Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

455,990 Views | 3186 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by jja79
Martin Cash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Nothing against Aaron Franklin but I'd say Louie & Bobby Mueller are the forefathers of Central Texas BBQ
I would disagree. Kreuz beats them by 50 years.
agcrock2005
AG
Beef Cheek said:

I have zero inside info on this particular project, but that makes a ton of sense with how they've been expanding.

They buy up real estate all over and I imagine the new Waco location is going to be a huge success, so why not keep growing
These guy's have some major capital behind them. They're getting into hotels, wineries and other restaurant concepts.

Black Family Hospitality
txag2008
AG
TM Top 50 place that I don't know that I've seen posted here. Rejino BBQ in Olton.

They have a cool place and are doing things right. Ribs were some of the best I've had. Brisket was good but a bit dried out, probably a bit on me for not specifying moist. If you're out in the area it's definitely worth a stop.

La Fours
AG
Back home I see. Good stuff. Hopefully I can make trip up that way soon.
DiskoTroop
Figured this was the most appropriate audience for this post:

Buc-ee's isn't known for having the most top tier bbq in Texas. Fair enough. I think we can all agree that for a truck stop and an easy on/off the free way, they're not terrible. I grab a bbq sandwich most times I stop there which is 4-5 times a year.

We stopped at the Luling location yesterday coming home from NYE in San Antonio. In addition to it being a MADHOUSE for what I have to assume is A: construction and B: New Years traffic, I asked the people at the sandwich counter if they had any sliced brisket with pickles and onions and got this reply, not once, but twice:

"I'm sorry sir, we found it slowed down our process to make sandwiches with pickles and onion, but we have have pickles available for purchase in the reach-in cooler behind you."

I turned to find this for ~$2:

The gal at check out confirmed the change as of ~October.

What other BBQ places have taken to charging for pickles and onions? Am I behind the curve here? I was disgusted. I got a crappy beef burrito that I won't buy again and left disappointed.

With all the craziness of getting in and out and now I have to pay extra to have my sandwich the way I like it when it seems everywhere else I don't, it appears the clean bathrooms and drink selection is about the only thing drawing me to Buc-ee's these days.

Am I off base?
JCRiley09
AG
The cult following for Buc-ee's is a little over the top, but it's great when not at max capacity.

But it's not a bbq place. Not sure what you expected.
justnobody79
its not a truck stop either
CDub06
AG
Bucees BBQ is not good, so it's a pass for me anyway. But when they're just trying to churn out as much bbq as possible, it makes sense to trim out anything that slows them down.

I'll stop to stretch my legs or use the bathroom, but I'm not going anywhere near the place near any holiday weekend.
Yordaddy
AG
Went to Truth in HTX this weekend, they provide one slice of bread per person. Additional slices were $0.25. Pickles were free though!
DiskoTroop
See that doesn't sound entirely out of order. Once slice of bread per order isn't out of order. BUT PICKLES?? I mean damn…
mustang1234
JCRiley09 said:

The cult following for Buc-ee's is a little over the top, but it's great when not at max capacity.

But it's not a bbq place. Not sure what you expected.
unless i need to use the RR, i usually pass on buc-cees. They are high priced and its not worth the hassle..
dang sure not stopping for bbq.
jja79
AG
Pretty good mass made sandwiches other than BBQ though.
mustang1234
jja79 said:

Pretty good mass made sandwiches other than BBQ though.
true
JCA1
AG
DiskoTroop said:

Buc-ee's isn't known for having the most top tier bbq in Texas. Fair enough. I think we can all agree that for a truck stop and an easy on/off the free way, they're not terrible. I grab a bbq sandwich most times I stop there which is 4-5 times a year.

We stopped at the Luling location yesterday coming home from NYE in San Antonio. In addition to it being a MADHOUSE for what I have to assume is A: construction and B: New Years traffic, I asked the people at the sandwich counter if they had any sliced brisket with pickles and onions and got this reply, not once, but twice:

"I'm sorry sir, we found it slowed down our process to make sandwiches with pickles and onion, but we have have pickles available for purchase in the reach-in cooler behind you."

What other BBQ places have taken to charging for pickles and onions? Am I behind the curve here? I was disgusted. I got a crappy beef burrito that I won't buy again and left disappointed.

With all the craziness of getting in and out and now I have to pay extra to have my sandwich the way I like it when it seems everywhere else I don't, it appears the clean bathrooms and drink selection is about the only thing drawing me to Buc-ee's these days.

Am I off base?
This doesn't sound like they decided to start charging for pickles and onions. It sounds like the pickles and onions slowed them down so they nixed them. Since they are not a BBQ restaurant, they didn't see the point in adding a self-serve condiment stand that would be yet another thing to supervise, maintain, etc. for the customers who might still want them. This is like complaining about having to buy a bag of chips and a jar of salsa at a gas station when you buy a burrito because mexican restaurants give you those free with your meal.
DiskoTroop
Funny you say that. The burrito I got had little plastic containers of both red and green salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese and jalapeños. Some of which was additional cost, but some wasn't.

CowtownAg06
AG
My guess is there are just as many, if not more people who want no pickles or onions. They want to make it as grab and go as possible without customization. I still get your frustration.

If we're on a road trip and need gas, bathroom, and food, I don't mind a BBQ sandwich from there at all.
DiskoTroop
CowtownAg06 said:

My guess is there are just as many, if not more people who want no pickles or onions. They want to make it as grab and go as possible without customization. I still get your frustration.

