Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

433,075 Views | 3127 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by ChipFTAC01
Ag_EE_88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JCRiley09 said:

Brotherton's is a place where I'm going for one of their sandwiches and maybe a small portion of another protein on the side. These days a plate of bbq is getting hard to distinguish from one joint to the next, but Brotherton elevates his food in the flavors you get from the sandwiches.
I've never gotten one of his sandwiches. When I go check out BBQ places, I go for the meats. I have been to Brotherton's multiple times and was disappointed each time. Ribs and sausage were just yuck. Brisket was meh. If I go back, will definitely try ordering something more unique to the restaurant. I would never have guessed this place would make the TM list. Just wasn't that good.
AgBQ-00
AG
looking at going to 407 BBQ for my birthday. Anything I should know about wait time or food items that are can't miss? Would probably be a party of 9 of us going any info is great.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
JCRiley09
AG
Ag_EE_88 said:

JCRiley09 said:

Brotherton's is a place where I'm going for one of their sandwiches and maybe a small portion of another protein on the side. These days a plate of bbq is getting hard to distinguish from one joint to the next, but Brotherton elevates his food in the flavors you get from the sandwiches.
I've never gotten one of his sandwiches. When I go check out BBQ places, I go for the meats. I have been to Brotherton's multiple times and was disappointed each time. Ribs and sausage were just yuck. Brisket was meh. If I go back, will definitely try ordering something more unique to the restaurant. I would never have guessed this place would make the TM list. Just wasn't that good.

I think it's been established that it's going to take more than good meats to make the list. When I go to a new place, I'm doing research to see what TM, bloggers, and other bbq people recommend. And I also ask the person taking orders what they recommend for someone visiting for the first time. Not exactly apples to apples here, but people don't go to Lockhart for brisket, but without fail, people post here about how bad the brisket is (that they just paid for already knowing it would probably be bad).

It's not always on menu, but the brisket banh mi at Brotherton's is one of the best bbq eats I've ever had. These aren't chopped beef sandwiches thrown together with scraps, they are well thought out menu items.

tldr: spend your money how you like, but maybe google what a place is known for ahead of time.
DatTallArchitect
AG
JCRiley09 said:

I think it's been established that it's going to take more than good meats to make the list.
While that is true, you should be able to expect good meat from anyone that makes their list. That goes double for their brisket since it's Texas
agcrock2005
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

looking at going to 407 BBQ for my birthday. Anything I should know about wait time or food items that are can't miss? Would probably be a party of 9 of us going any info is great.
I live in Northlake and have been here a dozen times or so. When they were west of 35 in a little crappy building, the food was incredible. My buddy and I were doing bbq competitions at the time and we heard about them because they were doings competitions as well. We have no restaurants around here so they took advantage of the times and built a big restaurant east of 35 that's very nice and it's packed all the time. Food quality suffered greatly. Ribs are hit or miss, along with the brisket. For 9 of you, if you don't drink alcohol, plan on spending at least $250. I believe their 2-meat plate is nearly $30 now at lunch. They do have some pretty tasty sides. Brussel sprouts are great. Mexican boudin good too.

EDIT: Not a traditional BBQ joint but Marty B's is a very cool place with cool atmosphere and music.
Jock 07
AG
JCRiley09 said:

Not exactly apples to apples here, but people don't go to Lockhart for brisket, but without fail, people post here about how bad the brisket is (that they just paid for already knowing it would probably be bad).

What are you going to order at a BBQ restaurant in TX if not for brisket?
Johnsy3
AG
I feel like you have to get brisket at a TX barbecue place. That's the bread and butter.
schmendeler
AG
When I went to Louis Mueller, they gave me a little taste of the brisket when I got up there to order and I decided not to order any off of that sample, so that was a helpful favor.
Jock 07
AG
I suppose I should carve out an exception for beef ribs
jh0400
AG
Louis Mueller was probably the most disappointing of all of the top tier places for me. I guess I'm not that big of a fan of black pepper.
JCRiley09
AG
Sausage, beef cheeks, pork ribs, whole hog, pork steak, beef ribs, smoked pork chop, turkey, chicken
JCRiley09
AG
The point is that brisket is not everyone's bread and butter. Franklin put out a good brisket and now it's the gold standard. There were 100 years of Texas bbq before that where brisket was available, but not always the star
Beef Cheek
AG
Jock 07 said:

JCRiley09 said:

Not exactly apples to apples here, but people don't go to Lockhart for brisket, but without fail, people post here about how bad the brisket is (that they just paid for already knowing it would probably be bad).

We only sell brisket two days a week and do alright.
Jock 07
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Jock 07 said:

JCRiley09 said:

Haha, touche
Jock 07
AG
On another note I was in town today and tried to stop by truth on my way taking my son to a Stros game. Tried to sneak in at 1130 and was too late to even try and find a spot to park. For the next attempt, how early do I need to try and show up?
htxag09
AG
Jock 07 said:

On another note I was in town today and tried to stop by truth on my way taking my son to a Stros game. Tried to sneak in at 1130 and was too late to even try and find a spot to park. For the next attempt, how early do I need to try and show up?
Kind of surprised it was that bad on a Thursday. I usually go on Wednesdays as I work from home that day and am right around the corner. I get there around 11:15 and it's usually no longer a wait then if I were going to a restaurant, sitting down, and ordering.

