Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

433,139 Views | 3127 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by ChipFTAC01
rolling_ridgeag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not current TM Top 50 but given the tie in to Goldees thought I'd ask on this thread. Anyone tried Barbs BQ in Lockhart? Was back in Lockhart this weekend and opted for Terry Blacks (which did not disappoint) but saw pretty good line at Barbs.
wadd96
AG
Brothertons in Pflugerville offers dinner...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Koldus131
AG
Seems like Valentina's is going to be in the news…

schmendeler
AG
Ah, wage theft. That old classic.
500,000ags
AG
It's kind of strange that anyone would think they deserve the same variable compensation as others that show up on time, don't get slapped on the wrist, don't skip workdays, don't quit, and don't get fired.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
If I were a prospective employee and I saw that section on the application…
500,000ags
AG
Could be missing something. Wouldn't forfeited tip money just go to the staff, or is that back in Valentina's pockets?
schmendeler
AG
You're not allowed to "forfeit" an employee's tips. Period.
AgsWin2011
AG
Here I was thinking someone was just being clever to keep the lines to a minimum.
NColoradoAG
schmendeler said:

You're not allowed to "forfeit" an employee's tips. Period.

The first two bullet points are hard to reconcile against the last three. The last three seem cut and dry to me. First two is definitely suspect IMO. I have no understanding of the laws and regs about tips though.
500,000ags
AG
I see. It's still a bit strange someone could skip dead time, show up for peak service, and expect full share of pooled tips.
DiskoTroop
Do we know their waiters are paid a tipped wage or are they paid normal wages and tips are pooled as bonus?
Peter Klaven
AG
I also would like to know this.

Regardless, my desire to go to Valentina's just went up a notch.
wadd96
AG
Why not? No Call / No Show... I'm available tomorrow
CDub06
AG
I'm curious how much they pay anyway. They don't do table service, so these tips are just going to the person at the counter. I imagine they're paying them a decent wage before factoring the tips in as "extra."
DiskoTroop
CDub06 said:

I'm curious how much they pay anyway. They don't do table service, so these tips are just going to the person at the counter. I imagine they're paying them a decent wage before factoring the tips in as "extra."
That was my thought too. Changes the issue a bit in my opinion. I'm not opposed to it. I think maybe I need to make a run out there too...
AggieLong
AG
AggieLong said:

Planning a Snow's trip.

What time should we plan to arrive?
Estimated wait time?
Must order items?
Thanks for the tips on Snow's. We went last Saturday and it was an awesome experience!

We arrived a little before 5am and were numbers 54-57 in line. (There was an Aussie there that's doing a BBQ tour of Texas that got there at 7pm on Friday.)

We were very fortunate and won the raffle and got to move to the front of the line. They opened the doors early and we were eating by 7:50am. We ate and visited with others for about an hour.

For reference on the wait time (without incredible luck), we saw the group beside us in line come out with their food as we left at 9am.

Y'all were right... the pork steak & chicken stole the show. The brisket & ribs were excellent. We weren't too impressed with the sausage.

big-ag
AG
Sausage is definitely the weakest area at Snow's. Every time I've been it's just had a weird texture.
Beef Cheek
AG
Was up in Chicago for Windy City Smoke Out last week. Did not get as many food pics as I wanted, but thought I would share a few.

(L&L Hawaiian sticky rib, Hoo Doo Brown crispy pork belly, Slab tri tip, Green Street al pastor rib, and the A5 Wagyu steak that Jeremy Yoder cooked for Leonard Botello's birthday)

Beef Cheek
AG
Was up in Chicago for Windy City Smoke Out last week. Did not get as many food pics as I wanted, but thought I would share a few.

(L&L Hawaiian sticky rib, Hoo Doo Brown crispy pork belly, Slab tri tip, Green Street al pastor rib, and the A5 Wagyu steak that Jeremy Yoder cooked for Leonard Botello's birthday)

RAM700BA
AG
Koldus131 said:

Agreed but do feel it's worth mentioning Stiles is still great and Aggie owned and operated. Also a friend of TexAgs and have come to CS to do tailgates with TexAgs before.

Yup. I go to Stiles more often than any other bbq place in Austin. They gave me a free koozie one time after they noticed my Aggie Ring. My Arkansas coworker was a bit jealous.
agcrock2005
AG
Something tells me there are going to be some cool videos by L&L, Chud and Mad Scientist soon. Food looks great. Sticky rib sounds really good!
wadd96
AG
Dang dude!!!
La Fours
AG
I hate these out of context, virtue signaling posts like that person did on Twitter. I hope she's getting ratio'd.

I have no problem with any of the rules for Valentina's, so long as it was clearly explained to each employee when hired or they established said policy.

Only thing I am not sure about is the part about it being against the law to spilt tips with non-customer interacting staff.

Beef Cheek
AG
Add Joe Yim and Grilling With Dad to that list. Soooo many cameras behind the pits this week, lot of good content to come.
The Milkman
AG
I'm going to be in the Austin area briefly for the first time in a while in a couple weeks. I land at AUS at 11:00 on a Friday. Who should I hit up that is also likely to not have a huge wait at that point?

Does Leroy and Lewis typically have long wait?
ChipFTAC01
AG
I'm currently in London with my family. Tonight we hooked up with a couple of my wife's cousins for dinner. Whenever we get together in London we almost invariably meat up for pizza because of kids. Today my wife's cousin googled "kid friendly restaurant London" and we ended up at a bbq/Cajun-y place that reminded me a lot of the restaurant in the final season of Ted Lasso.
BohunkAg
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

I'm currently in London with my family. Tonight we hooked up with a couple of my wife's cousins for dinner. Whenever we get together in London we almost invariably meat up for pizza because of kids. Today my wife's cousin googled "kid friendly restaurant London" and we ended up at a bbq/Cajun-y place that reminded me a lot of the restaurant in the final season of Ted Lasso.
Humble brag
La Fours
AG
The Nigerian restaurant or Greek restaurant?

ChipFTAC01
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

My wife's cousin ordered brisket. After a week of largely eating British pub fare that sounded real good and FULLY EXPECTING WHAT WAS TO BEFALL ME ordered the same.
ChipFTAC01
AG
La Fours said:

The Nigerian restaurant or Greek restaurant?

The American place in Amsterdam.
ChipFTAC01
AG
BohunkAg said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Humble brag

This ain't no humble brag.
schmendeler
AG
Did fire craft open a second location in London?
DiskoTroop
schmendeler said:

Did fire craft open a second location in London?

So unnecessary.

Ended up being able to try Killen's a while back. Not a bad job. Folks have said his quality slipped. I'd liked to have tried it in the hay day.

schmendeler
AG
I couldn't resist

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.