotate between flatiron(shoulder clod), Chuck steak, beef cheeks, and brisket.
Beef Cheek
AG
I'm also *very* excited for new hats
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Typo on Texsa Frito Pie
Beef Cheek
AG
Yea we need clean up a couple of mistakes
tsuag10
AG
As long as it's Wednesday or Thursday that's ok.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Beef Cheek said:

I'm also *very* excited for new hats

Those are awesome.
RED AG 98
AG
Well well well how the turn tables .... (fb link)

agcrock2005
AG
Love it. Glad they're not letting them get away with it.
agcrock2005
AG
https://instagr.am/p/C3ZMPB1tHxj
Quote:

Ok, let's take a journey into time…

1: 1/1/24 our bbq pit is stolen out of our parking lot. 2: We recovered the pit approx 4 hours later via gps trackers in a lot next to a local cafe. 3: After canvassing the neighborhood, we discovered another trailer theft and got good video of the suspect van. 4: on the same day we recovered the pits, we installed a camera with permission of a local business owner in hopes the thief would return for the pit. The only movement was the cafe owner moving his vehicles around…no cause for alarm. 5: several days later, the suspect van returns…..at the same time as the cafe owner…they go into the cafe together…WTH is going on? 6/7: suspect van returns later in the day, driver goes inside the cafe(assuming to get keys) and comes out to move cafe owners(will refer to him as Wario from here on out) vehicle. 8/9: van driver proceeds to get help from someone that came from inside cafe to move an oven range into Warios truck. Later another truck comes to pick up the range. They also place some items in the cab of Warios truck. 10: Wario moves those items from one vehicle to another. Remember, Wario told the police and reporters he has no idea who the van driver is….Part 2 tomorrow…
I love the "Wario" part. Guy's name is Mario.
RED AG 98
AG
agcrock2005 said:

https://instagr.am/p/C3ZMPB1tHxj
Quote:

Ok, let's take a journey into time…

1: 1/1/24 our bbq pit is stolen out of our parking lot. 2: We recovered the pit approx 4 hours later via gps trackers in a lot next to a local cafe. 3: After canvassing the neighborhood, we discovered another trailer theft and got good video of the suspect van. 4: on the same day we recovered the pits, we installed a camera with permission of a local business owner in hopes the thief would return for the pit. The only movement was the cafe owner moving his vehicles around…no cause for alarm. 5: several days later, the suspect van returns…..at the same time as the cafe owner…they go into the cafe together…WTH is going on? 6/7: suspect van returns later in the day, driver goes inside the cafe(assuming to get keys) and comes out to move cafe owners(will refer to him as Wario from here on out) vehicle. 8/9: van driver proceeds to get help from someone that came from inside cafe to move an oven range into Warios truck. Later another truck comes to pick up the range. They also place some items in the cab of Warios truck. 10: Wario moves those items from one vehicle to another. Remember, Wario told the police and reporters he has no idea who the van driver is….Part 2 tomorrow…
I love the "Wario" part. Guy's name is Mario.
I hope they have enough evidence to blow this little theft ring up and that their consequences are severe.
I also hope the folks at Panther have good counsel and releasing this isn't detrimental to the case. I have zero problem with this I just hope it isn't somehow used against them.
BurnetAggie99
Crimson Creek Smokehouse In Dripping Springs is also real good and worth visiting
BurnetAggie99
Need some Hats made up in Aggie Maroon
RED AG 98
AG
Pretty good. The pork belly burnt ends and some of the sides are great. Also the homemade pies are excellent. They used to not carry beef but I believe added this to the menu when they moved from Nutty Brown to the Deep Eddy parking lot.

And if AT comes this way, he can see why I want to leave. Many of these new restuaurants out here (dozens) are about to get bulldozed if TxDot gets its way in the next phase of the 290 expansion.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Butter's BBQ, Sinton, TX. Anyone been there? How is it? Been wanting to make it, but have not yet, just wondering how good (or not) it is?
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Beef Cheek
AG
It's good! Worth it if you're in the area.
RED AG 98
AG
It's worth checking out. And hit up Butter Churn if you haven't already. That's the gem in Sinton.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Beef and Red: Where are y'all located? I am here in Rockport, need to make that short drive. How's 'bout Cavaleri's?? We love it, however, has kinda slipped off our radar for some reason, not been there in about a year. Have y'all been lately?
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
RED AG 98
AG
Grew up about 20 minutes away but am located in the Hill Country now. Still have lots of friends and family all up and down the gulf coast though.
BurnetAggie99
Butter's BBQ is legit. Go there everytime when traveling out that way.
CDub06
AG
Butter's BBQ is very good. And their new spot in Sinton is a huge upgrade. The short story is that the dude wanted to get better at BBQ, so he read everything he could from Aaron Franklin and implemented it into his barbecue. He opened his own spot and is nailing it.

Funny that Butter Churn is mentioned too. That's a regular for my family. The one in Aransas Pass is better, but we usually meet at the one in Sinton just for ease of access. It's pretty solid for buffet food.
CDub06
AG
Made it out to a little spot south of Fort Worth called Goldees.

It was my first time, so we had to get a spread.

We also had a side fan that went a little wild with the side orders...
ftworthag02
AG
Damn! Did you leave anything for the rest of us? How was it? I still haven't made it out there.
CDub06
AG
It's top tier for sure. At this point, all the best brisket is pretty even. The house made sausages were great. They nailed everything. But it gets lost in that top 10 pile for me. I thought the pork belly was elite.

Texas Monthly has their work cut out for them when they pick #1. Maybe not my #1, but there's no reason they shouldn't have that title.
maca1028
Been working through some of the Houston area top 50's with my 13 year old. Heading to Spring/Cypress Saturday, Tejas or Corkscrew and how are their Saturday lines?
digging tunnels
AG
It's been a few years since I've been to Corkscrew, so perhaps their policy has changed. If you get there before it opens, they will give you a placement number so you don't have to stand in line for long. You can sit in your car and wait. Then prior to opening, you line up according to your number
CDub06
AG
I like Tejas better personally. They also have golden tickets that hold your place in line. So if you get there early, you can grab a ticket and head down to the farmers market. The lines have definitely died down. But I would recommend getting there by 9:30 just to be safe.

Last time I was there on Saturday, I got there, obscenely late and still got a golden ticket. I think I was there at 10 and was #2
maca1028
Thanks, I was leaning Tejas, I've been wanting to try it for a while it's just a pretty long drive for me.
Beef Cheek
AG
Ok y'all, the big day is almost here..

https://austin.eater.com/2024/2/26/24083528/leroy-and-lewis-austin-barbecue-restaurant-open-south-austin-garrison-park-february-2024

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.