When someone wants to go on a Friday we try to get there just before 11 and still usually have to wait 30-45 minutes.
MAROON
AG
did you just try to park in their lot? There is usually street parking on Waugh that is available. Not sure I've ever actually parked in Truth's lot before.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
bularry
Beef Cheek said:

Jock 07 said:

JCRiley09 said:

that's pretty interesting... didn't know
Beef Cheek
AG
and it used to be only ONE day a week!
agcrock2005
AG
Beef Cheek said:

and it used to be only ONE day a week!
You're talking about Mama Fried right? L&L everyday?
Bigballin
AG
JCRiley09 said:

The point is that brisket is not everyone's bread and butter. Franklin put out a good brisket and now it's the gold standard. There were 100 years of Texas bbq before that where brisket was available, but not always the star
This^^^

And it was well over a hundred years of Texas BBQ before it became a craze for city slickers
schmendeler
AG
Bigballin said:

JCRiley09 said:

This^^^

And it was well over a hundred years of Texas BBQ before it became a craze for city slickers

Barbecue has been popular all over the state for much longer than this "craze". Let's not gatekeep something wonderful like barbecue.
Beef Cheek
AG
L&L only sells brisket on Saturdays and Sundays. In the early days we only sold it on Saturdays.
Bigballin
AG
schmendeler said:

Bigballin said:

JCRiley09 said:

This^^^

Barbecue has been popular all over the state for much longer than this "craze". Let's not gatekeep something wonderful like barbecue.

Folks weren't waiting in ridiculous lines for BBQ 20 years ago...
Beef Cheek
AG
This is worth a read given the current conversation:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/the-worlds-best-barbecue-is-in-taylor-texas-or-is-it-lockhart/
Chipotlemonger
AG
Bigballin said:

schmendeler said:

Bigballin said:

JCRiley09 said:

This^^^

Folks weren't waiting in ridiculous lines for BBQ 20 years ago...
schmendeler never said otherwise, in fact he said about the same thing you did.
NColoradoAG
What are some unique side dishes yall see at your favorite places. Cooking a brisket Sunday and tired of all the usual sides.
Ol Jock 99
AG
smoked brie is pretty awesome.
Buzzy
Bigballin said:

JCRiley09 said:

This^^^

I'd argue that 'craze' has ruined barbecue in the sense that you now have to wait hours and hours for even mediocre 'cue (looking at you Pecan Lodge/La Barbecue), and the prices are absolutely ridiculous. You used to be able to get decent 'cue cheap, now everyone thinks they're freaking James Beard and you need to spend $60-$70 a plate. And that was before the recent Biden inflation.

If a visit to a 'cue restaurant costs you over $100 for two people, you're doing it wrong.
Wild West Pimp Style
AggieFabricator
Judging by the customers lining the sidewalks outside those places, we can agree to disagree.
Chipotlemonger
AG
NColoradoAG said:

What are some unique side dishes yall see at your favorite places. Cooking a brisket Sunday and tired of all the usual sides.

Okra and tomatoes if you haven't done them in a while. Pan seared, not boiled.
Koldus131
AG
Buzzy said:

Bigballin said:

JCRiley09 said:

This^^^

I'd argue that 'craze' has ruined barbecue in the sense that you now have to wait hours and hours for even mediocre 'cue (looking at you Pecan Lodge/La Barbecue), and the prices are absolutely ridiculous. You used to be able to get decent 'cue cheap, now everyone thinks they're freaking James Beard and you need to spend $60-$70 a plate. And that was before the recent Biden inflation.

If a visit to a 'cue restaurant costs you over $100 for two people, you're doing it wrong.
This is not the thread for you.

Also just for starters, there are plenty of places you can get great to even borderline elite barbecue with little to no wait. I do it all the time.
BurnetAggie99
I grew up in Central Texas German family that cooked BBQ. Brisket, Hot Gut Sausage, and beef ribs were the staple. We raised our own cattle and till this day still do and my kids are big in showing cattle. Hell I remebmber my German grandfather making blood sausage when a steer was slaughtered. Nothing was wasted. When I go eat BBQ when not cooking myself that's usually what I get. That said I do like some Pork, Turkey and Chicken as well but Beef is what I tend to judge a place on.
Buzzy
Quote:

Hell I remebmber my German grandfather making blood sausage when a steer was slaughtered.
What is the ratio of blood to filler in blood sausage?
Wild West Pimp Style
agcrock2005
AG
Beef Cheek said:

L&L only sells brisket on Saturdays and Sundays. In the early days we only sold it on Saturdays.
Wow. Never would have thought that. What's the reasoning behind that? Margins too low on briskets because of pricing?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.