Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

442,062 Views | 3168 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by Project Gemini
Bulldog73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was fine. Their bourbon selection and prices was the best part of what we had.
Beef Cheek
AG
Spotted in South Austin.

Not sure if this is a BQ or one of y'all!
wadd96
AG
Wish it were mine...
DaveHimself
AG
Cruz BBQ Company in Maypearl for lunch. They've been open just over a year and all meats and sides are fantastic (including the banana pudding not pictured). Between me and my friend we got pretty much everything on the menu.

DV did a write up a few months ago.
https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/cruz-bbq-company-maypearl/

BurnetAggie99
Was shocked to read they only use straight charcoal in their BBQ pit. That's a pretty unique thing especially in Texas.
TXAG 05
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Was shocked to read they only use straight charcoal in their BBQ pit. That's a pretty unique thing especially in Texas.

A big surprise for me when I first went to help out a family friend's team at Memphis in May was that everyone used charcoal, no wood.
drred4
Until I recently got an offset. All we ever used for barrel pits and cinder block/ brick pits was B&B post oak charcoal. Makes pretty much same bbq as I do now. Good smoke ring and flavor. Still use B&B while smoking or grilling
BurnetAggie99
We have a brick pit that my Grandfather built. It's similar to the ones you see at Cooper's in Llano.. Still use it from time to time but I use a mix of post oak wood coals to cook with. I only use charcoal to start the fire and make post oak wood coals to shovel in the pit.
drred4
I love those pits. Brings back memories at grandparents and also at fundraisers for Volunteer fire departments, etc.
BohunkAg
AG
The church we used to go to down in Magnolia had an old cinder block pit. That's what we used to do. Was labor intensive but made some damn fine BBQ
jah003
S
Solid day at Interstellar.
DiskoTroop
Got a brisket from Fire Craft in Kingwood for family celebration today. Really good! About 11lbs. Nice finish weight. Point and flat were moist and amazing.

Should be open for retail sales after the first of the year. Open for preorder now.

dmart90
AG
Drove by there around 10:30 and saw the line. I've never had their BBQ and always wonder if it is worth the line...
wadd96
AG
It is.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
tex2000
AG
Going to Terry blacks in Dallas today. Anything I need to get there?
BurnetAggie99
Brisket and Beef Ribs
jah003
S
dmart90 said:

Drove by there around 10:30 and saw the line. I've never had their BBQ and always wonder if it is worth the line...

I have found that the Interstellar line doesn't even really start until 10:20-10:30. If you get there anytime before 10:20 you're going to be at worst maybe 5th in line. We got there about 9:45 yesterday and were second in line. Not bad at all for the #2 BBQ place in the state.
Chipotlemonger
AG
jah003 said:

dmart90 said:

I have found that the Interstellar line doesn't even really start until 10:20-10:30. If you get there anytime before 10:20 you're going to be at worst maybe 5th in line. We got there about 9:45 yesterday and were second in line. Not bad at all for the #2 BBQ place in the state.

That's awesome.

You've been singing the interstellar praise for years, I should have gone when I lived in close proximity like you!
Buzzy
TXAG 05 said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

A big surprise for me when I first went to help out a family friend's team at Memphis in May was that everyone used charcoal, no wood.
I've never done Memphis-style barbecue, just read about it. Apparently with them it's all about the dry rub and slow-smoking over charcoal. It stems from the 'traditional' method started by Greek immigrants who slow-roasted minimally spiced meat over a charcoal pit like they did back in the old country. One Greek did this with leftover pork ribs and a whole new barbecue cuisine was created.
Wild West Pimp Style
BBRex
AG
Quote:

Going to Terry blacks in Dallas today. Anything I need to get there?

I hear the sausage is really good.
LawHall88
AG
JCA1
AG
LawHall88 said:

That's a pretty good line. Must have made the top 50.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Pustka Family Barbecue (TexAgs handle AustinAgChef) mentioned on Daniel Vaughan's favorite bites of 2022.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/best-texas-bbq-2022/?utm_medium=Organic+Social&utm_source=Twitter
Bulldog73
AG
Is that the family that had one in Hutto for a bit? Is that still around or just move to temple?
schmendeler
AG
Moved to temple
Matsui
AG
I'll check them
Out. I'm from temple and go often
Big Al 1992
AG
These are all great and had them all a few times but this was first time to have them all close together in last couple weeks
Corkscrew>Truth>Pinkerton>Tejas Chocolate
RAM700BA
AG
LawHall88 said:

Guy in car driving by: "Pshhh, I'd never wait in a line like that for bbq. I can make it as good or better at my house. My family all tell me it's the best they've ever had."
schmendeler
AG
Corkscrew also my favorite of those. Though all are great.
wadd96
AG
Yes. His dad retired and moved back to Temple. Dustin and Virginia followed with the girls.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
agcrock2005
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Pustka Family Barbecue (TexAgs handle AustinAgChef) mentioned on Daniel Vaughan's favorite bites of 2022.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/best-texas-bbq-2022/?utm_medium=Organic+Social&utm_source=Twitter
Dustin is my cousin (in-law) and puts out great food. In new location that will eventually be brick and mortar. Expect good things out of him and his dad.
Saxsoon
AG
What are some of the non top 50 places in DFW y'all would recommend. Love me Cattleack and Hutchins but hoping to expand out to some other options (I am in Dallas but could make my way out to Fort Worth in the future if need be)

I haven't enjoyed Pecan Lodge or Terry Blacks when I have been there in the past
Koldus131
AG
Vaquero's in Grapevine
Beef Cheek
AG
Can you guys believe Chud had never had BBQ in Lockhart until today?

agcrock2005
AG
He looks about as happy as I do after eating in that once-great BBQ town. Was it all trash?

EDIT: Going to be a video on the trip? Where all did you go and what was the favorite?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.