Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

497,818 Views | 3303 Replies | Last: 20 hrs ago by Jock 07
AggieLong
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We made the trip to Snow's last summer. We got there around 5:30 and were about 50th in line. Lots of folks camped out all night. The line was pretty long but the time they opened at 8am.
jja79
AG
I lived about 5 miles from both Tejas and Corkscrew for years so I got spoiled. Now live in the BBQ desert but that chili relleno sausage is absolutely next level.
Jock 07
AG
CO Springs BBQ
Jock 07
AG
https://www.chron.com/food/article/texas-smokehouse-closes-bryan-fargo-19557909

Never really understood the hype, but still, sad to see them go.
agcrock2005
AG
Link broken, or they took it down. Getting 404 error.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Jock 07 said:

https://www.chron.com/food/article/texas-smokehouse-closes-bryan-fargo-19557909

Never really understood the hype, but still, sad to see them go.
The "hype" was that they used to be really good.

Fargo's was my introduction to really good barbecue when I was in college. 2012 or so when they were carry out only near the co-op.

Then they moved a little further south down Texas, and quality seemed to drop a little. Then they moved to their last location. Quality definitely seemed to suffer, along with what I would expect to be significantly increased operating costs due to a much larger building (a building that presented a very strange atmosphere for a barbecue joint).

I hate to see it go, but I honestly hadn't gone much in the last several years. And it seemed like that was the case for a lot of people, as their parking lot was usually empty at lunch time when I drive by.
Mathguy64
AG
They made a step from small scale, cash only, carry out only craft BBQ, to lunch every day, sit in and taking CCs. That's a leap up in quantity and that's going to hit quality. When they were in the old blue shack it was definitely very very good. They earned that top 50 spot and their ribs were as good as it gets.

Then they moved again to a place where they tried to make a lunch and dinner service. That ended as you would expect.
Jock 07
AG
Maybe it's just my memory failing me, but when I went a few times when I was in school in the mid 00s I didn't find it to be exceptional. Certainly better than c&js & j Cody's though.
The Milkman
AG

I sadly don't live in TX at this point so I'm always on the search for suitable BBQ. I have to say this was by far the best Texas BBQ I've ever had outside of the state.

This is from 2Fifty BBQ in College Park MD and was really really great. The photo didn't do the brisket any favors, but it was really good. Probably 7.5/10. Ribs and sausage were 10s. Sides were very tasty too.

They had some fun things on the menu like a brisket tamale.

If it was in central TX instead of outside DC this would be a Texas Monthly Top 50 I have no doubt.
Jock 07
AG
I've heard good things about https://www.zzqrva.com if you're ever down near Richmond as well.
agcrock2005
AG
I like all the mustard seeds in the sausage.
The Milkman
AG
Jock 07 said:

I've heard good things about https://www.zzqrva.com if you're ever down near Richmond as well.
Its good and better than almost all of them around the DMV. Not quite at this level though.
DiskoTroop
It's not Top 50 or even in Texas but I imagine yall will appreciate this…

Blanchard's BBQ in Lafayette, LA.

Fatty brisket, beef based chile and cheese sausage, green chile corn casserole and their house mac and cheese. Also picture Evangeline Maid Bread because IYKYK.

Solid 6.9/10 over all
Brisket was 7/10 - good job, nice flavor, good smoke
Sausage was 6.5/10 - interesting flavor, great grind and good cook, just unique flavoring
Corn - 8/10 - very nice, well composed dish
Mac - 6/10 - over cooked, little grainy sauce

Sauces were an espresso based sauce, root beer based sauce and a creole mustard based sauce. All were pretty good and the root beer and espresso complimented the meat well. I'm sure the mustard sauce is great with pork or poultry.
JoCoAg09
AG
Just thought y'all might enjoy this.

MyNameIsJeff
AG
It does look good. I'd pay $30-40 for it.
NColoradoAG
Had some surprisingly good BBQ in Gardiner Montana last night. Reasonable prices too for a tourist town.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Are those lil' smokies?
LateAg16
Can anyone share some insight on the likelihood Tejas would be out of the more popular proteins on a Wednesday evening for supper? Heading in from San Antonio area today and weighing our options for this evening.

