Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

433,069 Views | 3127 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by ChipFTAC01
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmendeler said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Pizzatolas on the honorable mention list? Is that just a hat tip to when there was no decent bbq in Houston. The one or two times I went there a 10+ years ago it didn't seem to belong anywhere near tjis list.

They have new owners who have been trying to climb out of the mediocrity of being stubbornly "East Egg."

Good on them. And I'm greatly looking forward to the east egg/west egg conversation.

CDub06
AG
schmendeler said:

Edit: to NColoradoAG

Those Chile relleno sausages are amazing.

Pro-tip pick up some chocolate truffles for the wife (or whoever) to bring back. You'll be a hero.
For sure. That is seriously my favorite sausage. My dad even gets extra when he comes up here to keep in the freezer back home. Smoked a brisket this weekend and pulled some chile relleno sausage to go with it. Can't beat it.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Very nice. One technicality…the Lockhart that got OM was Plano, not Bishop Arts. Which has to be causing some fun conversations between their pitmasters.
Ate there a few months ago. The worst brisket I have had in quite a while. Dont understand how they received an honorable mention
agcrock2005
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Very nice. One technicality…the Lockhart that got OM was Plano, not Bishop Arts. Which has to be causing some fun conversations between their pitmasters.
Ate there a few months ago. The worst brisket I have had in quite a while. Dont understand how they received an honorable mention
Agree. All 3 Lockharts (including the entire city) are not worthy of making any TM list IMO.
AggieFabricator
No issues with Lockhart falling off, but Luling deserved to be on.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I guess I'm lucky...I've never anything but great Lockhart experiences.
AggieFabricator
I live in Luling, and actually really enjoy Smitty's, actually just ate there Sunday. But I also eat at Burnt Bean pretty much every week, and at 2M a lot as well. I think they got this one right.
BSD
AG
I need to hit up Luling to eat. It's either too late when I drive by or we're in a hurry and I don't have time. I just need to make time.

Someday…
AggieFabricator
It's worth it.
lazuras_dc
AG
How's the line at burnt bean? Also do they'd serve bbq meat by the pound on Sunday for breakfast or is their Sunday breakfast menu the only thing they serve then.
Beef Cheek
AG
Whatever the Burnt Bean line was in the past, it just got a whole lot longer.
AggieFabricator
So I recommend going on a Saturday or Sunday, these are the days Ernest works the cutting board and the lines the fastest these days. Now that the list is out, I can't really speak on the line for this week, but usually on Sundays from 8:30 to 9:30 is the best time to go and the lines typically inside the door (10 minutes or so) I know you can usually get brisket and ribs and porkchops on Sunday mornings, but sausage and turkey are not usually available that early. The breakfast is it's own experience in itself. It's wonderful, and the place has amazing vibe and feeling. Also, if you're looking for legit top 5 worthy BBQ (an epic snub this year in a lot of folks opinions) drive over to San Antone and go eat at 2M smokehouse, it's excellent!
lazuras_dc
AG
I had 2M a handful of years ago and it was definitely great stuff!
agcrock2005
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Curious what you and your team are trying to do to increase capacity, if anything. I know you had lines before this but I can only imagine they just quadrupled over night. Has to be a hard battle between increasing capacity and maintaining the same quality I'd imagine. Always thought that was Franklin's strongest asset. Congrats btw.
agfan2013
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Agreed, I probably have it in my personal top 5 of places I've actually been to:

Franklin, Truth, 2M, Burnt Bean, Snows.

1775 pit bbq, Louie Mueller, Terry Blacks, Kerlin, and LA bbq round out my top 10.

My top targets as of now are: Brett's backyard bbq in Rockdale (I've driven past it multiple times since they made the top 25 new places list in 2019 and tried to go one day but they were closed), Leroy & Lewis and visit Mr Beef Cheek apparently, Corkscrew in Houston, and Helberg in Waco.

