Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

455,980 Views | 3186 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by jja79
NColoradoAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rockdale. We knew it was a longshot to get bbq around 3pm but hoped the wind might keep people away. I'll have to make the trip when I'm back for a football game.
JCRiley09
AG
I am here once again to sing the praises of Dayne's Craft BBQ in Ft. Worth. I switched things up and got the burger this time (Best Smash Burger in "Dallas" 2021) and it did not disappoint. I got a couple spare ribs for my son and one of every side. Every bite was great.

There were probably 20 people in line and it went pretty quick. Probably had our food within 40 minutes of arriving.

Sorry for no pics.
AgsWin2011
AG
Had 1775 again yesterday. Nothing in Brazos County even comes close. And the Doan's are great people.

Yesterday it was so good I would put it on par with Terry Black's and Snow's (my two favorites). But 1775 is getting better. Maybe it's that new smoker they got.
AggieFabricator
That burger is unreal. Dayne and Thomas are cooking some amazing food. I'm not saying just because I built their pit either, it's great. It's on an elite level much like the Leroy and Lewis burger.
Objective Aggie
AG
1775 is one of those places that has good food and owners that you are rooting for.

407 in Argyle falls in that category.
rjones2688
Daynes is criminally underrated. Def have to get back to them this weekend
CaptnCarl
AG
Went to Dayne's a few weeks back. Fantastic. Ribs were delicious. They were out of most the sides, though. I did notice the Centex Smoker sitting off to the side.

JCRiley09
AG
https://amp.star-telegram.com/entertainment/restaurants/article260047435.html

AggieFabricator, any insight on Dayne's next move with Lola's moving?
AggieFabricator
Nothing that I can share at this time, but I'd expect a even bigger and better Daynes location in the near future.
tsuag10
AG
Last week I had Valentina's in South Austin for the first time and the brisket was excellent.
tsuag10
AG
Also, I just wanted to say this:

There are some folks on this board and on the OB that talk about how "easy" it is to make a good brisket.

I can tell you from my experience of eating at a lot of supposedly "decent" BBQ places that it is most definitely not "easy" to make a good brisket on a day-in, day-out basis.

I've eaten a whooooole bunch of really average brisket at some very busy BBQ places in TX.

Restaurants that consistently put out good brisket definitely deserve to be appreciated.
Koldus131
AG
tsuag10 said:

There are some folks on this board and on the OB that talk about how "easy" it is to make a good brisket.

I can tell you from my experience of eating at a lot of supposedly "decent" BBQ places that it is most definitely not "easy" to make a good brisket on a day-in, day-out basis.

I've eaten a whooooole bunch of really average brisket at some very busy BBQ places in TX.

Restaurants that consistently put out good brisket definitely deserve to be appreciated.
It's also much easier to make one brisket in one cook vs 100 in one cook.
tsuag10
AG
Koldus131 said:

tsuag10 said:

It's also much easier to make one brisket in one cook vs 100 in one cook.
Agreed
tsuag10
AG
Baker Boys in Gonzales today.

Raspberry Chipotle Pork Loin was good. Brisket was excellent. Both beans were just kinda there. Their potatoes looked excellent, but I'm trying to eat healthier…

I'd definitely come back for the brisket.
tsuag10
AG
Had Truth in Houston yesterday.
Brisket was awesome.
Pork ribs had excellent flavor but these were slightly under-cooked and still a little tough.
Tater tot casserole was absolutely killer.
Brussel sprouts were probably an 8/10 as far as brussels go.

Sorry no pics.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Anyone been to Khoi Barbecue in Houston?
?auto=compress&crop=faces&fit=scale&fm=pjpg&h=683&ixlib=php-1.2.1&q=45&w=1024&wpsize=large
JCRiley09
AG
No, but that picture makes me want to go
Beef Cheek
AG
Don and Theo are great people

agcrock2005
AG
Cowboy Curtis said:

Anyone been to Khoi Barbecue in Houston?
?auto=compress&crop=faces&fit=scale&fm=pjpg&h=683&ixlib=php-1.2.1&q=45&w=1024&wpsize=large
I want that Ramen right ****ing now!
agcrock2005
AG
That's a great video. Wish I were near them. I'd love to try their stuff out.
CowtownAg06
AG
i can't figure out where it is? Food truck at this point?
agcrock2005
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

Video said they were doing popups and cooking in their front yards at this point. To keep their neighbors from turning them in they give them bbq.
Unemployed
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

They usually have their pop-up at either Tenfold Coffee or Baileson Brewing.

Check their Instagram for when and where. They got one this Sunday at Tenfold.

https://instagr.am/p/CciNXRpLbPh
Buzzy
Beef Cheek said:

Don and Theo are great people

That is true Texas-Vietnamese fusion, and also the best video I've watched in a while. Thanks for posting it.
Wild West Pimp Style
Saxsoon
AG
Objective Aggie said:

At Vaqueros in line.

What should I know?

Also slowest line I have ever seen. It like people that got fired from TSA and what a burger.

This is really bad. Everything looks and smells great but they are on the second group getting their order 15 minutes after opening. Third group hasn't even ordered
Beef Cheek
AG
Had breakfast at Briscuits this morning and confirmed it's still amazing!

JCRiley09
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Had breakfast at Briscuits this morning and confirmed it's still amazing!

Undoubtedly best bbq bite I've had in a long time!
ChipFTAC01
AG
Where is that?
JCRiley09
AG
Briscuits at Radio Coffee in Austin. Off Menchaca and Ben White

Beef Cheeks introduced it to me this morning. Highly recommend
rjones2688
Tex Mex Platter At Vaqueros in grapevine. Solid all around.
agcrock2005
AG
I cooked in the Smokedown bbq competition this weekend in Fort Worth and after turn ins my buddy and I were down looking at some bbq pits (AJ Customs I think is the name) when I saw the Smokaholics guys next to me. I said hello and congratulated him for making the Top 50 and he thanked me and started telling me how the Panther City BBQ guys helped him out a lot when he was trying to get into BBQ. Next thing I know Ernie and Chris (Panther City owners) are standing next to me. I bought them each a couple beers and then next thing you know they're giving me beers out of their ice chests and talking bbq for a couple hours. Great guys and had a blast hanging out with them. Now I really look forward to visiting their places.
schmendeler
AG
Awesome story!
rjones2688
loved the meats at panther city and they def give you more food than you order which is great but unfortunately the sides were really weak IMO. Insanely salty and just bad overall. .
RustyBoltz
AG
I've been trying to make it over there while up in the area.
Do they offer the texmex platter on the weekends or is it a Taco Tuesday only offering?
BurnetAggie99
The sides look good shame they heavy on the salt.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.