Astros offseason thread

350,843 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
CSWendt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I get it, it's not perfect logic on my part valuing RBI's. There's multiple guys out there that produce RBI's and are black holes.

Really, my ultimate point is that I don't think they should be disregarded as a pointless stat. I'll admit, I'm still more traditional in how I evaluate players (sometimes to my own fault). I take the Bill Parcells approach: "You are what your record says you are"
Thriller
AG
No problem with that. I'd just suggest updating "record" to mean better descriptive stats.
byfLuger41
AG
TO THE DROP ZONE!!!
tjack16
AG
On the topic of Bryant... I honestly think that pick could have meant that 2017 was our 2nd WS title.

- In 2015 Bryant won NL Rookie of the Year, assuming he makes the same trajectory under the Astros and gets called up in May 2015, we would have a HUGE upgrade at the 3B position that season. The starting third basemen was Luis Valbuena. That 2015 team was 6 outs away from beating the eventual WS champs in the ALDS. With another All Star type player instead of Valbuena, we win that series.

- We make the playoffs in 2016 with Kris Bryant (The NL MVP winner) and who knows what happens once you're in.

- We win the World Series with him in 2017.

Obviously I'm very happy with Bregman, but let's not pretend that having an young, MVP caliber player that plays multiple positions would be a bad thing. The Cubs would not have won the World Series without Bryant, and he has been a piece they can build their franchise around for years to come.
gougler08
AG
tjholley17 said:

On the topic of Bryant... I honestly think that pick could have meant that 2017 was our 2nd WS title.

- In 2015 Bryant won NL Rookie of the Year, assuming he makes the same trajectory under the Astros and gets called up in May 2015, we would have a HUGE upgrade at the 3B position that season. The starting third basemen was Luis Valbuena. That 2015 team was 6 outs away from beating the eventual WS champs in the ALDS. With another All Star type player instead of Valbuena, we win that series.

- We make the playoffs in 2016 with Kris Bryant (The NL MVP winner) and who knows what happens once you're in.

Obviously I'm very happy with Bregman, but let's not pretend that having an young, MVP caliber player that plays multiple positions would be a bad thing. The Cubs would not have won the World Series without Bryant, and he has been a piece they can build their franchise around for years to come.
Since Bryant isn't a relief pitcher, I'm not sure that's the case
tjack16
AG
gougler08 said:

tjholley17 said:

Since Bryant isn't a relief pitcher, I'm not sure that's the case
you could make the argument that with his offensive output that we could be up by 4-5 by that time in the game so better relief pitching isn't needed. Or he hits a homerun in game 2 and we sweep them. Or he strikes out 20 times in the series... who knows lol. Point is, he was a huge upgrade at that position and a rookie of the year player so he couldn't have hurt the teams chances.
bullard21k
AG
I got a sneak peak at our WS rings last night. Not too gaudy like a lot of super bowl rings and very well done. Still can't believe we actually did it.

It's always watching somebody else hoist the trophy, have the parade, get the ring, have the ring ceremony etc. this time it's us.
NotGibbs
W said:

and regarding Kris Bryant...he needs a back bounce year in 2018

a paltry 73 RBI last season despite playing in 151 games and logging 665 plate appearances.

20 of his 29 homers were solo shots

Marwin wants to know why you're hating on solo shots
JJxvi
AG
CSWendt said:

rosco511 said:

RBIs are the worst stat in baseball. He has an OPS+ of 143 last year as compared to 146 the year before, his MVP year. He is still really good and does not need a bounce back.

I disagree. Would I rather have a guy who drives in 100 every year with a low OPS, or a guy with a high OPS but drives in 70. I take the RBI's. Cause at the end of the day, who gives a dump what your stats are if you can't get guys home/or get home.

I understand taking RBI's from one year can be misleading to how a guy performed. But when looking at multiple years I value RBI's.
Poot

"Marwin wants to know why you're hating on solo shots"

Jeff Bagwell is on line 2
PhatMack19
AG
My World Series Ring came in today

BTKAG97
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Is Altuve's ring half the size of everyone else's?
byfLuger41
AG
TO THE DROP ZONE!!!
bullard21k
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Is that a replica one they are making for the public?

