Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

455,988 Views | 3186 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by jja79
agfan2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Correct, I don't think anybody is saying a place can't have a good bbq sandwich and be worthy of recommending that to people if they go there.

Just that you don't go "well I think Franklin bbq is better than Snows because I had the chopped beef sandwich at both and Franklin's was better"
jh0400
AG
wadd96 said:

Evaluating an entire restaurant by a single meet sandwich makes no sense. The measure of a good BBQ place, or any restaurant for that matter, is being consistently good across multiple offerings.

On the flip side, it's perfectly ok to not make every trip to a barbecue restaurant a critical tasting.
tsuag10
AG
I'm driving from San Antonio to Amarillo today. I need a couple of good recommendations along my route.

TIA
big-ag
AG
Went to Tyler's Saturday morning. Went with brisket, jalapeño cheddar sausage, and beef rib. Meats were super tender and juicy but the brisket and rib had zero seasoning in the bark. Almost like they forgot to put salt and pepper on anything.
JCRiley09
AG
If you go to Hurtados and you aren't getting the birria tacos or the tostada, you've committed a crime against bbq.
It's not rocket science. You're already in line for a half hour or longer. Google the place and see what people recommend and see what they're known for.
agcrock2005
AG
I've heard the birria are great so definitely going to try that too when I find time to get out there. Have you been to their new location up north? Wonder if they have a long line as well.
Koldus131
AG
agcrock2005 said:

I've heard the birria are great so definitely going to try that too when I find time to get out there. Have you been to their new location up north? Wonder if they have a long line as well.
I have. Much less of a line. Like JC said, the best things at Hurtado are what you can't commonly get at other top end TX BBQ restaurants. Tostada, Birria Taco, cornbread and PB Burnt Ends are my favorites. Of the traditional options I think their brisket and pulled pork are best.
rjones2688
Koldus131 said:

agcrock2005 said:

I have. Much less of a line. Like JC said, the best things at Hurtado are what you can't commonly get at other top end TX BBQ restaurants. Tostada, Birria Taco, cornbread and PB Burnt Ends are my favorites. Of the traditional options I think their brisket and pulled pork are best.
couple flicks from my last time at hurtado. Solid everytime
Koldus131
AG
Ah yes forgot to add the twinkies to my recommended items as well
AustinCountyAg
For those who know about tejas in tomball, if we were to arrive around 6 on a Saturday night would they have a decent selection left? Or are they done by early afternoon regardless of what their hours are posted online?
Fairview20
AG
Anyone been to Stanley's in Tyler? Driving through town today and wanted to try it out.
Koldus131
AG
Went about 2 months ago for the first time. Ribs were by far the best thing. Brisket fine, sausage fine. Sides are the traditional 3. I'd say borderline should actually be in the top 50, but enjoyed it.
Fairview20
AG
Thanks! If I have time to stop I'll make sure to get the ribs.
tsuag10
AG
Burnt Bean in Seguin today.

Brisket is probably top 3 I've ever had.
JC Sausage is good with plenty of heat and flavor.
Street corn casserole and bacon ranch taters are both outstanding.
BurnetAggie99
I've been couple times and was good. It's Top 50 Texas Monthly. Can get crowed both times I went had long line
agcrock2005
AG
That brisket looks great, but that sausage looks incredible.
Objective Aggie
AG
In line at Goldees. Came once when everything was sold out. What's do folks recommend?
schmendeler
AG
I hear the bread is delicious
wadd96
AG
In order to properly judge a restaurant, you need to order the trinity and then report back on that adding sides along the way is also good.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
jh0400
AG
Or just say "**** it" and order a sliced brisket sandwich with a side, because it's fine to enjoy a meal without pretending to be Daniel Vaughn.
tsuag10
AG
I've seen you post something like this twice now.
Believe me, I understand what you're saying.

However, this is a thread about the TM Top 50 BBQ restaurants in Texas; therefore, some of the best BBQ joints in the entire country.

I think it's ok to be 'critical' and talk about what makes them great, or not so great.

I don't want to start an argument, but examining the menus of the TM BBQ Top 50 is kinda the purpose of this thread.
schmendeler
AG
jh0400 said:

Or just say "**** it" and order a sliced brisket sandwich with a side, because it's fine to enjoy a meal without pretending to be Daniel Vaughn.

Right but he did say "to properly judge a Restaurant". In which case i agree. You need a baseline for comparison.

That said, i don't do the big platter anymore at my favorite place either. I have it zeroed in.
jh0400
AG
This board is full of restaurant discussions, but this is the only thread that's consistently hung up on turning every meal into a critical tasting. Someone asked "what's good", and the first answer was "evaluate the restaurant based on a three meat plate." I must be getting old, because more and more I tend to see the value in enjoying things for what they are instead of getting hung up on how something could have been marginally better or why my meal at Place A was slightly less good than Place B and letting that define my experience.
tsuag10
AG
I certainly understand what you're saying.
I definitely have a go-to order at our local place, and I don't examine it closely every time I eat there.

But a lot of people on this thread might be visiting these "elite" BBQ places for the first time ever, and they might not be able to visit again for a year or more. In that case, they might want to experience, evaluate, and enjoy a wide range of items on the menu.

Again, I don't mean to argue and derail the thread. I just think a lot of folks here aren't 'regulars' at these places.
Objective Aggie
AG
Goldees.
Schmedler was right. Bread was good.

All three meats were very good.
Service was as good as always.
schmendeler
AG
Beautiful stuff!
agcrock2005
AG
jh0400 said:

This board is full of restaurant discussions, but this is the only thread that's consistently hung up on turning every meal into a critical tasting. Someone asked "what's good", and the first answer was "evaluate the restaurant based on a three meat plate." I must be getting old, because more and more I tend to see the value in enjoying things for what they are instead of getting hung up on how something could have been marginally better or why my meal at Place A was slightly less good than Place B and letting that define my experience.
This thread is about the top BBQ restaurants in the state, unlike other threads in this forum. How did they get ranked...not by a sandwich, but by a guy pretty much ordering a 3 meat plate everywhere he goes. So when people travel to these top destinations, for the most part, that's what folks are doing as well. Why are your panties in a wad about this thread after all of these years, or are you new to this thread? Before this one, there was one for the last TM rankings, and then another one for the first rankings. It's just what happens around here. Relax.
agcrock2005
AG
That looks incredible, but you should have gotten a sausage sandwich instead.
jh0400
AG
I said a sliced brisket sandwich although sometimes a good jalapeño cheese sausage sandwich hits the spot.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Drove by Brett's in Rockdale, what is the scoop on this place? Anyone been?
schmendeler
AG
Supposed to be good, from my recollection
wadd96
AG
I heled open that place four years ago. And all I can say now is, no freaking comment . In fact, none of the people that help them get it off the ground are getting any respect from him.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
AggieFabricator
Have not been to Bretts in a while, it's always been solid every time I've been.
schmendeler
AG
Drama!
Objective Aggie
AG
I was almost going to post how this is one of my favorite threads. Everyone is so friendly and there is healthy discussion. Mostly I guess.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.