Astros offseason thread

350,796 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gougler08 said:

I'm not sure if mhayden has mentioned that we tanked for 4 years for this World Series and how we would rather have tried every season and never won one
Not a day goes by that I don't think about those long 4 years...it's a dagger in my heart that will never truly go away. I try to suppress the emotions but it's pointless...I find myself drinking past the point of responsibility hoping to numb the pain away but I still wake up in a cold sweat. Why oh why did my Astros subject me to such a long stretch of futility, I'll never be able to forgive them.

And for what...a World Series win over the 3 largest spending and prestigious teams in the history of baseball and a large window to rack up even more over the next decade? Pffffftttttt, count me out.
astros4545
AG
The Astros were kind enough to make their worst teams unavailable to their audience on TV during their worst years
Farmer1906
AG
friscodick said:

gougler08 said:

I'm not sure if mhayden has mentioned that we tanked for 4 years for this World Series and how we would rather have tried every season and never won one
Not a day goes by that I don't think about those long 4 years...it's a dagger in my heart that will never truly go away. I try to suppress the emotions but it's pointless...I find myself drinking past the point of responsibility hoping to numb the pain away but I still wake up in a cold sweat. Why oh why did my Astros subject me to such a long stretch of futility, I'll never be able to forgive them.

And for what...a World Series win over the 3 largest spending and prestigious teams in the history of baseball and a large window to rack up even more over the next decade? Pffffftttttt, count me out.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
friscodick said:

gougler08 said:

Do Rangers fans mentions the decades their team was horrific? Oh yeah that's right, they didn't even know they had a team until what 2005?
Farmer1906
AG
Sounds like yall need to fire up the **** talking thread again.
Andyzipp
AG
The Astros franchise has 3 100+ loss seasons in its history and has 1 World Series titles to show for it.

The Rangers franchise has 6 100+ loss seasons in its history and has 0 World Series titles to show for it.

Obviously their way is better.
WES2006AG
AG
You know Rangers fan is feeling insecure if they are resorting to the argument that the Astros WS title is somehow tainted because we were terrible in the years leading up to it.

It is the ultimate deflection for a franchise that has yet to experience a championship.
Farmer1906
AG
AL Projections (Fangraphs)
1. Astros 98-64 (WEST)
2. Indians 93-69 (CENTRAL)
3. Yankees 91-71 (EAST/WC)
3. Red Sox 91-71 (EAST/WC)
5. Angels 88-74 (WC)
11. Rangers 78-84 (20 games back)
15. White Sox 64-98 (Dead Last)
iBrad
AG
You know, I do feel a little for Rangers fans. This would still haunt me if it had happened to us.

Andyzipp
AG
Or this...

?w=640
AstroAggie15
AG
Andyzipp said:

The Astros franchise has 3 100+ loss seasons in its history and has 1 World Series titles to show for it.

The Rangers franchise has 6 100+ loss seasons in its history and has 0 World Series titles to show for it.

Obviously their way is better.

Sorry Andy. Stole your facts for the trash talking thread
TXAggie2011
AG
gougler08 said:

The bit of irony hasn't been lost on me that he has also spent all offseason talking about how the Rangers shouldn't waste their money trying to compete next season.
Buck Compton
AG
iBrad said:

Stay off their thread, guys. I don't want those chumps over here on ours. We won the WS. Who gives a shot what those guys think?
Oh I don't post on it, just lurked every now and then to see rumors on people like Darvish.
oldschool87
AG
DallasAg01 said:

are you serious, Correa, Bregman, Peacock, Musgrove, McCullers, Giles, Gonzales, Springer, Gattis, Kuechel, are all due Arbitration and Altuve has a team option at 6mil. The first six named all played for league minimum last year and had 1 year deals.

Ownership will have to really step up payroll, probably double to triple at least to keep everyone happy.

We are very serious...

Its actually embarrassing!!!!! Stupidly embarrassing!

Per the above poster, the entire roster except for basically Maybin have to come back, not an option...

The following people, made 550K this year, and will make the same next year.

Correa
Devinski
Musgrove
Bregman
Paulino
Fisher

Giles, Diaz, Peacock, McCullers are all making 550K, but get Arb 1 this year.

Bregman and Fisher are screwed till 20...

Marisnick should make 1.9 million
Altuve signed 18.5 for 5 years... He makes 6 million this year, next year, he gonna get paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaid!
Springer should make 9 million
Giles should make 5 million,
McCullers should make 2.4
Peacock should get 2.4

Verlander will make 28 million, but 8 of that is paid by the Tigers
McCann will make 17... 5.5 of that is paid by yankees
Gurriel 12.4
Reddick 13
Kuekel 13.2
Morton 7
Gonzalez 5...

We are locked and loaded next year!