I saw version "B" grade 2 but none of the other ones. I'd assume that one in the pic is possibly what version "d" grade 4 will look like.
mwm
I'd like to see a side-by-side with a ranger's ring. Wait, never mind.
Mathguy64
AG
Rangers are in discussions with Bartolo Colon. Ho. Lee. *****
Imagine the front office conversation.
"Ok boys. We really need another SP.

Darsh? Nah. Tips pitches.
Arrieta? Nope. Expensive and not a good year last season.

What about Bartolo Colon? Sold!"

A 45 year old fat man with an ERA of 6.5, WAR of -2.2 who got cut by Atlanta last year and he eats his weight in cheeseburgers every day. What could go wrong?
Farmer1906
AG
I do not see any competition from the Rangers for a very long time. We're light years ahead of them, bt the Angels and even the Mariners should top them by several games this year. They'll battle the As for worst record in the west.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I hope that's a souvenir replica and not anything what they actually look like.

Not digging that at all. The MMP is random and I'm not a fan of putting LA anywhere on that ring.

Cool for a replica to put with some memorabilia but no thanks as far as what the actual ring looks like.
agdaddy04
AG
Giles wins arbitration. Not surprising since it looks at regular season only.
tjack16
AG
I'm headed to Chicago for my first ever business trip this week (I graduated In May) ... should I wear my Verlander world champions jersey to my Wrigley field tour?
Farmer1906
AG
tjholley17 said:

I'm headed to Chicago for my first ever business trip this week (I graduated In May) ... should I wear my Verlander world champions jersey to my Wrigley field tour?
Absolutely, you should.
PhatMack19
AG
I ordered off of a link that popped up on my FB. Those are not the rings the team will get.

The Ring was $4.95 with $10 shipping. I paid $10 extra for the box. $25 isn't bad for an office decoration, and it's actually not bad looking.

https://britecrew.com/collections/frontpage/products/houston-astros-2017-championship-ring
PhatMack19
AG
astros4545
AG
The Houston #Astros sign George Springer to 2-year, $24 million contract that pays $12 million a year

Not sure what this really accomplishes

Does this provide some protection for George if he had some bad injury this year? Assuming he would make this amount the next 2 years through arbitration
mwm
Thank you, City of Houston, for not being Philadelphia.
Farmer1906
AG
I was wondering the same thing.
Ag_07
AG
It buys out his 2nd and 3rd years of arb eligibility.

I guess they think it's worth the extra money up front to avoid arbitration with him for those 2 years.
bearkatag15
AG
Mathguy64
AG
It's financial stability for both parties. George doesn't have to mess with arbitration (which is stupid as the club basically has to say their player is crappy and worth less money) and the club has a better grip on its payroll for 2 more years. This is a smart move by both parties.
Wizard
astros4545
AG
What did springer and club file arbitration at for this upcoming season?
Farmer1906
AG
astros4545 said:

What did springer and club file arbitration at for this upcoming season?
Quote:

Springer, 28, was seeking $10.5 million for the 2018 season in arbitration while the Astros wanted to pay him $8.5 million.
I guess the Astros figured they'd lose and then pay 15+ next year.

Forum Troll
AG
ESPN article
Quote:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22331130/george-springer-houston-astros-agree-two-year-deal-avoid-arbitration

Quote:

The Houston Astros and outfielder George Springer have agreed to a two-year, $24 million contract to avoid arbitration, a source told ESPN, confirming multiple reports.
The news was first reported by USA Today Sports.
Springer, 28, was seeking $10.5 million for the 2018 season in arbitration while the Astros wanted to pay him $8.5 million.
Springer, a first-time All-Star in 2017, set career bests last season with 34 home runs, 85 RBIs and a .283 batting average.
He was named the World Series MVP after hitting .379 with 5 home runs and 7 RBIs in the Astros' seven-game victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Deluxe
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Funny how the guy willing to bet on himself (Springer) turned out to be a winner and the guy who cashed out his potential early (Singleton) turned out to be a loser.

Obviously there's plenty of examples of guys betting on themselves not panning out and guys cashing out their potential panning out (Altuve might fall into this bucket), just pointing Springer/Singleton out because their decisions were pretty notable at the time and their careers took drastically different turns after their decisions.
CFTXAG10
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.