Astros offseason thread

344,011 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DVC2010 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Fastest offseason ever.

That's because our season has never ended so late.

That was the point.
klsmith89
AG
Not to mention we weren't pissed off at the end of the season
DVC2010
AG
Sorry. I just thought you meant the anticipation for next season.
iBrad
AG
And I don't think we're done making moves. Tons of free agents left out there. If guys aren't getting the offers they want, then you'd think playing on the defending WS champs would be pretty attractive. Keeping an eye on Tony Watson, who's also apparently good friends with Cole.
BMX Bandit
Saw one article mention Duda as a possible pick up for lefty DH. Not a "rumor" but suggested good fit.

Thoughts?
shano0603
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Saw one article mention Duda as a possible pick up for lefty DH. Not a "rumor" but suggested good fit.

Thoughts?
Career .242 hitter and .217 last season. I'll pass.
Mathguy64
AG
A couple of left handed hitting Royals are still out there, probably because of their perceived price tags.

Hosmer: .318/.385/.498, 25 HR, +wRC 135 last year
Moustakas: .272/.314/.521 38 HR, +wRC 114 last year.

Hosmer is the better hitter, Mou gets you more power. Both are corner IF so you get a backup there plus a DH. Both are 29. Hosmer has turned down $12.1MM/1YR from the Royals. Mou was making $14.3MM/2YR and also turned his qual offer down. Both want big bucks.
iBrad
AG
There are a lot of guys that want big bucks and long-term deals. If they're still unsigned come mid-February, what are they going to do? Go for money and not years? Maybe two-year deals to get past next years FA class?

I think there will be attractive additions out there in Feb. It's just a matter of fit. Right now, our 25-man roster looks full, so we'd likely have to deal someone else.
Agnzona
Good points I am perfectly okay with 20 million a year deal if its 2-3 not 6-10 years long.
iBrad
AG
It'll be interesting to see what happens with the roster over the next couple of months. I still think there might be an effort to trade guys like McHugh or Gattis for some lotto ticket prospects. Gose could throw a wrench into the pen if he makes the club. Then there's Sipp. If he sucks in Spring Training, I think we just cut him loose. Too many other options, both internal and available free agents still.

Rotation (5)
Gerrit Cole
Dallas Keuchel
Lance McCullers Jr.
Charlie Morton
Justin Verlander

Bullpen (9)
Chris Devenski
Ken Giles
Anthony Gose (Rule 5 - makes the team or goes back to Rangers)
Will Harris
Collin McHugh (Trade candidate?)
Brad Peacock
Hector Rondon
Tony Sipp (Do we cut ties and eat salary?)
Joe Smith

Hitters (12)
Evan Gattis (More DH, less C)
Brian McCann
Max Stassi (We need a better defensive option as a backup)
Jose Altuve
Alex Bregman
Carlos Correa
Yuli Gurriel
Derek Fisher (Tweener)
Marwin Gonzalez
Jake Marisnick
Josh Reddick
George Springer

Minors Pitchers
Dean Deetz
Reymin Guduan
Jandel Gustave
Jame Hoyt
Francis Martes
David Paulino
Cionel Perez
Brady Rodgers

Minors Hitters
J.D. Davis
Tony Kemp
A.J. Reed
Tyler White
BCSGrubber
AG
So what happens if fisher or Tucker have an unbelievable Spring?
iBrad
AG
Fisher had a good ST last year and still went to Fresno. Same would happen to Tucker, I'd imagine. Right now, I could see Fisher and Marisnick platooning in the outfield, with Marwin getting some starts in left versus lefties. Essentially the same outfield we started with last year with Fisher replacing Aoki and not having Beltran make his 14 appearances in the outfield.
. . .
Farmer1906
AG
DVC2010 said:

Sorry. I just thought you meant the anticipation for next season.
That was also the point.
Farmer1906
AG
shano0603 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Thoughts?
Career .242 hitter and .217 last season. I'll pass.
You gotta see past avg
3B Paul 97
AG
Any chance Beltran shows up to camp for a few days to drop some knowledge on the youngsters?

It would cool to see him walking the fields with Biggio and Bagwell.
Farmer1906
AG
disagree
3B Paul 97
AG
Why is that?
Farmer1906
AG
Beltran, to me, meant very little to this team. He had some influence helping guys out behind the scenes, but we have no idea how big or little that actually impacted the team. On the field, he was trash. In the postseason, still bad. He got his ring. He can retire a Met or Royal.

He's not in the "class of Astro" as Bidge & B****. I don't particularly care if he's hanging out with them or not.
JDUB08AG
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Beltran, to me, meant very little to this team. He had some influence helping guys out behind the scenes, but we have no idea how big or little that actually impacted the team. On the field, he was trash. In the postseason, still bad. He got his ring. He can retire a Met or Royal.

He's not in the "class of Astro" as Bidge & B****. I don't particularly care if he's hanging out with them or not.

