Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

455,993 Views | 3186 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by jja79
TejasAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Objective Aggie
AG
Goldees review
Wait: just under two hours
Brisket: solid. Nicely rendered fat. Lacked a bit of smokiness I was expecting but that's a modest gripe.
Sausage: had a nice snap. Solid flavor. Better than I was expecting.
Ribs: lots of smoky meat goodness. Not exactly candied ribs but they had a nice coating that added to flavor.
Sides: nothing special IMO except banana pudding which is not to be missed. And the bread. Damn the bread is good.

Is this the best in state? I mean I personally prefer Cattle Ack. But it has such a young guys doing their trade and loving it vibe that I am pulling for them. Worthy stop for sure.
agcrock2005
AG
Objective Aggie said:

Goldees review
Brisket: solid. Nicely rendered fat. Lacked a bit of smokiness I was expecting but that's a modest gripe.
Ribs: lots of smoky meat goodness. Not exactly candied ribs but they had a nice coating that added to flavor.
Sides: nothing special IMO except banana pudding which is not to be missed. And the bread. Damn the bread is good.

Is this the best in state? I mean I personally prefer Cattle Ack. But it has such a young guys doing their trade and loving it vibe that I am pulling for them. Worthy stop for sure.
That's surprising because they go unwrapped the entire cook and then at the very end they set the brisket on top of tallow and wrap in foil. I haven't had chance of going there yet but I thought it would be super smoky. Cool video below on their method versus a couple others, including Beef Cheek's buddy Chud.

Objective Aggie
AG
Might have just been my perception. It's pretty amazing overall.

Also WTF do I know. Listen to me at your own risk.
Objective Aggie
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Pretty awesome video on Goldees. I don't know them at all. When I hung out with the Panther City guys not too long ago I asked them about those guys and they were very positive. Would love to hear BeefCheek's opinion. This is like a Chef's Table knockoff on them, but produced pretty well for a guy with 13K followers on IG.

Everyone should watch this. So young. So good. They are so focused on the product and the method. It's inspiring honestly.
Saxsoon
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Pretty awesome video on Goldees. I don't know them at all. When I hung out with the Panther City guys not too long ago I asked them about those guys and they were very positive. Would love to hear BeefCheek's opinion. This is like a Chef's Table knockoff on them, but produced pretty well for a guy with 13K followers on IG.

Alvin Zhou got tied up with Andrew Rhea of Babish Fame, doing a lot of cooking videos based on anime food stuff. Dude is talented.
rjones2688
Objective Aggie said:

Goldees review

I share these same thoughts about goldees

The cheesy grits there is incredible though. One of the best sides in BBQ. Meats are all really good !

I personally prefer cattleack as well. I try and hit there once a month and its always phenomenal.

I went yesterday
Saxsoon
AG
rjones2688 said:

Objective Aggie said:

Goldees review

The cheesy grits there is incredible though. One of the best sides in BBQ. Meats are all really good !

I personally prefer cattleack as well. I try and hit there once a month and its always phenomenal.

I went yesterday
The Bologna is great, and the Hatch Mac and Cheese is the best I have had ANYWHERE
Koldus131
AG
You and I were both there then! Love Cattleack.
rjones2688
Koldus131 said:

You and I were both there then! Love Cattleack.
You have good taste lol
rjones2688
Saxsoon said:

rjones2688 said:

Objective Aggie said:

Goldees review

I went yesterday
The Bologna is great, and the Hatch Mac and Cheese is the best I have had ANYWHERE

I agree man! All their sides are impressive to me. Hatch Mac, Brisket Beans, collard greens. I took a friend there and he wanted to try the apple slaw. I was like what? you sure? EVEN that was great haha
Koldus131
AG
My apartment is a little over a mile away and I work from home Thursdays and Fridays so it's a nice easy stop, especially when Pork Steak is the special
AggieFabricator
I message Andrew every time they post those pork steaks on their social media. It looks incredible.
Saxsoon
AG
Koldus131 said:

My apartment is a little over a mile away and I work from home Thursdays and Fridays so it's a nice easy stop, especially when Pork Steak is the special
I thankfully don't work Fridays or I could rarely go
Koldus131
AG
Lewis Barbecue - Charleston. Really great stuff from John Lewis and the mini SC empire he's building. Ribs were the most disappointing of this plate, but everything else was top notch. I'd say it's top 20 in Texas good but not top 10 level. Went to Rodney Scott's last night and it was absolutely phenomenal.
AggieFabricator
Charleston is next on my list of places to visit for a bbq crawl. Looks great.
Sorrell Booke
No pics of Rodney Scotts?
Beef Cheek
AG
Sorrell Booke said:

Was wondering the same thing
CDub06
AG
I just found out about this event a few days ago:
https://fegesbbq.com/events/bbq-and-houston-craft-beer-festival/

It's way out in the forest between New Waverly & Coldspring. I guess this venue got popular from The Bachelor or something similar?

