Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

497,826 Views | 3303 Replies | Last: 20 hrs ago by Jock 07
Hincemm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmendeler said:

Hincemm said:

Goldee's is right next to my office, so I'd like to hit them on Friday. Anyone have an idea how early to get there? Will 1045 suffice?
Lol
you're not helping. i figured i'd have some grace with it being a friday...so?
schmendeler
AG
Hincemm said:

schmendeler said:

Hincemm said:

Goldee's is right next to my office, so I'd like to hit them on Friday. Anyone have an idea how early to get there? Will 1045 suffice?
Lol
you're not helping. i figured i'd have some grace with it being a friday...so?
Check out the line when you get to work on Friday (there's a good chance there will be one already). That will tell you.
lazuras_dc
AG
Clayton, Glad you guys offer Barbacoa on the menu- user name checks out.
Matsui
AG
agree with the top 10

outstanding list and I'm pissed at myself for not going to Goldee's before this broke. I live in FW and have been wanting to go try it.
500,000ags
AG
I went to Interstellar yesterday based on this thread. Their brisket cuts were oddly thin. They gave a good amount of meat, just felt like eating shaved brisket. Flavors of the tacos were good. Have to give them another shot since they came in at #2.
jh0400
AG
Pit Room not making the list is ridiculous.
agcrock2005
AG
Matsui said:

I'm pissed at myself for not going to Goldee's before this broke. I live in FW and have been wanting to go try it.
Same. Actually bought a puppy out in that area about 9 months ago and drove past it and told my wife that it looked like a **** hole. I'm a dumbass.
'03ag
Koldus131 said:

The brisket at Heim is just not up to par for me when considering its competition in the area. I think it's dropped since they expanded pretty heavily. They are killing it though which is great for them.

yep, too much new competition. In my opinion they're brisket tends to have good texture but not enough smoke or flavor.

The thing that makes them so great is they were the first place I ever saw make top 50 worthy BBQ, but ALSO offer a good restaurant experience. Great sides, great cocktails, beer and whiskey selection. They also have a phenomenal burger

That's why they're killing it with 3 locations now. I can't take the fam somewhere that just has meat, beans and potato salad.
lazuras_dc
AG
'03ag said:

I can't take the fam somewhere that just has meat, beans and potato salad.
What.... why not? Guess I'm lucky- fam loves the bbq experience and will eat just a slab a brisket if need be.
Tanya 93
Koldus131 said:

It was a great great morning. Showed up at Goldee's at 10 and got to visit with all of the owners. (Minus Dylan) for about 30 minutes, plus Esaul and Dustin from 2M were there and got to visit with them as well.

I've been to Goldee's 3x before but all when it was To-Go only, never when you could go inside to the cutting block. This was up there with Burnt Bean as the best BBQ meal I've had in 2021. Still not sure I'd put it as my personal number 1, but you won't find me arguing when the list comes out tomorrow. Great guys.

Is that cheese grits on the upper right?
'03ag
I won't eat potato salad either.

Beans are hit or miss, but even if they have good ones, it's not a satisfying side for me. And while some are good, the beans at most of these places are trash.

But I have 2 kids under 5 and side that isn't a French fry gets a ton of side eye. I'm just glad they'll eat the BBQ.
Koldus131
AG
Hincemm said:

Try 8 am lol
Koldus131
AG
Yes!
Koldus131
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Matsui said:

I'm pissed at myself for not going to Goldee's before this broke. I live in FW and have been wanting to go try it.
Same. Actually bought a puppy out in that area about 9 months ago and drove past it and told my wife that it looked like a **** hole. I'm a dumbass.

Hahaha that's hilarious actually
CDub06
AG
Honorable Mentions are up: https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/our-50-bbq-honorable-mentions/
Tanya 93
Koldus131 said:

Yes!
Are they good?

I may be coming to Texas for a week or so in the spring
Dalhousietrio
Had the pleasure of attending a class yesterday in Lockhart put on by Mill Scale. Had a great time! That's Jonny White

Ol Jock 99
AG
I didn't notice Pecan Lodge didn't make Top 50. They must have ticked off Daniel!
BSD
AG
Nice! I almost went but just have too much going on this fall and needed to be at home for at least one weekend this quarter. But I've been kicking myself ever since I passed it up.
Dalhousietrio
Beef ribs were amazing!
BSD
AG
Now you're just being mean.
Wicked Good Ag
From surrounding area within about one hour or less

Fargo's
Blue Moon
make honorable mention

Top 50

LJs
Blood Bros

in top 10

Truth (although Houston location)
Snows
Hincemm
AG
Koldus131 said:

Hincemm said:

Try 8 am lol

I figured. And now realizing my stupidity in the first place. I'll drive by on the commute. Anyone want me to bring them something?
Quinn
AG
It made the Honorable Mentions list, though it was Top 10 two lists ago, right?
lazuras_dc
AG
Y'all think the line at Snow's will be less than previous years bc of the drop in rank?
Boat Shoes
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Y'all think the line at Snow's will be less than previous years bc of the drop in rank?

Not after Netflix got a hold of them.
schmendeler
AG
My guess would be yes, though I suspect just about everyone gets a tick up in business the next couple weeks.
agcrock2005
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

I didn't notice Pecan Lodge didn't make Top 50. They must have ticked off Daniel!
They sold out after the 2013 rankings (I believe) when they were ranked #2 behind Franklin's. They opened their "new" building and it was like herding cattle. Quality went to **** but their bank account skyrocketed I'm sure. They just monetized the ranking, which is understandable. I feel like that's what Heim has done as well.
Koldus131
AG
If you like grits yes
Koldus131
AG
Boat Shoes said:

lazuras_dc said:

Not after Netflix got a hold of them.

I've heard you have to get to Snow's at like 2 or 3 AM if you want food thanks to the Netflix thing. Crazy.
Beef Cheek
AG
Bunch of A&M connections on this list.

Truth, Teddy's, L&L, Snow's, Brett's.

I'm sure there are more I'm missing, feel like John Brotherton probably roots for the Ags.
HTownAg98
Does anyone have the entire list? I tried looking at the Texas Monthly site, and already used up my two free articles.
TejasAg
AG
Jimmy Ho put out a handy spread sheet.
thesmokingho spreadsheet
AggieDad24
Roegel's is legit...Blood Brothers is miles ahead of Pit Room. Arby's brisket sammich is ahead of Pit Room as far as I'm concerned.
Pitter Patter
schmendeler
AG
Pit room was not great in my opinion. Never got the love they received.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.