Well for starters, nobody is trying to put him in the same class as bagwell and biggio, but its pretty well documented how much of an impact Beltran had on the team last year. Nothing to do with his production.
Thriller
AG
iBrad said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the roster over the next couple of months. I still think there might be an effort to trade guys like McHugh or Gattis for some lotto ticket prospects. Gose could throw a wrench into the pen if he makes the club. Then there's Sipp. If he sucks in Spring Training, I think we just cut him loose. Too many other options, both internal and available free agents still.

Rotation (5)
Gerrit Cole
Dallas Keuchel
Lance McCullers Jr.
Charlie Morton
Justin Verlander

Bullpen (9)
Chris Devenski
Ken Giles
Anthony Gose (Rule 5 - makes the team or goes back to Rangers)
Will Harris
Collin McHugh (Trade candidate?)
Brad Peacock
Hector Rondon
Tony Sipp (Do we cut ties and eat salary?)
Joe Smith

Hitters (12)
Evan Gattis (More DH, less C)
Brian McCann
Max Stassi (We need a better defensive option as a backup)
Jose Altuve
Alex Bregman
Carlos Correa
Yuli Gurriel
Derek Fisher (Tweener)
Marwin Gonzalez
Jake Marisnick
Josh Reddick
George Springer

Minors Pitchers
Dean Deetz
Reymin Guduan
Jandel Gustave
Jame Hoyt
Francis Martes
David Paulino
Cionel Perez
Brady Rodgers

Minors Hitters
J.D. Davis
Tony Kemp
A.J. Reed
Tyler White

You've got 26. I thought that rule didn't get implemented. I could be wrong.

If it's 25, Stassi comes off I think.
Psych
AG
Would we go with only 11 hitters?
Thriller
AG
Unless we dropped Sipp or traded McHugh, I don't see who we would leave off.
E
AG
Sipp gets dropped and Stassi doesnt make major leage team. I bet JD Davis and Tyler White will be back up infielders.
NotGibbs
klsmith89 said:

Not to mention we weren't pissed off at the end of the season

I reamember the days when we couldn't wait for the end of the season
AstroAggie15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Have to respectfully disagree. You could easily tell on TV the presence he had in the dugout. Always talking to young players, asking to have his locker by young players, and you saw it after we won the series when Springer and Co. hugged him like a father
Farmer1906
AG
WelchAg said:

Farmer1906 said:

Well for starters, nobody is trying to put him in the same class as bagwell and biggio, but its pretty well documented how much of an impact Beltran had on the team last year. Nothing to do with his production.
I was really referring to how it would be cool to see. It wouldn't to me. That's all.

How many runs did he create in the locker room? How many points higher was Bregman's slugging because of it? Would we have only won 99 games without his locker room presence?

There wasn't an aging slugger better (a couple as good/bad) that was available, but we would have been better off giving his ABs to Gattis, bringing up Fisher or Moron sooner.
Farmer1906
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Have to respectfully disagree. You could easily tell on TV the presence he had in the dugout. Always talking to young players, asking to have his locker by young players, and you saw it after we won the series when Springer and Co. hugged him like a father
Congar was a great dugout presence too. He kept guys loose. He eased the tension. He played hard. We seemed to get along just fine without him and his terrible play.

Edit:

And I am not mad about any of it. I don't hate Beltran. To me, he was more negative on the field than good in the dugout. I don't care if we see him around again or not. No biggie.
Ag_07
AG
What about the extra run he gave us in BOS by doubling off the green monster?

Or the FB hitting drill he taught Correa that he directly credited to him getting the winning hit against Chapman in the ALCS?

Or him helping out on the Yu tip pitching in the WS?

He had a major impact on this club and was well worth the 16MM he was getting regardless of his low on field performance.
Buck Compton
AG
Ag_07 said:

What about the extra run he gave us in BOS by doubling off the green monster?

Or the FB hitting drill he taught Correa that he directly credited to him getting the winning hit against Chapman in the ALCS?

Or him helping out on the Yu tip pitching in the WS?

He had a major impact on this club and was well worth the 16MM he was getting regardless of his low on field performance.
Yep. I don't know how hard this is to get through to someone... I'll go ahead and listen to the guys in the locker room, and remember that very, very clutch BOS double.
iBrad
AG
My count is 26, which is one too many. Was trying to show the surplus, especially if we were to sign another bat or bullpen addition.
Thriller
AG
Yep. Great problem to have. Need to package up some surplus and improve the DH position or secure an established bullpen arm.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Farmer1906 said:

How many runs did he create in the locker room? How many points higher was Bregman's slugging because of it? Would we have only won 99 games without his locker room presence?
What are the odds that it was Beltran and his endless film study that picked up on Darvish tipping his pitches? If he's responsible for that, then an argument can be made that he won us the World Series.
Farmer1906
AG
So now we won the world series because of a guy that batted 6/35 for 2 RBI and 0 R scored.

Thriller
AG
Farmer1906 said:

So now we won the world series because of a guy that batted 6/35 for 2 RBI and 0 R scored.

Irony. To quote someone earlier on this page: "You gotta look past average"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.