Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

455,987 Views | 3186 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by jja79
ftworthag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry new to this thread. Nice line
agfan2013
AG
Happened to be in Waco today so I stopped by Guess Family bbq for the second time… It's not bad, but I got to say I don't see the top 50 ranking. I guess their brunch and unique sides maybe boost their ranking.

And if you wanna know why I never thought very highly of Micklethwait and have no desire to go back, let me refer y'all to the plate that I was served a couple years ago. I know places have off days, but no place in the top 50 should ever serve a brisket that looks like this.
Beef Cheek
AG
Micklethwait quality dropped off some while they were trying to open the Smithville location.

Now Tom is back and more focused on the trailer, Ren is cooking more. I'd say they're worth giving another shot. Also have their sister truck Taco Bronco going and expanding to the house on their lot with a new "beer store" soon.
Bulldog73
AG
Next time, check out Helburg. In my opinion, it's significantly better. Guess has some good things, don't get me wrong.
CDub06
AG
Interstellar today:

Got there at 11, eating by 12:40. So not too bad considering. Staff said that this was insane by their standards and had never seen anything like it.

Food review later.
schmendeler
AG
Are they still doing "free beans"?
CDub06
AG
No free beans.

Meats were all as good as expected. Kind of just standard central Texas style meats for the most part.

Brisket was excellent (it has to be if you're ranked), well rendered fat had the moist cuts juicy and delicious. Ribs were perfect texture, a little tug. Lightly seasoned. Understated flavor. Jalapeño popper sausage was a little over the top for me. Huge gobs of thick cheese hijacked the link. Good, but so so cheesy.

Peach tea glazed pork belly was a fun entry. It was like peach candy over a layer of soft melted fat sitting on a firm base of savory meat. Really good stuff.

Sides were all fantastic. Enjoyed the smoked scalloped potatoes, but the jalapeño slaw was my favorite. One of my favorite sides I've had at a bbq place. Good amount of tang and heat.

Brown sugar sweet tea was a great addition the the meal. It was like candied sweet tea. I dug it.

It's a fun menu and I enjoyed the novelties and sides. The meats were all good as I described, like really good. But I still think others beat them out on the standard meats. Well worth the trip and so glad I got to stop by today. But they're not my #2.
Saxsoon
AG
Gonna be braving goldees tomorrow
agcrock2005
AG
Saxsoon said:

Better than Saturday! I've never been there (just driven by) but it's going to be interesting seeing how they deal with parking with the area and how few spots they have.
Saxsoon
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Saxsoon said:

Better than Saturday! I've never been there (just driven by) but it's going to be interesting seeing how they deal with parking with the area and how few spots they have.

Thank you four day work weeks. Wouldn't be able to experience Cattleack as much as I do
CDub06
AG
Saxsoon said:

Please report back on the experience
Koldus131
AG
The TM BBQ effect!! Sold out before 10.
Beef Cheek
AG
Praying for my boys up there, can't even imagine.
NColoradoAG
Tejas was a breeze. Burnt ends will not make it back to CS. Whomever gets this rental car after me is gonna be hungry!
agfan2013
AG
Koldus131 said:

And we had the guy a few pages back asking if 10:45 would be ok.
Saxsoon
AG
People were lining up at 5am. I think a lot of stragglers made their way (myself included) over to Panther City. It was fine. The sides were great (Mac and Cheese/Beans). Brisket and Turkey were good, didn't care for the ribs but I am not a saucy guy.
Jsimonds58
AG
Went to Interstellar today, showed up at 10am and was 5th in line. By the time the doors opened that line was down the block, food was absolutely phenomenal. They definitely deserve their ranking. Going to try goldees next week
RED AG 98
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Praying for my boys up there, can't even imagine.
How have y'all been affected so far? Thinking of hitting it up tomorrow for the first time and trying to figure out that time I need to be there.
Beef Cheek
AG
Record setting days, we've been selling out around 2-3 and reopening with a limited dinner menu at 5:15. Last night we sold out of the dinner menu within 2 hours.

