Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

432,950 Views | 3126 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by DatTallArchitect
979ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vaquero's: still the most underrated spot in the metroplex, maybe Texas.

Showed up at noon when they opened, and was second in line. So all you idiots that won't wait in line for bbq, feel free to venture over and treat yourself.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Looks great
TequilaMockingbird
979ag said:

Showed up at noon when they opened, and was second in line. So all you idiots that won't wait in line for bbq, feel free to venture over and treat yourself.

I want that inside me.
Jsimonds58
AG
It's damn good, Trey does a great job over there
Buzzy

I honestly want to go there just to try those tortillas, they look light and fluffy.

Was this a specific combo you ordered, or did you build your own plate?
979ag
AG
This was their "Tour of Tex-Mex" and I added a couple extra tacos. They have a variety of plates, or you can build a la carte. Sadly they didn't have their elote the day we went. But you can see all of their bites on their Instagram @vaquerostxbbq

Great people that run the truck, and it is parked next to local brewery. Great vibes, great food, and cool concept
Objective Aggie
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

It may not be Top 50, but Lockhart Plano's brisket was on point today.

I find Lockhart to be good. It's not elite but it get forgotten easily.
jja79
AG
Short line at Corkscrew today due to the cold weather. Delicious as always.
tamu05ag
AG
FredMc92 said:

Anybody been to Snow's lately?

What kind of line should we expect if we get there at 7? How about 8?

Thanks in advance.

Went to Snow's in early December. I got there at 7:30 and was 104th in line. They cook a lot extra and sell online so not a huge fear of running out, just a long wait.
SpiderDude
AG
Waiting in line...
SpiderDude
AG
I got brisket, peach tea glazed pork belly, turkey and jalapeno popper sausage for protein. For sides got scalloped potatoes, gouda mac, tomato zucchini and jalapeno slaw. Butterscotch blondie for dessert. Got the "free beans" and made several trips to the complimentary beer cooler!

Brisket was 10/10. Pork belly was straight meat candy...12/10!!! Everything was Interstellar!
LawHall88
AG
Saxsoon
AG
Anyone recommend some good BBQ over in the Garland area? Just moved
fav13andac1)c
AG
Saxsoon said:

I like Intrinsic Brewing. They've got good beers and their bbq is pretty spot on. Pretty cool spot. https://intrinsicbrewing.com/

They also have an awesome Sunday Family Lunch deal.

$30 for a lb of meat, 6 sides, and 6 slices of bread.
Buzzy
Saxsoon said:

Meshack's off of Ave B
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I'm curious about that brisket stuffed onion. I've made stuffed onions with ground meat, but never brisket. I'm guessing it's chopped pretty fine.
SpiderDude
AG
Harry Lime said:

I'm curious about that brisket stuffed onion. I've made stuffed onions with ground meat, but never brisket. I'm guessing it's chopped pretty fine.

It appeared so...we didn't order one but I saw a table that did. It looked interesting. Appeared to be a cross slice (ring) of onion about 1-2" thick, stuffed with finely chopped brisket and topped with an herb aioli.
StinkyPinky
AG
979ag said:

That looks freaking amazing.

Signed - Envious in Minnesota
BurnetAggie99
Anyone had a chance to eat at Reese Bros BBQ in San Antonio? I know both brothers worked & cooked for Lee Ann Mueller at LA BBQ in Austin TX and also Brick Vault Brewery and Barbecue in Marathon,TX
Cowboy Curtis
AG
I saw Valentinas pit master running takeout at Jack Allen's Kitchen. Beef Cheek, have you heard of any shakeups over there?
Beef Cheek
AG
Eliana left several months ago, she was actually pretty close to joining our team. Worked a few shifts back in the fall.

Not sure what happened at Valentina's, but it's a grind. Not surprising when someone gets burned out and makes a change.
TMfrisco
AG
medwriter said:

SpiderDude said:

Never too early to get this started...

Edit: Updated with the link if you don't want to search through the thread looking for it...

https://www.texasmonthly.com/interactive/top-50-bbq-2021/
Nobody does better barbecue than Texas. I'm currently in OKC and they just don't know how to do it up here. Some of the best bbq that I have ever had was this bbq joint in Euless. It was only open two days a week. You paid $12 and got all of the beef bbq you wanted to eat and the sides you just picked out yourself, with all the ice tea you wanted to boot.
The old days of North Main BBQ!
AggieFabricator
I'd bet there are some folks either kind of craft or Texas style bbq up your way as well. Might slightly scratch the itch. Look up Scotty's Whole Hog Barbecue.
Matsui
AG
Beef Cheek - what is the name and location of your BBQ place?
agcrock2005
AG
Matsui said:

Beef Cheek - what is the name and location of your BBQ place?
He told us previously he's Clayton
Big Al 1992
AG
Tried Desert Oak in El Paso. Very very good brisket - great bark. Cheesy rice with hatch chilies is a great side. Add a Mexican Coke and almost a perfect lunch. Doesn't look like much on the outside - just big red BBQ sign in the strip center.
Saxsoon
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Tried Desert Oak in El Paso. Very very good brisket - great bark. Cheesy rice with hatch chilies is a great side. Add a Mexican Coke and almost a perfect lunch. Doesn't look like much on the outside - just big red BBQ sign in the strip center.
Want to go there the next time I visit my parents
Law361
AG
Went to Corkscrew in Spring last week. Showed up at 10:45am on a Wednesday and was #6 in line. Was most impressed with the regular sausage and potato salad. Brisket was moist and tender but I was looking for more smoke. $28/pound. Overall I give it about 8/10
MavsAg
AG
I think they have my favorite sauce of all the major BBQ joints I've been to.
TejasAg
AG
Aw man I love that potato salad. Been trying to recreate it at home for years, but can't seem to mimic it.
CDub06
AG
Love Corkscrew! They nail the Texas trinity. But you missed out on my favorite pulled pork of all time.
Law361
AG
The sauce was very good. Still have some in my fridge
jja79
AG
The potato salad is fantastic. I'd give the brisket a higher score.
CaptnCarl
AG
Fort Worth folk:

Anybody have an idea what the line at Panther City BBQ looks like on a Saturday?
Matsui
AG
I live here and eat there. I would be shocked if it is over an hour wait. And they move thru the line quickly. The weather will be cold tomorrow AM that should limit the crowds.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.