If we're on a road trip and need gas, bathroom, and food, I don't mind a BBQ sandwich from there at all.
Yeah, and as mentioned, I'm fully aware their BBQ isn't anything particularly special, but it's better than McD's. I also get the need to streamline. That's fine too, but NO solution for pickles and onions besides a prepackaged, third party product that's entirely too large a package for the intended purpose is silly when they're doing hand packaging of 5-6 toppings and condiments for the burrito station.
Martin Cash
AG
DiskoTroop said:

Am I off base?
Buc-ee's? Truck stop? BLASPHEMY!
jja79
AG
First time back in Texas in almost a year. Today is the first day Corkscrew has been open after closing for the holidays. Zero line at 11:45 and on point as usual.

JCA1
AG
DiskoTroop said:

CowtownAg06 said:

Yeah, and as mentioned, I'm fully aware their BBQ isn't anything particularly special, but it's better than McD's. I also get the need to streamline. That's fine too, but NO solution for pickles and onions besides a prepackaged, third party product that's entirely too large a package for the intended purpose is silly when they're doing hand packaging of 5-6 toppings and condiments for the burrito station.
It's just a package of pickles for snacking. They directed you to them because you asked for pickles and that's what they have. But this isn't their intended purpose anymore than anything else that someone might want to add to a sandwich is sold there.

I suspect Buccee's knows very well what their customers value and apparently, on the whole, condiments for a burrito are worth providing and onions and pickles for a BBQ sandwich aren't. So they provide the former and not the latter. I get that this is disappointing to you, but it seems pretty clear that this has nothing to do with wanting to charge you for pickles. It seems as though not enough people wanted pickles and onions to justify the time and hassle of having to ask every customer before assembling their sandwich. So they dropped them and streamlined the process.
Matsui
AG
It is this.
DiskoTroop
JCA1 said:

DiskoTroop said:

CowtownAg06 said:

It's just a package of pickles for snacking. They directed you to them because you asked for pickles and that's what they have. But this isn't their intended purpose anymore than anything else that someone might want to add to a sandwich is sold there.

I suspect Buccee's knows very well what their customers value and apparently, on the whole, condiments for a burrito are worth providing and onions and pickles for a BBQ sandwich aren't. So they provide the former and not the latter. I get that this is disappointing to you, but it seems pretty clear that this has nothing to do with wanting to charge you for pickles. It seems as though not enough people wanted pickles and onions to justify the time and hassle of having to ask every customer before assembling their sandwich. So they dropped them and streamlined the process.
But that's not how it was handled. They had pre assembled sandwiches with and without pickles and onions. I guess maybe somewhere down the line they were throwing out too many sandwiches with pickles and onions to warrant it.

Still, it seems a VERY small task to add pickles and onions to the pre-portioned condiment bar if they're still doing it for other condiments. Their Facebook page is getting some traffic on the issue. The Chronicle posted an article about the cost of their XXL Brisket sandwich too and people were blowing them up over the pickles and onions there too.
JohnnyShotgun
jja79 said:

First time back in Texas in almost a year. Today is the first day Corkscrew has been open after closing for the holidays. Zero line at 11:45 and on point as usual.

Was the brisket good? In that picture it looks under done and chewy. What is a two meat plate going for nowadays? Thanks
jja79
AG
The brisket was fabulous as it always is. Falls apart. I've never ordered a plate so I don't know what one costs.
The Anchor
AG
Why in the world are we bumping this thread with talk of Buc'ees food? I thought simething of value was going on.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
John Brotherton's in the ICU…

https://www.gofundme.com/f/john-and-brenda-brotherton-need-your-help
FTAG 2000
AG
Cowboy Curtis said:

John Brotherton's in the ICU…

https://www.gofundme.com/f/john-and-brenda-brotherton-need-your-help

Anyone know what happened?
justnobody79
it said medical event on that gofundme page
AustinAgChef
Out of respect for my good friend JB and his family, I will not say what happened but I do ask that everyone keep him and his family in your prayers. He needs them big time.

Absolutely the biggest pillar of the bbq community and one of the most genuine, selfless and supportive men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

And if you feel led to donate, I know his family will appreciate it whether it's $1.00 or $100 dollars.
tsuag10
AG
Waayyyy to many middle aged people have been getting suddenly ill. Terrifying really.
AustinCountyAg
jja79 said:

now that is a damn good looking bbq plate. Brisket looks dang good. what side is below the potato salad?
jja79
AG
Cherry cobbler. The only one I don't like is apple but their cobblers are terrific.

I'm just in town for a while so I went back to Corkscrew again today. I honestly believe this is the best brisket I've ever had.
FTAG 2000
AG
AustinAgChef said:

Out of respect for my good friend JB and his family, I will not say what happened but I do ask that everyone keep him and his family in your prayers. He needs them big time.

Absolutely the biggest pillar of the bbq community and one of the most genuine, selfless and supportive men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

And if you feel led to donate, I know his family will appreciate it whether it's $1.00 or $100 dollars.

Donated. This news hit hard. Enjoyed sitting around the fire shooting bull with him at camp brisket and camp BBQ.
FTAG 2000
AG
Sounds like he's hanging in. Wish I knew what's up. Have some family in medical. We need to help John all we can.
tsuag10
AG
Good and busy at Brotherton's today

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.