If you're coming on a Saturday or Saturday I think 10am should be alright, grab a drink at Cosmic and post up near the truck. Brisket, beef cheeks and whole hog are the first to go, barbacoa and burgers available for lunch and dinner. (We'll see how long we can keep up with this dinner shift)
BSD
AG
This reminds me, I need to check out y'all's Patreon. I've been on it forever but haven't looked in a while.
AggieFabricator
Congrats to y'all, I build pits for a living and eat at yalls place any time I'm picking up pieces in Austin. Love those burgers!
Beef Cheek
AG
Hey thanks!

What's your pit building operation?
AggieFabricator
I own Cen-Tex Smokers.
JCRiley09
Beef Cheek
AG
My guy! Look at us bbq fellas on TexAgs.

Gotta come get some City Market soon, that's my all-time #1
AggieFabricator
Hit me up any time, I actually messaged Cole thinking beef cheek might be him. Didn't know you were an Aggie too. Y'all going to Bretts Sunday?
Beef Cheek
AG
I wish! I'll be running Mama Fried while most of the team is holding it down at L&L.
jja79
AG
Went to Tejas today since it's close. Haven't been a big fan but today the brisket and chili relleno sausage were top notch. Ribs very average. Line was short which is good. Maybe 25 people at noon Friday.
Johnsy3
AG
Their chile relleno sausage is incredible. Did you try the carrot souffl?
jja79
AG
Had the sausage, ribs and brisket. No sides. Chatted with 2 other old men in the line and they both got sides and liked them. Wouldn't get the ribs again. Very ordinary. Brisket was the best I've ever had at Tejas.

If they were more efficient it would help. There weren't over 25 people in line at noon but it took 20 minutes because their cash register situation isn't good.
NColoradoAG
I pulled up to Tejas at 1130 am yesterday and didn't notice hardly any line. Picked up food and was back on the road in five minutes. Everything was packed up nicely and stayed plenty warm for the drive back to Wellborn.

We had brisket, burnt ends, ribs, pork belly, and chile relleno sausage. Sides ordered were carrot souffle, slaw, beans, cornbread casserole, and cauliflower au gratin.

Whoever said they order a bunch of extra sausages here was dead on. That chile relleno sausage is easily the best sausage I've ever had. Simply amazing. The brisket was very good. Quite peppery on the bark. The pork belly was also good but not something I'd add to an order often. The ribs had a nice rub that was on the sweet side. However they were cut horribly and still had the membrane on which I though was disappointed. The burnt ends were fine, but again were not cut properly and were with the grain.

The carrot souffle was damn good. I dont even really like food like that and crushed a whole portion. Light, sweet, but has an underlying depth of flavor from the carrots and brown sugar. Definitely a great side dish. All the other sides were average to disappointing. I did not like the beans at all. They had a very weird flavor that I could not put my finger on.

Overall it was an enjoyable experience and gave me the chance to try a new joint. It's not a place I'd do the two hour round trip for again though. I'd just go to 1775 instead. Hopefully I can try Brett's and Blue Moon in the near future.
Martin Cash
AG
agfan2013 said:

Koldus131 said:

No reason for a BBQ joint to even open before 10:30.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
Koldus131
AG
They weren't. They know how much food is available that day and went down the line to get estimates. It's what Franklin BBQ does and the Goldee's guys learned from the best.
BSD
AG
Martin Cash said:

First things first, that's dumb.

Second, they open at 11:00am but probably took orders before they opened to see why the demand was and figured out they wouldn't have enough food for everyone. Some guy named Frank of Franklin or something like that in Austin does that every day.
agfan2013
AG
Martin Cash said:

agfan2013 said:

Koldus131 said:

Almost every place in the top 50 besides snows doesn't start serving food before 11am, Goldees just declared they were "sold out" after asking people in line what they planned to order so people wouldn't continue to line up and wait only to get disappointed.

Another swing and a miss, you're 0-2 with takes on this thread. Want to go for the strikeout and give us a third?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.