Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

455,976 Views | 3186 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by jja79
K Bo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hit Burnt Bean yesterday a little before 11. We were too early to try all the sides and my wife was a little bummed about that but the bourbon peach cobbler taco made up for it. Oh my. It's been a while since I've had good BBQ but everything on the plate was amazing. The ribs were a little sweeter than I like but were otherwise great. The brisket was perfect for my liking (super moist, peppery but not over the top, and not much salt) and the jalapeño cheese sausage might be the best I've had - I'm not typically a sausage fan, though. The beans were very good but the potato salad was a little too wet for me. This place is definitely worth the trip, IMO.
CDub06
AG
lawless89 said:

TexDill15 said:

Stopped in at Truth today in Brenham for a first time visit. Everything was delicious.

The health inspector showed up while I was there and the Sold Out sign went up. Hopefully it wasn't an issue with the food and just not having enough staff to interact with the inspector and serve guest so a 20 minute pause.

I happened upon this place a few weeks ago by accident. Holy crap. Absolute best I've ever had. Sides were even phenomenal.
There's a reason they're ranked #3 in the state. And part of that is those sides and ridiculous desserts!
SpiderDude
AG
CDub06 said:

lawless89 said:

TexDill15 said:

Stopped in at Truth today in Brenham for a first time visit. Everything was delicious.

The health inspector showed up while I was there and the Sold Out sign went up. Hopefully it wasn't an issue with the food and just not having enough staff to interact with the inspector and serve guest so a 20 minute pause.

I happened upon this place a few weeks ago by accident. Holy crap. Absolute best I've ever had. Sides were even phenomenal.
There's a reason they're ranked #3 in the state. And part of that is those sides and ridiculous desserts!

IMO the current rankings totally reflect the establishments side and dessert game. Too many have more or less mastered the art of smoking meats to really separate them from the pack so TM is putting more focus on the rest of the menu and what restaurants are doing to push the BBQ culinary envelope. And that's a good thing unless you're a meat and potatoes type BBQ fan.
CDub06
AG
Yep, we discussed that when the list came out. It was evident based on the selections. And another leading factor was creativity in the entrees and some of the other flavors and fusions. Our very own LeRoy & Lewis demonstrates that as well as anyone and has an appropriate tag for it, "New School Barbcue"
DatTallArchitect
AG
I'm glad sides are being taken more seriously these days. For me, they have long been what separated the men from the boys. When go to a restaurant I want a good complete meal. That said, I'll take great brisket with subpar sides over subpar brisket with great sides
Saxsoon
AG
I knew cattleack was legit when I saw hatch green Chile Mac and cheese
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
FredMc92
I reject the premise that all the bbq at these top places is the same.

In the past 6-8 months I've been to both Interstellar and Burnt Bean and in no way did the bbq compare to Franklin or Snow's.

Interstellar was very good ( and their sides were fantastic )

Burnt Bean was flat out bad on the day I went - just way overdone ribs and brisket. The sides were decent.

Ranking those places over Franklin or Snow's was silly and likely just because TM got tired of putting them 1/2 every time, IMO.
SpiderDude
AG
Everyone has bad days. That's probably the case for Burnt Bean. I think if you make the Top 10 or even Top 50 your meat has to be 9/10 or 10/10 for them to justify putting you there.
Martin Cash
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

I'm glad sides are being taken more seriously these days. For me, they have long been what separated the men from the boys. When go to a restaurant I want a good complete meal. That said, I'll take great brisket with subpar sides over subpar brisket with great sides
The only sides you need with BBQ are crackers, cheese, onion, dill pickle and a jalapeno pepper.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
AggieFabricator
You forgot the white bread too.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Martin Cash said:

DatTallArchitect said:

The only sides you need with BBQ are crackers, cheese, onion, dill pickle and a jalapeno pepper.
Only when you're having it as a snack.
rjones2688
3rd time at Goldees and they are still firing on all cylinders.

Cheese grits and potato salad are phenomenal along with all the meats.
CowtownAg06
AG
How was the line?
Koldus131
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

How was the line?
Ditto this. Trying to go for the first time since they were named #1 this Sunday and curious what to expect. Last time I went was the day before they were named #1.
tsuag10
AG
Brotherton's Black Iron BBQ in Pflugerville today. Excellent all around as always.

