Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

497,827 Views | 3303 Replies | Last: 20 hrs ago by Jock 07
DiskoTroop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
schmendeler said:

I couldn't resist
I know. It was a good one... I'll give you that.
979ag
AG
Valentina's is getting absolutely dragged in their instagram comments.

They posted an "apology," and ex-employees are commenting that they are terrible owners and employers.
agcrock2005
AG
That sucks. Scrolled through for a couple minutes and you can tell that none of those people worked there. Amazing how the mob can gang up so easily to try to destroy small businesses. I know nothing about the verbiage they use in their tip document or how good the people are at Valentinas, but 5 minutes on their instagram and you can tell they are actively being cancelled. Sad.
DiskoTroop
979ag said:

They posted an "apology," and ex-employees are commenting that they are terrible owners and employers.
Looks like they pay minimum wage +, tips are pooled to share with back of the house.

This is a non-issue. Next subject.
Bulldog73
AG
I actually appreciate that "back of the house" has a way to be brought in.
DatTallArchitect
AG
500,000ags said:

I see. It's still a bit strange someone could skip dead time, show up for peak service, and expect full share of pooled tips.
I can't stand pooled tips. The tip I leave the person that waits on me is weighted according to their effort. That should not go to anyone else. They earned it. Not the other wait staff. Just another reason to tip in cash to that person.
DatTallArchitect
AG
DiskoTroop said:

979ag said:

Looks like they pay minimum wage +, tips are pooled to share with back of the house.

This is a non-issue. Next subject.
Paying them minimum wage with hopes they'll get some decent tips from people that don't see them is a terrible policy. Would love to get Beef Cheeks take on this.
RAM700BA
AG
The Milkman said:

I'm going to be in the Austin area briefly for the first time in a while in a couple weeks. I land at AUS at 11:00 on a Friday. Who should I hit up that is also likely to not have a huge wait at that point?

Does Leroy and Lewis typically have long wait?

L&L isn't typically too long of a wait. It's outside so it will be hotter than hell, but it's worth it. Get the beef cheek and braised cabbage.

If you want other options Terry Blacks is great and so is Stiles Switch.

If I was in your shoes I would try and go to Terry Blacks for dinner if you don't have to worry about parking. It's great and consistent all day long. Brisket and ribs are a must and so is the peach cobbler. L&L would be my lunch choice. Stiles would be my 3rd option. Mostly because it's a little further north than the others. However it's run by Aggies so it's nice to support them as much as possible.
CDub06
AG
Speaking of Leroy & Lewis. I was there at opening today.

And it was stinkin fantastic. Had to get the beef cheeks as per usual. The special was sliced beef rib, so I added that to the two meat plate. Kim Chi & Kale salad on the side. The sides are special, but this meat is just so good.

It's a perfect example of where the "new school" of Texas barbecue is.

As for timing, I arrived about 10:45 and was behind 2 groups. One was 6 people from California. The other was two locals. The Californians were doing a bbq crawl and it literally took 15 minutes for them to order and get their food because they basically got everything on the menu. (I hope they charged them more for 1/4 pounds). The next two dudes knew what they were doing and got two meat plates, so I was eating by 11:20.
BohunkAg
AG
CDub06 said:

Speaking of Leroy & Lewis. I was there at opening today.

And it was stinkin fantastic. Had to get the beef cheeks as per usual. The special was sliced beef rib, so I added that to the two meat plate. Kim Chi & Kale salad on the side. The sides are special, but this meat is just so good.

It's a perfect example of where the "new school" of Texas barbecue is.

As for timing, I arrived about 10:45 and was behind 2 groups. One was 6 people from California. The other was two locals. The Californians were doing a bbq crawl and it literally took 15 minutes for them to order and get their food because they basically got everything on the menu. (I hope they charged them more for 1/4 pounds). The next two dudes knew what they were doing and got two meat plates, so I was eating by 11:20.
I understand this is good for their business, but this annoys me to no end at some of these places when people ahead of me do this. We have already established that I am not a very patient person though.
CDub06
AG
The guys behind me were beside themselves because after the group had been waiting an hour and the place finally opened, the group started debating what to get. It's 11:05 and they turn and ask "has anyone had the beef cheeks before?" You've got to have your order chambered.
BohunkAg
AG
CDub06 said:

The guys behind me were beside themselves because after the group had been waiting an hour and the place finally opened, the group started debating what to get. It's 11:05 and they turn and ask "has anyone had the beef cheeks before?" You've got to have your order chambered.
I do agree with that. I was at Helberg the other day and a group of four (obviously local) guys were in front of me standing around B.S ing and got up to the front and said "so what's good?" Then ended up getting a sandwich.
NColoradoAG
CDub06 said:

