Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

455,972 Views | 3186 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by jja79
Beef Cheek
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Links are looking real nice today.

(Carrot souffl from Tejas is still my favorite side in BBQ)
NColoradoAG
Beef Cheek said:

Links are looking real nice today.

(Carrot souffl from Tejas is still my favorite side in BBQ)

Nice to meat you today!

I think Tejas is my favorite. That chile relleno sausage is my favorite bite in Texas
Jock 07
AG
Last central coast BBQ before the move to CO. Speaking of, any BBQ spots of note in CO? Is Wayne's still the best option?
NColoradoAG
Jock 07 said:

Last central coast BBQ before the move to CO. Speaking of, any BBQ spots of note in CO? Is Wayne's still the best option?

Post Oak in Berkeley is very good. Would be in the Top 50 /Honorable Mention level in Texas.
agfan2013
AG
Glad to have met and chatted with Mr Beef Cheek for a little bit as well, the shoulder clod and sausage were great.

Just like the TX monthly festival, tons of good food and I didn't have a bad bite anywhere. I finally got to try the peach cobbler sausage from Brothertons, in addition to the carne guisada and cowboy caviar links that he all brought, all were good, the cobbler lived up to the hype IMO. The Stiles Switch beef rib on tater tots with queso might have been my favorite sample, but there were many exceptional bites.
jh0400
AG
That looks like what they served in Tyler a couple of weeks ago. I agree on that sausage. It's phenomenal.
LMC2015
AG
Didn't have a bad bite all day, but I think my best bite list was:

Mimsy's Brisket with Green Curry and Pickled Red Onions
Feges Pri ckly Pear Rib Tip
Hutchins Texas Twinkie
Guess Chicharrones with Green Apple Slaw and Guac
Tejas Carrot Souffle

The beef rib with tots was exceptional but I was so full by that point I might not have been able to appreciate it properly.
Jock 07
AG
Thanks
500,000ags
AG
Asking the group, any pro / insider tips on Hot Luck fest?
Jock 07
AG
Not to interrupt the BBQ talk, but did anyone catch the Charlie Robison show? How's he sound? Would love to see him again and dream that I'm back in the early to mid 00s.
wadd96
AG
Sounded great, but look like s@#t Apparently there's only short-term return performance as we were told yesterday that he'll be done in September. So if you're a CRob fan, pick it a show to see him in the very near future...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
CaptnCarl
AG
Just stumbled upon the 'Someone Feed Phil' show on Netflix, which featured Leroy and Lewis.

Now it's on my list for next visit to Austin. How is the brick and mortar coming along?
agcrock2005
AG
CaptnCarl said:

Just stumbled upon the 'Someone Feed Phil' show on Netflix, which featured Leroy and Lewis.

Now it's on my list for next visit to Austin. How is the brick and mortar coming along?
That's awesome. I can't stand that guy, but I guess I'll have to force myself to watch that episode! Is it a recent episode?
jja79
AG
Random and not Texas but I'm a half time Spring, Tx resident and half time Arizona resident. I was told about a place in Gilbert, Az a few minutes from my place that I should try. Guy is an Az native but did a work assignment in Austin and went to Franklins. On the weekends he was there he went out to Caldwell County and tried various places so now he's trying to do legitimate BBQ here. He's not there yet but I'd give him a solid 7.2 or so which is better than I expected. He calls the place Caldwell County BBQ.
CenTexSmoke
Tell him as a Caldwell Co. resident, I appreciate what he's doing, BUT, Lockhart BBQ is inferior to what Luling City Market puts out.
Beef Cheek
AG
Was great meeting some of y'all at Troubadour last Saturday!

That was the most enjoyable festival I've been part of, hoping they make the CS location permanent.
Beef Cheek
AG
We're in the fun part of development right now, still expecting to be in there by the end of year. I'm sure there are plenty of headaches and challenges on the horizon.

Feel free to drive by and check it out if you're in the area.