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HOU/houston-astros-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

W
AG
actually the Astros have a team option for Altuve in 2019 too ~ $6.5 MM
W
AG
and I think it's already too late for McCann's 2019 option to automatically vest.

because he won't get a combined 1,000 plate appearances in 2017 & 2018.

so his large salary should be off the books after this season
jkag89
gougler08 said:

Yet somehow in one of those tank seasons the Astros finished above the non-tanking Rangers in the standings.
oldschool87
AG
W said:

You want to go to arbitration? Or let him test the Free Agent market??? You serious Clark? Yes the option is there. But there gonna shove a 100 million dollar contract in his face before the 19 season.
iBrad
AG
Why would you pay a guy more than you have to? As a Boris client, Altuve is unlikely to sign a deal without testing free agency. The Astros will pick up the option next year and try to resign him before the '20 season.
Thriller
AG
oldschool87 said:

W said:

You want to go to arbitration? Or let him test the Free Agent market??? You serious Clark? Yes the option is there. But there gonna shove a 100 million dollar contract in his face before the 19 season.
And if it stops at 100 or even is 1XX, he might be gone. Altuve's next contract could start with 2XX or even possibly 3XX with the way salaries are going now. It will be interesting, considering the lack of interest teams are showing to g 6/7/8 years recently. I could see Altuve signing at 6/180 or so in today's dollars, though he'll be 30 going into free agency.
Thriller
AG
On second thought, I don't think he'll crack the 3XX range at age 30. Could definitely see some team biting on a 7 year deal at 2XX
W
AG
oldschool87 said:

W said:

this argument could have made after the 2017 season too.

the Astros are going to take Altuve on the cheap as long as they can. And then pay him $25MM or something similar per season starting in 2020
BMX Bandit
Altuve is done with his arbitration years. His current deal bought out those years
oldschool87
AG
iBrad said:

Why would you pay a guy more than you have to? As a Boris client, Altuve is unlikely to sign a deal without testing free agency. The Astros will pick up the option next year and try to resign him before the '20 season.
Yes his Arbitration years are over, as of the end of 19. His contract/option year is also over at the end of 19.

Yes you can tell Altuve that were going to pay you 6.5 in 19, then he is going to leave. Or the risk of him leaving is extremely high!!!! The Astros will get out bid by many teams.

The proper and most prudent thing to do would be to negotiate with him after or during this year while he can't talk to other clubs. Reward him rather than screw him!!!

Give him a nice contract, he wants to stay here, I don't want the Yankees or Redsox offering him 250 million.

So that is why...
oldschool87
AG
W said:

oldschool87 said:

W said:

this argument could have made after the 2017 season too.

the Astros are going to take Altuve on the cheap as long as they can. And then pay him $25MM or something similar per season starting in 2020
???

He is ending a 5 year contract with a year option. Not sure what your talking about after this last season... But even if there was negotiation, worst thing that happens in Arbitration is you pay money. When he is a Free Agent, he leaves.

By giving him a new contract in 19, your saying hey we want you to be here, and were not going to screw you for another year...

You also save lots of money in the long run and he stays here. Assuming he wants to stay here. Otherwise you open this thing up for Free Agency, and the Astros will get hammered!
iBrad
AG
Negotiating a long-term deal with options left on the table requires both sides. Boras clients are not known to sign deals without letting the open market help determine their value. Next year's free agent class is likely to set a new ceiling for salaries, so I doubt Boras will be doing anything before that. And it wouldn't make sense to negotiate during the 2019 season, so expect Altuve to hit free agency, like most Boras clients do.

And to be honest, the Astros increase their chances of winning by picking up Altuve's 2019 option and using money elsewhere, rather than giving him a $19M+ raise. Baseball is still a business, and you have to balance the near-term and long-term. Is saving a little on Altuve long-term worth the added expense in the near-term? I'm sure our front office has an answer to that question, but it's likely irrelevant, as I seriously doubt they get the chance to negotiate a long-term deal with Altuve before he's a free agent.
TXAggie2011
AG
Scott Boras represented Elvis Andrus signed an extension with the Rangers. Boras has talked extensions for guys like Bryce Harper...

I'm sure some opportunity will be there. I'm not saying count on getting an extension done, but if Altuve himself wants to talk, they'll be able to talk.
Farmer1906
AG
The best offense might be even better.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-astros-offense-could-be-historically-good/c-265498460
Agnzona
With everyone going to the uppercut swing I wonder if pitchers will bail on working the corners with breaking balls and will instead throw heat high and low? That could change things.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
irish pete ag06
AG
Agnzona said:

With everyone going to the uppercut swing I wonder if pitchers will bail on working the corners with breaking balls and will instead throw heat high and low? That could change things.
The trend is already showing. More pitchers are working up in the zone at a higher rate. The Astros are some leading the way on some of this.
Agnzona
That will speed up the game more than any clock....
Farmer1906
AG
Did people not have an uppercut swing before?
Agnzona
Most pllayers had a natural swing to them. But now they are purposely swinging for that ideal uppercut launch angle. It has changed significantly.
Farmer1906
AG
What is a natural swing? Are they flat?
JJxvi
AG
Even the natural swing was always a bit of an uppercut. What has changed is the realization that hitting the ball in the air yields better than hitting the ball on the ground or even line drives. Focus in the traditional baseball sense had been to hit line drives and for fast players even to try and hit the ball on the ground. So what you have now is a fly ball mentality at the plate.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.