Places i've been on the list that I dont think are top 50 worthy: LJs in Brenham (good but nothing special), Guess Family in Waco (maybe an off day?), and Mickelthwait (have several friends that have had sub par experiences here too).
Quinn
AG
Mickelthwait is an interesting one. It does seem like I've seen a lot of posters on here commenting that it isn't up to snuff with the rest of the list. I went once, and it was absurdly slow. Like, I know the lines take awhile and I have *no* problem waiting, but it was unreasonable. The food was good, but man, a really bad customer experience.
agcrock2005
AG
Quinn said:

Mickelthwait is an interesting one. It does seem like I've seen a lot of posters on here commenting that it isn't up to snuff with the rest of the list. I went once, and it was absurdly slow. Like, I know the lines take awhile and I have *no* problem waiting, but it was unreasonable. The food was good, but man, a really bad customer experience.
Same for me. It's been several years now, but they were very slow. Nice folks when you made it to order but a line 20 deep took damn near an hour to get through. Their sausage was incredible however and I remember the brisket and sides being great. How slow it was however was what made me not go back.
CDub06
AG
So…what do we think the interstellar line is going to look like today?
AustinCountyAg
agfan2013 said:

lazuras_dc said:

Agreed, I probably have it in my personal top 5 of places I've actually been to:

1775 pit bbq, Louie Mueller, Terry Blacks, Kerlin, and LA bbq round out my top 10.

My top targets as of now are: Brett's backyard bbq in Rockdale (I've driven past it multiple times since they made the top 25 new places list in 2019 and tried to go one day but they were closed), Leroy & Lewis and visit Mr Beef Cheek apparently, Corkscrew in Houston, and Helberg in Waco.

Places i've been on the list that I dont think are top 50 worthy: LJs in Brenham (good but nothing special), Guess Family in Waco (maybe an off day?), and Mickelthwait (have several friends that have had sub par experiences here too).
LJ's has no business being in the top 50
TXAG 05
AG
AggieFabricator said:

It's worth it.

For sure. Love City Market, first place I had my mind blown by BBQ. Breaking a sausage link in half, wrapping it in a slice of bread and dipping in their sauce is a meal I could eat forever. And bring cash.
Boat Shoes
AG
TXAG 05 said:

AggieFabricator said:

It's worth it.

For sure. Love City Market, first place I had my mind blown by BBQ. Breaking a sausage link in half, wrapping it in a slice of bread and dipping in their sauce is a meal I could eat forever. And bring cash.

Best sausage in the state. I pick some up every time I drive through.
CDub06
AG
CDub06 said:

So…what do we think the interstellar line is going to look like today?

AggieFabricator
AustinCountyAg said:

agfan2013 said:

lazuras_dc said:

LJ's has no business being in the top 50

I'd disagree with this, now while it may not be an "experience" like other places, I ate here almost weekly for a year when I was working a project up here, I think it's definitely worthy of Top 50 in my opinion. Sides are great, ribs and sausage are excellent, good brisket. I liked it.
Koldus131
AG
I can't wait for the Goldee's pictures on Friday and Saturday. They have 35 parking spots total
Beef Cheek
AG

schmendeler
AG
"Tommy want wingy" is an amazing name. Is their stuff good?
ftworthag02
AG
Where's that?
lazuras_dc
AG
agfan2013 said:

lazuras_dc said:

Texags group trip to L&L to visit BeefCheek? Maybe we can get a fastpass for the line
agcrock2005
AG
ftworthag02 said:

Where's that?
My guess is at his work...Leroy & Lewis.
Beef Cheek
AG
schmendeler said:

"Tommy want wingy" is an amazing name. Is their stuff good?

They're fantastic, my favorite wings in town. They do a French cut on them that will make you wish everyone took the time to do it.
Beef Cheek
AG
agcrock2005 said:

ftworthag02 said:

Where's that?
My guess is at his work...Leroy & Lewis.

Correct!
schmendeler
AG
Well damn, now I have two places I need to hit up.
Beef Cheek
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Beef Cheek said:

Curious what you and your team are trying to do to increase capacity, if anything. I know you had lines before this but I can only imagine they just quadrupled over night. Has to be a hard battle between increasing capacity and maintaining the same quality I'd imagine. Always thought that was Franklin's strongest asset. Congrats btw.

We've been staffing up, have a couple of new pit cooks coming on board. Got an Austin native that's been cooking at Lewis BBQ in Charleston for the last year. We've made some changes to our prep schedule, about to move into a new commissary space, etc.

For the last 4+ years we've been running our cooks during service, so the guy on the cutting block is also watching the fire… with our new system someone can focus solely on the cook so I'd imagine the quality and consistency can only go up.
Beef Cheek
AG
schmendeler said:

Well damn, now I have two places I need to hit up.

Eat wings while you wait in line for 'cue.
schmendeler
AG
Now that's synergy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.