Astros offseason thread

350,838 Views | 2990 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spadilly
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ag_07 said:

While I generally tend to agree with this and am not one that leans to the 'stockpile for the future' philosophy I'm just not sure adding Cole is worth giving up Tucker.

Also keep in mind Tucker will play a important role in the future if Springer walks in the coming years. He could be our Springer replacement.
do you think trading Tucker for Archer is worth it?
Farmer1906
AG
Getting Gerritt does not mean we go back to back. I would not trade Tucker for him. Archer may be a different story though. Regardless, I want someone here longer term because we're going to have a major downgrade in pitching if we let Dallas, Charlie walk then Verlander ages naturally. Add in the uncertainty of McCuller's health are we get in deep doo doo quick. Someone like Yu or Archer long term helps negate that. Plus we should had Whitley and or JB up by the.
Ag_07
AG
Probably

More so than Cole. For some reason I don't get a hard on for Cole like I do Archer (no homo).
Mr.Ackar07
Farmer1906 said:

Plus we should had Corbin Martin up by then.
FIFY
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Probably

More so than Cole. For some reason I don't get a hard on for Cole like I do Archer (no homo).

Because he has some serious red flags after last year.
AustinCountyAg
I agree he doesn't mean we go back to back, but IMO it does increase our chances for another championship compared to what are chances will be to win in 2019,20, etc.

FWIW I am in the boat of trading Tucker for Cole, or Archer
Ag_07
AG
See I didn't know he had red flags.

I think it's more that he's in the NL and on the Pirates so I don't see or hear of him as much as I do Archer.

Archer can be truly dominating at times and I think still has not yet reached his ceiling. And maybe the same can be said for Cole but I just don't know.
iBrad
AG
I wouldn't trade Whitley for anyone right now. Tucker, perhaps, but not for two years of Cole, especially the 2017 version. Two years of Cole also doesn't really offset losing Keuchel, Morton, and Verlander. Archer makes the most sense from a trade standpoint.

Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

See I didn't know he had red flags.

I think it's more that he's in the NL and on the Pirates so I don't see or hear of him as much as I do Archer.

Archer can be truly dominating at times and I think still has not yet reached his ceiling. And maybe the same can be said for Cole but I just don't know.
His HR/9 was .48 - .74 over his first 4 years. Last year it was 1.37! Careers highs in ERA, FIP, HRs (31) and 2nd highest year for xFIP. While small his hard contact % went up as well. It has gone up every year of his career.

On a positive note. His velo was fine. His Ks were up and Walks were down after last year.
iBrad
AG
Ag_07 said:

Speaking of rotation arms...Where does Martes fit into the equation?

Showed a bunch of potential last year but also showed that he's got some glaring issues. Is he an arm we look at dealing while he has value?
Let him anchor the AAA staff with Paulino. Those guys aren't needed in the rotation and we should have enough bullpen arms, too. They can always be called up, if needed. The Fresno pitching staff last year was horrendous.

A bigger question for me are guys like Musgrove and Feliz. Assuming neither are moved in a deal, does one start at AAA? The bullpen is overcrowded right now, especially if Gose makes the team.
Ag_07
AG
Contract wise here's where they stand...

Cole made 3.7MM in 2017 and has 2 more years of arbitration before he's a FA in 2020.

Archer made 4.75 in 2017 will make 6.25MM in 2018, 7.5MM in 2019, and has club options for 2020 and 2021 at 8.25MM per year.
AgDoc03
AG
Ag_07 said:

Contract wise here's where they stand...

Cole made 3.7MM in 2017 and has 2 more years of arbitration before he's a FA in 2020.

Archer made 4.75 in 2017 will make 6.25MM in 2018, 7.5MM in 2019, and has club options for 2020 and 2021 at 8.25MM per year.
This is why I would be more willing to give up a top prospect for Archer. That's a VERY team-friendly contract for a potential ace, at worst 2nd starting pitcher.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bulldog73
AG
Those numbers make Archer a complete steal.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I agree.

Archer gives you that starter that allows you to let Dallas walk and put his money plus the savings in Archer's contract towards Altuve and Correa.

I'd give Tucker or Whitley for Archer.
iBrad
AG
If you're Tampa Bay, do you keep an affordable top of the rotation starter in hopes to compete with NY and Boston in the next four years, or do you go ahead and get a haul for him now? If I'm the Rays, I need major league ready players, as well as some top prospects. If we're dealing Tucker, something like:

McHugh
Feliz
Moran
Tucker
Another top 10-15 arm in the system
Ag_07
AG
They did already trade Longoria this offseason
iBrad
AG
That deal cleared $67M off their books over the next five years for an aging player, which is why the return wasn't better. I think that was done more for roster flexibility going forward than to signify a rebuild.

The Rays have a top 5-10 farm system and one of the lowest payrolls in baseball, with very little committed beyond 2018 now. They are positioned well to hit a very good free agent market next offseason to supplement a competitive young roster.

With Archer under a team-friendly contract for four years, I would have a hard time parting with him unless it's netting me a ton.
DVC2010
AG
I don't want Archer. His feud with Orbit would be toxic in the clubhouse.
Ag_07
AG
DVC2010 said:

I don't want Archer. His feud with Orbit would be toxic in the clubhouse.

cone that you?
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Psych
AG
Soooooo........

Where do you go to take this photo?
shano0603
AG
Psych said:

Soooooo........

Where do you go to take this photo?

In his man cave
gigemJTH12
AG
awesome Dan!
coastalAg
AG
Good Correa sound bite

MosesHallRAB04
AG
What's he supposed to say to the Houston question?

Hell no, I'm out at the first chance I get.
Ag_07
AG
Hasn't he said before he was looking forward to FA?

Paraphrasing but something along the lines of 'Every player looks forward to being a FA.'

Basically, he has previously hinted at hitting the open market. Only reason I remember is that it sent many on here clamoring that he was basically already a Yankee.
Farmer1906
AG
I think it has more to do with his potential A-Rod like contract.
coastalAg
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

What's he supposed to say to the Houston question?

Hell no, I'm out at the first chance I get.
Is this directed at me? All I did was post a clip.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Mainly posted at the person who asked him the question in the video.
TREX01
If you were going to handed a winning powerball ticket when you hit free agency, you would be excited about it too.
Ag_07
AG
No doubt. And I'm not berating him for that.

My point was that he has in the past said some things that have hinted at him hitting the open market. The take of 'What do you expect him to say to that question' hasn't always been accurate.
bearkatag15
AG
byfLuger41
AG
TO THE DROP ZONE!!!
W
AG
that's why I chuckle at the ESPN talking heads and other pundits that keep going on and on about how great Manny Machado is and what a huge contract he's going to get
TXAggie2011
AG
Manny Machado is great and he's going to get a big contract.

And that doesn't preclude that Alex Bergman had a great 2017.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.