Update:
Made it to Tejas for our first time and everything was fantastic. Brisket, chile relleno sausage and carrot souffl were definitely the stand outs.
jja79
AG
I'll be in San Antonio next weekend. Any recommendations?
mavsfan4ever
AG
anyone had vaqueros bbq? One is opening up in the watters creek shopping center in Allen. Menu looks great. Apparently they have been a food truck in grapevine at hop and sting brewery for a while.

https://www.vaquerostexasbarbq.com/

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/2023/11/heres-what-to-expect-from-vaqueros-texas-bar-b-q-when-it-opens-in-allen-next-year/

agcrock2005
AG
I have not had it but have heard that his food is legit. His instagram pics have been insane for years if that means anything. I think the moving so far from Grapevine is a little weird, but maybe he had an investor or another opportunity that he couldn't pass up.
Koldus131
AG
Yes have been there, yes it's very good. Fringe top 50 level, but doing cool stuff with the menu rather than just generic central TX style craft BBQ. It will be very interesting to see how the transition from food truck to brick and mortar 30 miles away goes. Would definitely recommend trying it out once it opens in Allen!
mavsfan4ever
AG
Sounds like he did. The d magazine article says M Crowd (mi cocina, etc) is an investor/partner now to help with the business side while he focuses on the cooking, etc. we will see how that works out.

I thought it was a little strange to not open up in grapevine. I know the location because it was a Beaux Beaux's bourbon and biscuit bar, which I had high hopes for but ended up not being great. Great drinks but the food was mediocre. It's not a very big spot, and watters creek seems like a weird place for a bbq restaurant. But there is great parking right next to it (big lot) so hopefully it will do well.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea I'll definitely try it out. Menu looks right up my alley. Not sure when they open. I just saw the sign the other day.
CDub06
AG
2M Smokehouse is top notch in the state.
CDub06
AG
I'll add on to your Tejas post. We went on Saturday as usual. Arrived at 9:55 to get Golden Ticket #3. There were several groups there by opening, but by the time we left at noon, there were just a few people in line. You don't have to show up super early anymore.

Everything was phenomenal as usual. It's still my favorite on this side of Houston. But the prices have gone up noticeably. I'd commented on it, knowing the cost of meat is driving it. Brisket was $36/pound.

After paying, I noticed they're taking on a 15% service fee as well.

This came out to be $220.

A while back, I was surprised at how few people were coming through compared to a few years ago. But it's these prices. That's prohibitive for a lot of people. That's what's shutting the doors at bbq spots.
Koldus131
AG
CDub06 said:

2M Smokehouse is top notch in the state.

Also Reese Bros
Koldus131
AG
A 15% service fee is nuts. I usually tip 10-15% at these places because I genuinely appreciate the food and the time that goes into it. If I'm getting charged a 15% service fee that tip is going to 0% real quick.
DiskoTroop
CDub06 said:

I'll add on to your Tejas post. We went on Saturday as usual. Arrived at 9:55 to get Golden Ticket #3. There were several groups there by opening, but by the time we left at noon, there were just a few people in line. You don't have to show up super early anymore.

Everything was phenomenal as usual. It's still my favorite on this side of Houston. But the prices have gone up noticeably. I'd commented on it, knowing the cost of meat is driving it. Brisket was $36/pound.

A while back, I was surprised at how few people were coming through compared to a few years ago. But it's these prices. That's prohibitive for a lot of people. That's what's shutting the doors at bbq spots.

$220 at 10am for bbq and paying a 15% service fee is too much for me. I have been wanting to try that famous sausage of theirs but I think I just decided against going. Thanks for that!
jja79
AG
Thanks for the SA recommendation. I lived in Gleannloch and worked in Tomball for quite a while and never had to wait in a line at Tejas.
Mathguy64
AG
CDub06 said:

Ok. $220. But how many did that feed? That's a ton of food. I'm looking at that, guessing weights and figuring you can feed 8 adults there. That puts the per person costs in a different light.

It's not BBQ that's prohibitive, it's eating out period. It's hitting restaurants all across the board. And $30/person is still on the lower end to eat out compared to lots of sit down meals.
CDub06
AG
2.5 pounds of brisket. Half rack of ribs. 2 links of sausage. 4 sides. 4 drinks.

Food for 4 adults, 1 child. (I took the leftovers and had enough brisket for 2 more dinners for myself).
CDub06
AG
DiskoTroop said:

$220 at 10am for bbq and paying a 15% service fee is too much for me. I have been wanting to try that famous sausage of theirs but I think I just decided against going. Thanks for that!
You should still absolutely go. As I said, it's still one of my favorites (which is why we're there so frequently). And that chile relleno sausage is my favorite anywhere. It's certainly worth the trip.
DiskoTroop
CDub06 said:

DiskoTroop said:

You should still absolutely go. As I said, it's still one of my favorites (which is why we're there so frequently). And that chile relleno sausage is my favorite anywhere. It's certainly worth the trip.

It's so tempting… I guess I still need to keep it as a "if I'm ever in the area…" trip.
Project Gemini
AG
DiskoTroop said:

CDub06 said:

DiskoTroop said:

It's so tempting… I guess I still need to keep it as a "if I'm ever in the area…" trip.
Yeah, don't miss out on this one. They have an exceptional beef rib as well when it is on the menu. Beef rib + chile relleno sausage + chocolate is a baller meal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.