Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

441,802 Views | 3168 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Project Gemini
Beef Cheek
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DV also had lunch at L&L with Phil Rosenthal.

Jock 07
AG
Saw that there's a write up by the comical on camp brisket but it's behind a paywall. Not giving that rag a single cent, even if it is for an article on BBQ
JCRiley09
AG
Hero
MAROON
AG
great to see he is filming a new season. Love his shows

How was he in person?
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Beef Cheek
AG
I really didn't get to interact with him, but everyone that did had great things to say!
Beef Cheek
AG
Had a nice lil lunch in Austin today

WestTexAG
AG
Glad they are back open for in person dining.
FredMc92
Anybody been to Snow's lately?

What kind of line should we expect if we get there at 7? How about 8?

Thanks in advance.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
FredMc92 said:

Anybody been to Snow's lately?

What kind of line should we expect if we get there at 7? How about 8?

Thanks in advance.

7am you'll be in behind 50+ people. 8am...you'll be wishing you called ahead and ordered pickup instead.
lazuras_dc
AG
Do you get the colleague hook up or do you have to wait in line with everyone else ?
Beef Cheek
AG
Still wait in line for Franklin, but they did show us some love.

The line hack is to show up on a Tuesday or Wednesday around noon. The line was only about 10 people out the door, they warned us that only sausage and brisket would be left, but had the full menu available once we got to the front.

They were sold out of everything by about ~1:30
WestTexAG
AG
Had Brett's bbq shop in Katy, and it was exceptional. Unfortunately the trendiness of bbq has made this habit quite expensive, but I know for a fact we wouldn't have the creative options available today without the money it costs to make it.
Simple fatty brisket, turkey, and the slaw was a hell of a meal.
Saxsoon
AG
I always feel embarrassed asking for the lean brisket but I find I cannot do the fatty
big-ag
AG
Saxsoon said:

I always feel embarrassed asking for the lean brisket but I find I cannot do the fatty

My sons and I do an annual BBQation where we go to 3 different places in the TM top 50. Kid #1 is the same way. We do 1/4 of lean for him. The flat has feelings too.
IronRed13
AG
Only honorable mention on this years list but Roegels is moving into Katy with their 2nd shop. Being close by they've been my go to since the 2017 list

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/01-25-22-roegels-barbecue-bbq-new-location-katy/#slide=0
JCA1
AG
Saxsoon said:

What's wrong with asking for lean?

And it also has less margin for error. IMO, turning out consistently excellent lean is the mark of a true pitmaster.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Agree
Beef Cheek
AG
2022 is the year of the lean, y'all!
Jock 07
AG
Beef Cheek said:

2022 is the year of the lean, y'all!

Beef Cheek
JCA1
AG
Brisket and purple drank. That's how you get the weekend started.
medwriter
SpiderDude said:

Never too early to get this started...

Edit: Updated with the link if you don't want to search through the thread looking for it...

https://www.texasmonthly.com/interactive/top-50-bbq-2021/
Nobody does better barbecue than Texas. I'm currently in OKC and they just don't know how to do it up here. Some of the best bbq that I have ever had was this bbq joint in Euless. It was only open two days a week. You paid $12 and got all of the beef bbq you wanted to eat and the sides you just picked out yourself, with all the ice tea you wanted to boot.
medwriter
Beef Cheek said:

Had a nice lil lunch in Austin today

That third pic was smuggled out of Heaven itself. They are strict on what they let out up there.

ETA: smuggled, not snuggled. Give a guy a break would ya?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Had La Barbecue for the 1st time the other day, brisket was slamming.

Their coleslaw was good and unique, but could definitely see some people not caring for it.
G-Town Cracker
AG
Glad to hear that they're still putting out quality stuff. I haven't been there since way back before John Lewis left.
medwriter
Now I have challenged myself. I absolutely must go out and find the closest thing to Texas BBQ in OKC.

Notice I said "closest." I don't believe there is any BBQ that could possibly surpass that of the Lone Star State. In both pork and beef, maybe North Carolina or Memphis gets close but give me a Texas BBQ anytime.

If there are any Texas transplants North of the Red River, please chime in and tell me what restaurant comes close.

I will seek it out!
schmendeler
AG
Tweet reply to @bbqsnob and ask him about barbecue in OKC. He's usually pretty good at replying.
BurnetAggie99
medwriter said:

Now I have challenged myself. I absolutely must go out and find the closest thing to Texas BBQ in OKC.

Notice I said "closest." I don't believe there is any BBQ that could possibly surpass that of the Lone Star State. In both pork and beef, maybe North Carolina or Memphis gets close but give me a Texas BBQ anytime.

If there are any Texas transplants North of the Red River, please chime in and tell me what restaurant comes close.

I will seek it out!

Edge Craft BBQ is a Central TX Style BBQ place in Oklahoma City. Ate there before and it's pretty good. I had the moist brisket, Sausage and a Ribs. If your around Tulsa OK then you want to eat at Oakhart BBQ.

https://www.edgecraftbbq.com/

https://www.oakhartbbq.com/
AMF 2 AMC
AG
medwriter said:

I will seek it out!
try Maples BBQ in town and Butcher BBQ Stand in Welborn.

edit: Maples is closed now and Butcher BBQ Stand is in Wellston, south of Chandler.
Martin Cash
AG
Saxsoon said:

Before BBQ became trendy, lean was all that was served. A good place would trim the fat off before serving it. I don't know where the fatty trend started, but I'm with you. Lean.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
Jock 07
AG
Martin Cash said:

Saxsoon said:

Before BBQ became trendy, lean was all that was served. A good place would trim the fat off before serving it. I don't know where the fatty trend started, but I'm with you. Lean.

Probably because they couldn't get it to render properly.
schmendeler
AG
I agree. I might be off, but I also think people have had to readjust to tolerate fattier/marbled beef. I think the trend had been for very lean meat as the preference with white meat chicken and pork being the "other white meat" people associated marbling with "bad for you".
Mathguy64
AG
schmendeler said:

I agree. I might be off, but I also think people have had to readjust to tolerate fattier/marbled beef. I think the trend had been for very lean meat as the preference with white meat chicken and pork being the "other white meat" people associated marbling with "bad for you".

I've told this story on here before but I'll repeat it here.

Back in the early 80's I worked a pit for a joint in Houston called Gabby's BBQ and when it opened Luther's in CS. They were the Rudy's of their day. Back then you sloughed off all the upper layer of fat, separated the point and flat, sliced the flat to serve and the point almost 100% got turned into chopped for sammys. All the fat and bark ended up in the fat bucket next to the station. No one wanted any fat or fatty brisket on their plate. Only way they got it was to ask for it.
Ol Jock 99
AG
It may not be Top 50, but Lockhart Plano's brisket was on point today.
mslags97
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

It may not be Top 50, but Lockhart Plano's brisket was on point today.

Looks good and with a precious daddy-daughter date! Love those with my daughter!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.