Beef Cheek
AG
Went to Chisholm Trail in Lockhart yesterday and it was ok!

agcrock2005
AG
Man that is a sad looking plate compared to all of the legit places now. Sad is a good word to describe the remnants of the bbq legends that occupied/occupy that once famous bbq town as well. My wife's parents lived there when we were dating and I'd go down there and I think other than Kreuz sausage, Chisolm Trail actually had the best bbq, and that wasn't saying much. Smitty's had the coolest atmosphere, but it was really just the old Kreuz because the family got into a fight and split it up. Bet they've lost a lot of revenue since the TM rankings came out and people realize that really good bbq is all over Texas, and NOT in Lockhart.
Koldus131
AG
Terry Black's is building a location in Lockhart as we speak and the day it opens it will be the best BBQ in Lockhart.
agcrock2005
AG
Koldus131 said:

Terry Black's is building a location in Lockhart as we speak and the day it opens it will be the best BBQ in Lockhart.
Wow! That's a big FU to his brother. Yes it will be. That's awesome.
RED AG 98
AG
Not gonna lie I love me some Chisolm. That was always where Dad chose to stop in our many treks from South Texas to Central Texas. No it's not Smitty's, Black's, Kreuz, or nearby City Market but imo it is good throw-down 'cue and good old school southern sides. A decent plate for a reasonable price.
Koldus131
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Koldus131 said:

I've never been more disappointed in my life by a BBQ place than this abomination of a tray from Black's I received in 2018.
schmendeler
AG
They owe you an apology for that
RED AG 98
AG
They could have at least rehydrated it before serving it
AggieFabricator
For what it's worth, this is actually one of the more impressive platters I've ever seen from Black's. Let's be honest, Lockhart BBQ isn't the best BBQ in Caldwell County (looking at you Luling City Market) much less the state.
rjones2688
CowtownAg06 said:

How was the line?
First time I went to goldees i went at 7 AM on a Sunday and was first in line

This time i went at 11:15 or so on SUNDAY and got my food in about an hour. Was not terrible. The only problem is there is only shade in the front of the line. If you are at the back you will roast in the sun until you move up lol

Sundays are the best day to go IMO
DatTallArchitect
AG
Beef Cheek, you're aways hitting up different BBQ places. Are there any BBQ restaurants that didn't make the top list (or even honorable mention) that you would suggest trying? If so, what are they?
JCRiley09
AG
Not sure if they're called TND BBQ or T&D BBQ (their branding is both, it's confusing), but it's delicious. They're in Weatherford, TX (Parker County, west of Fort Worth). The folks at the trailer were very nice and easy to strike up a conversation with. Also, their Tx Trinity plate is an incredible deal: 1/2 lb brisket, 1/2 lb ribs, one sausage link for $35

Y'all go now before they blow up and the line gets long.

TXAG 05
AG
Koldus131 said:

agcrock2005 said:

Koldus131 said:

I've never been more disappointed in my life by a BBQ place than this abomination of a tray from Black's I received in 2018.

Never got the hype with Blacks, gave them a few tries and it was always good but nothing special. Was very surprised when Texas Monthly rated them highly one of the past lists.
TXAG 05
AG
tsuag10 said:

Brotherton's Black Iron BBQ in Pflugerville today. Excellent all around as always.

You got more sides than meat on that tray. Come on!
JCRiley09
AG
When those lists were written, the bar was such that it was a great bbq joint!

We're spoiled. Before John Lewis and Franklin, the concept of great bbq was completely different. There was a 180 paradigm shift in the past 15 years.
Martin Cash
AG
AggieFabricator said:

For what it's worth, this is actually one of the more impressive platters I've ever seen from Black's. Let's be honest, Lockhart BBQ isn't the best BBQ in Caldwell County (looking at you Luling City Market) much less the state.
I smell sulfur!
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
agcrock2005
AG
JCRiley09 said:

When those lists were written, the bar was such that it was a great bbq joint!

We're spoiled. Before John Lewis and Franklin, the concept of great bbq was completely different. There was a 180 paradigm shift in the past 15 years.
Very much agree with this, with the exception of Snows which opened 19 years ago.
AggieFabricator
My olfactory nerve quit working when I was 5. I don't even smell it anymore. It's way better than it used to be for sure.
tsuag10
AG
I will admit I was a little disappointed with the amount of brisket they gave me, but the quality was there, so I'm not complaining.
JCRiley09
AG
Brotherton's is a place where I'm going for one of their sandwiches and maybe a small portion of another protein on the side. These days a plate of bbq is getting hard to distinguish from one joint to the next, but Brotherton elevates his food in the flavors you get from the sandwiches.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.