5621 Emerald Forest Dr
Austin, TX 78745

The old food truck is just hanging out in the parking lot right now.
jja79
AG
I don't know where all he visited besides Franklins that turned him on to BBQ but he's doing a pretty good job. Nice to have a local place that's at least passable.
Saxsoon
AG
jja79 said:

I don't know where all he visited besides Franklins that turned him on to BBQ but he's doing a pretty good job. Nice to have a local place that's at least passable.

Thank god a Microsoft Aggie went to BBQ boot camp and started making great bbq in Seattle. Got me through the back 5 years of my stay up there - Jacks BBQ

He celebrated every anniversary smoking a gator, not sure why but always made a great time of it

Also yes, smoked wrapped in bacon
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
BurnetAggie99
Had some SA buddies tell me new place called OTX BBQ(Orlando's Texas BBQ) at 7030 Branching Ct is legit. Anyone had a chance to try it yet? I believe it's only been open under a month.

I got a work meeting in SA coming up couple weeks I may drop by and check it out.
Anastasia Beaverhaven
Saxsoon said:

jja79 said:

Thank god a Microsoft Aggie went to BBQ boot camp and started making great bbq in Seattle. Got me through the back 5 years of my stay up there - Jacks BBQ

He celebrated every anniversary smoking a gator, not sure why but always made a great time of it

Live in Seattle myself and this place is definitely more passable. I'd say fringe or right outside the top 50 in Texas. SODO location over the South Lake Union for sure though.
Saxsoon
AG
Anastasia Beaverhaven said:

Saxsoon said:

jja79 said:

Live in Seattle myself and this place is definitely more passable. I'd say fringe or right outside the top 50 in Texas. SODO location over the South Lake Union for sure though.
Definitely.

I moved away three years ago and would love to have a bit more of a recent tasting to compare to places like Cattleack.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
AgsWin2011
AG
Got to try out Dayne's Craft BBQ today. It was pretty solid but probably not in my top 5. The burger and sides were pretty damn good though.
NColoradoAG
AgsWin2011 said:

Got to try out Dayne's Craft BBQ today. It was pretty solid but probably not in my top 5. The burger and sides were pretty damn good though.

I'd trade a month's worth of sex for that tray of food. Good lawd
agcrock2005
AG
That would be a lot of food for nothing for me...damn second kid ****ed it all up!
DaveHimself
AG
Helberg in Waco yesterday. Brisket just okay, ribs and pork steak fantastic.
Smoked sour cream Brussels sprouts very good (and I hate sour cream), and banana pudding one of best I've had.

Bulldog73
AG
That doesn't look like their best brisket offering, which is unfortunate. Their pork steak has become a staple any time I go there. I'm not a turkey guy at all, but that's solid usually.
DaveHimself
AG
Yeah that was supposedly a moist cut. I'll definitely be back though and give the brisket another try.
tsuag10
AG
I had pretty much the same evaluation when I was there. Their pork steak is money.
500,000ags
AG
Figured you all would appreciate the whole cow they roasted at the last Hot Luck event yesterday. Really fun few days!

CenTexSmoke
Great time yesterday. Wide range of bites, some excellent ones for sure.
ConstructionAg01
AG
CenTexSmoke said:

Great time yesterday. Wide range of bites, some excellent ones for sure.

Man, we bbq'd for 35 and I thought that was a lot of work. Can't imagine the effort into that.
tsuag10
AG
Terry Black's in Austin today. Brisket was elite quality. Turkey and sides were just ok.

Also, I had to post this picture of the dude sitting across from me. He's probably in his mid-50s and jacked, and he was sitting in front of a tray of about four or five beef ribs and tearing into them with his bare hands. Ripping the meat off the bone and devouring it.

I'm still not sure if it was ridiculous or bad ass….

BohunkAg
AG
Why are you taking pictures of me?
La Fours
AG
Don't worry, you're slouching and covering your face. No one would have known it was you if hadn't said something.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.