Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

433,021 Views | 3127 Replies | Last: 42 min ago by ChipFTAC01
AggieFabricator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've never figured out how Lockhart is the BBQ capital of Texas, when it's not even the best in its own county. City Market. The end.
Beef Cheek
AG
Was just a quick trip to Kreuz, it all tasted better than it looked.

No vid coming, but we brainstormed some ideas for future ones
rolling_ridgeag05
Are you even including the new Terry Blacks?

The last few times at City Market it has definitely been off it's A game but then again I think all Caldwell County BBQ places (with the exception of Terry Blacks) have been declining over the last few years. And as a Caldwell County boy that pains me to say but they've all been passed up. It's hard (not impossible) to compete with others who cook a set amount and when they run out they run out as opposed to having set hours.

With that said the sausage at Smitty's (or Kruez) will always be my favorite.

Koldus131
AG
Chuck (bbqrat) who was at Goldee's is going to put Lockhart back on the map
Beef Cheek
agcrock2005
AG
Koldus131 said:

Chuck (bbqrat) who was at Goldee's is going to put Lockhart back on the map
Wow...didn't know she was heading down there. Good for her.
AggieFabricator
Oh yeah! She's opening up right next door to my favorite bar (and burger) Old Pal in Lockhart.
tsuag10
AG
Hurtado in Arlington today.

Brisket was tender but a little dry. Slaw and pintos were solid. Sausage was very good and interesting/different. Certainly will come back again.

Buzzy

Giving that link the centipede cut
Wild West Pimp Style
tsuag10
AG
Helberg in Woodway (Waco) today.

Street Corn Slaw was different and pretty decent. Pintos were good. Brisket was a little undercooked, but still tender and had a great flavor. The pork steak was amazing. If I went back again I might only get the pork steak.
Bulldog73
AG
Their pork steak is in my top bites of anything I've ever eaten.

Also, I think they just brought back their Turkey which was really good too.
AgsWin2011
AG
I love pork steak. Miss Tootsie puts out one of the best pork steaks I've ever had.
wadd96
AG
Yes she does. But Helberg is right on her heals. (And I think I make a pretty damn good one... Sent 4 out to Cali for Christmas...
Mathguy64
AG
AgsWin2011 said:

I love pork steak. Miss Tootsie puts out one of the best pork steaks I've ever had.

People go for the brisket. I go for the pork steak. It may be my single most favorite thing in all of Texas BBQ.
wadd96
AG
There are trips out there that is the only thing I order... In fact, I used their pork steak for a carnitas dish at a wine dinner I was hosting...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Mathguy64
AG
That seems like cheating to me.
BohunkAg
AG
Wadd you never used to strike me as a wine dinner type guy.
wadd96
AG
I've matured, and have grown into a chef that can cater a multi-course wine pairing dinner wherever I need to. Including five meals in Napa back in August.
CDub06
AG

Forgot to share the spread from 2M in San Antonio last week. It's my dad's favorite of all. It's not #1 for me, but is elite. Every visit I hope they've added tea to their drinks. Still hoping…
Aggie09Derek
AG
Just curious, what would be your top 5?

That plate looks delicious
AggieFabricator
It's been passed along to the management…
schmendeler
AG
I've never been, but i agree, fresh brewed tea is a prerequisite!
BohunkAg
AG
wadd96 said:

I've matured, and have grown into a chef that can cater a multi-course wine pairing dinner wherever I need to. Including five meals in Napa back in August.
I may have to get you over to my place you son of a gun.....I need to impress the old lady this summer...she has a big birthday coming up soon.
BohunkAg
AG
So I've got a question....people always post these huge ass plates and spreads from these BBQ joints. How do people eat all this food?
schmendeler
AG
What kind of "impression" were you looking for?
jja79
AG
BohunkAg said:

So I've got a question....people always post these huge ass plates and spreads from these BBQ joints. How do people eat all this food?
This is why you have friends.
BohunkAg
AG
jja79 said:

BohunkAg said:

This is why you have friends.
This is where I have erred over the years.
GIF Reactor
AG
BohunkAg said:

I've wondered the same thing and just figured the person wanted to try out a bunch of different stuff and took the rest to go, especially when there are individual portions of sides shown. Or maybe you get it all free if you can eat the whole tray.

wadd96
AG
Having done this several times, and the answer is with a group of people. We would sometimes have 5-6 people, sometimes more on these BBQ runs.
Saxsoon
AG
I always end up going to cattleack on my own just because I don't work on Friday's. I always seem a different a couple ahead of me that looks like they are ordering for 10 haha. Two trays of food 4 beef ribs, pounds of meat. I have to assume they are buying ahead for the future. But definitely seen orders north of $200 for just two
wadd96
AG
The Sunday before Christmas, I was in Brenham to celebrate with my brothers family. There were 7 of us, including a 13 year old food vacuum. Our bill was $300. 2# Brisket, i# Turkey, 6 ribs (pork,) and all 4 sausages and 4 large sides.
BohunkAg
AG
wadd96 said:

The Sunday before Christmas, I was in Brenham to celebrate with my brothers family. There were 7 of us, including a 13 year old food vacuum. Our bill was $300. 2# Brisket, i# Turkey, 6 ribs (pork,) and all 4 sausages and 4 large sides.
Yeah, I have 2 teenage boys and one that's nearly a teen. I try not to take them to these places very often.
DiskoTroop
I have a separate thread on the Houston board for this but anyone on the north side of Houston should run over to Fire Craft BBQ. They opened their brick and mortar on Tuesday for soft opening. 11a-sold out.

ETA: Man yall are harsh... a different picture taken with a real camera, not my iphone.

I think he'll be on the list next go round.

A better picture from their Facebook:

jja79
AG
Never been there but that doesn't look good. The Mac and cheese looks like instant.
BohunkAg
AG
What is stuffed in that sausage?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.