Whatever it is, it's my 3 favorite Houston BBQ spots collaborating on one event.

Quote:

Feges BBQ:
We're cooking with our friends from Blood Brothers and Tejas Chocolate + Barbecue at The Historic Hill House + Farm's first annual Houston Craft BBQ + Beer Festival. Join us for a very special afternoon spotlighting some of Houston's top pitmasters and craft breweries. The intimate outdoor experience will include barbecue, beer from local craft breweries, and great live music.
Shame that I'm not able to make it to events like this anymore, but it sounds really interesting. Tickets are a bit steep at $125.
wadd96
AG
Damn... I've got a catering that day.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Koldus131
AG
Beef Cheek said:

Sorrell Booke said:

Ask and you shall receive. Didn't post them because the lighting wasn't great as it was getting dark. Ribs and whole hog phenomenal. The Rodney Sauce was insanely good with all three meats I got. Chicken was good but nothing special. Both sides and the cornbread (not pictured) were really great.

Can definitely tell the difference in being cooked over direct heat vs indirect.

TXAG 05
AG
Koldus131 said:

Beef Cheek said:

Sorrell Booke said:

Ask and you shall receive. Didn't post them because the lighting wasn't great as it was getting dark. Ribs and whole hog phenomenal. The Rodney Sauce was insanely good with all three meats I got. Chicken was good but nothing special. Both sides and the cornbread (not pictured) were really great.

Can definitely tell the difference in being cooked over direct heat vs indirect.

Went a couple years ago and had the opposite experience. Ribs and whole were pretty average and the chicken was the best part. Guess it was an off day, but wasn't too impressed with it.
agfan2013
AG
Headed to the TX Monthly Top 50 BBQ Festival this weekend in Lockhart for part of a birthday gift. Also making plans to go to Goldees with some friends on Friday the 11th. So lots of awesome bbq will be consumed within the next week.
AggieFabricator
We will see you down there!
Lola68
If you get a chance, try Butter's BBQ, especially the brisket. I don't get to try all the places up north in Ft. Worth or Dallas, but I love Butter's brisket. It is definitely the best I have ever had. I would like to have it compared to those more famous places, and get a little love for this South Texas pitmaster.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Lola68 said:

If you get a chance, try Butter's BBQ, especially the brisket. I don't get to try all the places up north in Ft. Worth or Dallas, but I love Butter's brisket. It is definitely the best I have ever had. I would like to have it compared to those more famous places, and get a little love for this South Texas pitmaster.
Butters is right down the road from me and I love it! Haven't had a chance to try the new location yet but I imagine Smolik's was not sad to see them move towns.
Lola68
Best brisket I've ever eaten, and the barbacoa is awesome too. Also love their elote side dish.
jja79
AG

Went to Corkscrew yesterday at 1PM and the line was down. Still had everything and it was great as always. The last two times I've gone during the week I waited until 1 and it worked out great.
AggieFabricator
Andrew is a great dude. He's my favorite brisket as well.
chap
AG
Beef Cheek said:

DV also had lunch at L&L with Phil Rosenthal.

Finally saw this episode!

RC_57
AG
Ok y'all.

Driving up to Nacogdoches from Cypress this coming Sunday (11/6). Planning on taking 59/69 to the city.

Any recommended BBQ stops along the way?

Thanks all
rjones2688
TXAG 05 said:

Koldus131 said:

Beef Cheek said:

Sorrell Booke said:

Went a couple years ago and had the opposite experience. Ribs and whole were pretty average and the chicken was the best part. Guess it was an off day, but wasn't too impressed with it.
To truly experience the scotts bbq you have to go to the OG in hemingway South Carolina. Rodneys is like the fast food version of it. Its quantity over quality there.
wadd96
AG
Mimsey's in Crockett
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
agfan2013
AG
The TX Monthly festival in Lockhart was a great experience, we hit about half of the 40+ joints there. Probably don't need to eat until thanksgiving now.

Tons of good food, but my favorite bites were: 1) candied bacon banana nut bread sausage from Brothertons BBQ, 2) peach tea pork belly burnt ends and scalloped potatoes from Interstellar BBQ, and 3) the sloppy Juan taco from Zavalas BBQ. Honorable mention was the Burnt Bean had a great chicken leg coated in some sauce and other stuff piled on top of it.

Brotherton's excellent sausage on the left

Interstellar sample

Goldees with an entire slice of brisket for their sample

One tip I learned that might help someone else in the future: You can bring in aluminum trays and ziplock bags to this event. You'll get so much food you eventually start throwing stuff away after just a few bites so you can sample something else, but you can bring stuff in to save the food and take it home. Saw lots of people loading up food in trays or ziplocks to have a ton of leftovers when they left. I hate throwing away good food so I wish I knew that beforehand.
Beef Cheek
AG
Everyone was talking about that Burnt Bean chicken, I wish I had tried some

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.