Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

455,973 Views | 3186 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by jja79
BurnetAggie99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Buzzy said:

Quote:

Hell I remebmber my German grandfather making blood sausage when a steer was slaughtered.
What is the ratio of blood to filler in blood sausage?
It's around for every quart of beef blood you need about 3 pounds of meat filler which can be a ground mix of beef/pork. Usually use some ground up beef and pork shoulder. My grandpa would always put in also about 1/2 cup of Duck fat as well then add all the spices. Mix everything it up then use natural casing and start making the links.
Buzzy
BurnetAggie99 said:

Buzzy said:

Quote:

Hell I remebmber my German grandfather making blood sausage when a steer was slaughtered.
It's around for every quart of beef blood you need about 3 pounds of meat filler which can be a ground mix of beef/pork. Usually use some ground up beef and pork shoulder. My grandpa would always put in also about 1/2 cup of Duck fat as well then add all the spices. Mix everything it up then use natural casing and start making the links.
I was curious. I read a dystopian novel where everyone is starving in a building. Protagonist discovers one of the residents and her husband stole blood bags from the blood bank where she works and are consuming the blood as food. Protagonist salivates at the thought of making blood sausage. I figured you must need some other filler besides blood to make sausage. And if you're out of food in a building in the middle of NY, what filler do you have? It was a weird scene in the book (but they were starving, so....).
Wild West Pimp Style
BurnetAggie99
Buzzy said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

Buzzy said:

Quote:

I was curious. I read a dystopian novel where everyone is starving in a building. Protagonist discovers one of the residents and her husband stole blood bags from the blood bank where she works and are consuming the blood as food. Protagonist salivates at the thought of making blood sausage. I figured you must need some other filler besides blood to make sausage. And if you're out of food in a building in the middle of NY, what filler do you have? It was a weird scene in the book (but they were starving, so....).
I'd assume you can add rice as well which I know the Cajuns do making their version of blood sausage.
TejasAg
AG
Feges and Truth in Houston this week. First time at the Htown location for Truth. Just as good as original with a more comfortable dinning experience.

schmendeler
AG
Those Brussels at feges are so good
Beef Cheek
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Beef Cheek said:

L&L only sells brisket on Saturdays and Sundays. In the early days we only sold it on Saturdays.
Wow. Never would have thought that. What's the reasoning behind that? Margins too low on briskets because of pricing?

We couldn't source enough high quality brisket (Heartbrand Beef Akaushi) so beef cheeks became the sliced beef option during the week and we just cook all the brisket for the weekend. Now people are more upset when we're out of cheeks thank brisket
HTownAg98
BurnetAggie99 said:

Buzzy said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

Buzzy said:

Quote:

I'd assume you can add rice as well which I know the Cajuns do making their version of blood sausage.

My mom's family made blood sausage, and they used cornmeal as the filler. She was not a fan of scraping intestines to get them clean to use as casings.
Beef Cheek
AG
If anyone is in the Austin area tomorrow, Cole Parkman and I are throwing an Old School pop-up at LeRoy & Lewis. Funny enough, no brisket on the menu!

Start service at 11am, in a very non-old school fashion, we plan to have food all day.

Aggie09Derek
AG
Assume you mean 11am
Beef Cheek
AG
Yea! Already fixed!
schmendeler
AG
Is the beef, cheeks? Or clod? Or maybe chuck?
Buzzy

Okay, can you explain this to me?

Leroy and Lewis is a BBQ restaurant in Austin, right?

So you're doing a pop-up at the restaurant....to sell bbq...outside a barbecue restaurant? Do y'all normally run a truck and know the owners and they're letting you do this?
Wild West Pimp Style
fav13andac1)c
AG
He's Clayton, of Leroy & Lewis.
Buzzy
fav13andac1)c said:

He's Clayton, of Leroy & Lewis.
Just looked at their site. So Clayton owns the Mama Fried food truck and Cole is the assistant pitmaster at Leroy & Lewis.
Wild West Pimp Style
Beef Cheek
AG
schmendeler said:

Is the beef, cheeks? Or clod? Or maybe chuck?