****in Californians
jah003
S
Think I posted this already, but we were 2nd in line at Interstellar one visit. Guy in front of us was from Pittsburgh. Ordering was fine… but we ordered behind him, got our food, ate our food and he was still taking pictures.
Bulldog73
AG
The secret at Helburg is get the two meat sandwich. Pork steak & moist brisket. Take 90% of the meat off for the wife who wants a sandwich, and have nearly a pound of meat to eat still. {FIFY protected}
BohunkAg
AG
Bulldog73 said:

The secret at Helburg is get the two meat sandwich. Pork steak & moist brisket. Take 90% of the meat off for the wife who wants a sandwich, and have nearly a pound of meat to eat still. {FIFY protected}

That's a good idea. I think the guy got a brisket and pesto turkey sandwich which I thought was insane too.
agcrock2005
AG
Bulldog73 said:

That's a genius idea for folks that don't eat a **** load of food.
Bulldog73
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Bulldog73 said:

Oh I'll do that too, I'm just cheap.
BohunkAg
AG
Bulldog73 said:

agcrock2005 said:

Bulldog73 said:

Oh I'll do that too, I'm just cheap.

You sure you ain't a Bohemian?
tsuag10
AG
My co-workers from Alabama were in town this week and I took them by Burnt Bean yesterday. We didn't get there until 1:15. They were out of ribs and almost out of brisket. We got the last 2 slices of the point. We also ended up with the turkey and a couple of pork steaks.

Everything was amazing, and that pork steak was a hell of a good consolation prize to getting no ribs.

Excellent as always.

AgsWin2011
AG
Looks amazing. Really hope I get to try Burnt Bean some day.

Currently one of my bucket list BBQ places.
NColoradoAG
BohunkAg
AG
I love all of you. Just saying.
BurnetAggie99
Had some BBQ catered to our work office today in Austin from JNL BBQ. Got to say JNL making some legit BBQ. Had brisket, Al Pastor Smoked Ribs, Cajun Butter Smoked Turkey, Sausage with sides potato salad, beans, & coleslaw.

Owner of JNL worked at Franklin's for over 5 years before opening up his own shop.
CDub06
AG
Had a quiet lunch at Distant Relatives in Austin. It's actually on-site at meanwhile brewing, which is a fantastic space.

The meats were really good. The rib stood out with its smoke and black pepper bite. The burnt end black eyed peas were actually incredible and instantly became one of my favorite sides. Really cool style and detail oriented. Even the bread was elevated.

Not the best in Austin, but they're up there for sure. Definitely somewhere I'd take people simply because it's unique and the location can't be beat.

Edit: I arrived on Friday at 11am and there was no line. It took a bit to get my food though.
CDub06
AG
When's the TexAgs BBQ Thread meatup at Firecraft?
wadd96
AG
Never?

But if y'all want to meat up at Frankin the last Saturday in Austin, We'll be there...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
jja79
AG
Caldwell County BBQ Gilbert, Arizona. Not Texas but good enough for a refugee.
CenTexSmoke
Bar A today in Montgomery. Really enjoyed it, proteins were great. He cooks an upper grade choice and it's great brisket. Sausage was great and loves his sauce. Sides were good as well but my wife handled that part. Biased slightly because he's a customer, but I bet you see Coop make some list down the road.

wadd96
AG
On the list to attend...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
CenTexSmoke
Next one on my list is Reese Bros, I hear amazing things about it as well.
BurnetAggie99
Reese Bros is legit my go to when in SA and don't have to fight long wait times.
DiskoTroop
CenTexSmoke said:

Bar A today in Montgomery. Really enjoyed it, proteins were great. He cooks an upper grade choice and it's great brisket. Sausage was great and loves his sauce. Sides were good as well but my wife handled that part. Biased slightly because he's a customer, but I bet you see Coop make some list down the road.

He does a fine job. I've met him a couple of times and had his food at two "festivals" now. I really want to get out to his place though. I'm sure it's even better on site.
rjones2688

Reese Bros Last week. 2nd time there. Went once last year. They are still firing on all cylinders.

IG- rickysjones
NColoradoAG
rjones2688 said:

Reese Bros Last week. 2nd time there. Went once last year. They are still firing on all cylinders.

IG- rickysjones

Those shells look good. Pesto, green chile, what's going on there?
____________________________________________________________________________________
Right around that corner, there is a sandwich shop. They sell meatball sandwiches. Best I've ever tasted. Would you go get me two? Come on partner. Two. Thank you.

UTAH, GET ME TWO!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.