Clod
AgBQ-00
AG
Appreciate the feedback. Been to Marty Bs is it a great hangout to enjoy music and drinks and friends. Looking forward to 407
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.
AggieFabricator
He works at Leroy & Lewis/Mama Fried.
500,000ags
AG
It was my first time to L&L today!

Got off to an annoying start because the lady in front of me went nuts ordering 3 bags of BBQ in the 100+ heat.

Holy smokes, the food was really good. The beef and crackers, and the pork steak were nothing short of fantastic.
Beef Cheek
AG
Hey thanks for coming!

Was it a pregnant lady with the big order? If so, that was Sawyer Lewis of LeRoy & Lewis. Really exercising her privilege haha
500,000ags
AG
Haha, damn makes sense now. One of the guys threw out something like, "It's like her name is on the truck." I thought he was joking.
Beef Cheek
AG
You'll have to come back sometime for the beef cheeks, whole hog and kimchi
500,000ags
AG
Will do. I usually go to Micklethwait when I want Barbacoa since I live nearby. It hasn't hit the same the last few times I ordered it though.
FredMc92
Anyone been to Eaker bbq in Fredericksburg?

I might be out that way next month and saw it made the recent top 50. Also, looks like a pretty good story.

Any specific recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
500,000ags
AG
I went two months ago. Kind of unique with the Asian parts of the menu. I ordered the gochujang ribs and the kimchi rice and was not disappointed.
TejasAg
AG
I've been a few times while back in town visiting my mom. Lance and Boo are super friendly and welcoming. It's easily the best joint in town now. All the Korean inspired dishes are my go to.
Gochujang ribs with sides of Korean cucumber salad and kimchi fried rice. Boozy banana pudding for dessert

Bulldog73
AG
I just spent some time in west Texas (not West, Texas), and we ate at Shed. It wasn't life changing, but it was solid and a good value for some good Q.
Jackal99
AG
I've been a fan of theirs since they were still in their food truck in Houston. Lance and Boo are awesome people. They lived in my neighborhood, kids went to same school, etc.

I've only been to their place in Fredericksburg once, but I thought it was great.

As mentioned, the kimchi fried rice is great (add brisket), the ribs are great, the cucumber salad is great. The pulled pork sandwich is great. I don't think you can go wrong there.
FredMc92
Thanks for all of the replies - definitely looking forward to it now.
AgBQ-00
AG
I know it is not in the top 50 but was in the honorable mention category. Went to 407 BBQ today for my birthday with the in-laws. 9 of us split the jumbo family platter with a couple extra sides and added rack of ribs. It was all delicious. Looking forward to leftovers for dinner.
TXAG 05
AG
Hit Tejas for the first time today. The chili relleno sausage was definitely the highlight. Ribs were pretty good, brisket was good, not great, turkey was average at best.

It's worth stopping in if you are in that part of the world, but don't think it's worth going out of your way for.
Beef Cheek
AG
But did you try the carrot souffl
Beef Cheek
AG
Souffl … this site keeps changing how spell souffl
NColoradoAG
TXAG 05 said:

Hit Tejas for the first time today. The chili relleno sausage was definitely the highlight. Ribs were pretty good, brisket was good, not great, turkey was average at best.

It's worth stopping in if you are in that part of the world, but don't think it's worth going out of your way for.

Disagree. The chile relleno sausage and the carrot souffle are definitely worth going out of the way for.
TXAG 05
AG
The sausage was good, but I'm not going to drive all the way to Tomball for it when I can be at Pinkertons or Truth in under 10 min and get their jalapeño cheese sausage that is just as good.

Didn't get the carrot souffl so can't speak for that.
MW13
AG
Does Burnt Bean usually sell out on Sundays? I'm going to be that direction today but probably can't get there till around 1.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.