Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's here (COVID 19)

406,898 Views | 3356 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TexasAggie008
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
nai06 said:

DFWTLR said:

CampingAg said:

DFWTLR said:

double aught said:

DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

DFWTLR said:

nai06 said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

DFWTLR said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Masks required. Wearing one is a good idea, but how is that remotely enforceable, much less constitutional?

And honestly, to have a public health impact, should have been done 2 weeks ago.
It's not constitutional, but neither is fining people for getting within 6 feet of each other. Grocery stores, etc can enforce it pretty easily, no entrance unless you're wearing a mask.

You could walk right by them. What are they going to do grab you?
If they want to, yes. Although I suspect they will just call the police. If a store says you have to wear a mask to enter and shop and you refuse and walk past them you are going to get hit with a criminal trespass.

According to lord Clay there is no government enforcement of this.
I'm talking about if a store makes it their policy to shop with a mask. You can't refuse and just walk in the store and shop.

I'm not sure that's correct...

Even a store 'policy' won't make it criminally enforceable
Are you sure? I think a business owner can kick anyone they please out of their store, as long as it's not due to them being part of a protected class.

Sure, they can kick whoever they want out, but the police won't and can't do anything. If a store said you have to wear a purple shirt to shop and they would call the cops on anyone not wearing a purple shirt nothing would happen, same scenario.

I assume most stores will have someone at the door 'making sure' you're wearing a mask, but they won't do anything if you aren't.
Uhh I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure if a privately owned business asks you to leave for any reason (other than the protected class exception) and you don't, that's grounds for the police to take action.

I'm no lawyer either, but that's not correct. The business, or anyone for that matter, can call the cops but they won't do anything unless you have done something illegal.

Not leaving when a business owner asks you to leave is something illegal. Its criminal trespassing.
Just wanted to see one more quote box.

And to come down right in the middle, it's illegal but the police aren't going to waste their time on arresting someone for not wearing a mask, they're just going to tell that person to leave.
TexasAggie008
AG
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/04/17/dallas-county-commissioners-vote-to-scale-back-county-wide-mask-order-reopen-crafts-stores/

The aspiring tyrannical dictator is at least being reigned in somewhat

Trucker 96
given where our numbers are, this being established as a requirement should have come hand-in-hand with reopening non-essential business. this is complete overreach otherwise. I also think it may hurt us when things do reopen because it is going to slow us to a crawl in getting to the other side of the curve
Comeby!
AG
Abbott released the state's plan. It's out of Jenkin's hands now.
hatchback
AG
Won't counties have some autonomy to decide what is best for their constituents? Counties decided when to close things down, so shouldn't they also decide when to open up?

Forgive me if Governor Abbott discussed this, I haven't read his announcement.
Agnzona
His order may very well just be guidelines, just like the White House is?
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Ag CPA
AG
Schools CLOSED the rest of the academic year (no surprise), retail allowed to operate pick-up/curbside operations starting in a week, including reopening state parks and allowing non-emergency medical procedures.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Closed as in dismissed, or still teleteaching?
Comeby!
AG
I would interpret it as teleteaching still on.
Bones08
AG
Summary of Abbott's order as I understand it:
  • Beginning April 24, allow "retail-to-go". Stores will be allowed to bring orders straight to cars like some restaurants are currently doing.
  • Some nonessential surgeries will be allowed as long as they do not deplete hospital supplies of PPE and do not interfere with hospital capacity that is being reserved for COVID-19 patients.
  • State Parks open Monday. No groups larger than 5, safe distance from others not in their group, and wearing masks in required.
  • Public schools, private schools, and universities will remain closed through the school year.

Additional openings and such may be announced on April 27th based on further input from medical staff.

Correct me if I got anything wrong there.
Robert C. Christian
AG
That is how I read it but "closed" just seems like the wrong word.
Comeby!
AG
Well the schools are currently closed.
Hood
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

Probably should have thrown the word 'campuses' in there somewhere...
Bones08
AG
Yea the verbiage they used is that schools will "remain closed" which suggests to me "proceed as you have been"
Robert C. Christian
AG
Hood said:

Robert C. Christian said:

Probably should have thrown the word 'campuses' in there somewhere...

Ok, that would make it clear. I'm just dense.
tysker
AG
Bones08 said:

Yea the verbiage they used is that schools will "remain closed" which suggests to me "proceed as you have been"
Including the non-education facilities including playgrounds, tracks, courts, fields etc? They are currently off limits. (The closure of school tracks, courts etc is one reason why the parks and WRL are so packed.)
Ag CPA
AG
tysker said:

Bones08 said:

Including the non-education facilities including playgrounds, tracks, courts, fields etc? They are currently off limits. (The closure of school tracks, courts etc is one reason why the parks and WRL are so packed.)
Is that a state or county mandate (I don't know).
Bones08
AG
You've reached the end of my knowledge on this. Searched around a bit and couldn't find answers. Sorry.
ursusguy
AG
WRL and Bachman are about the only parks that are packed.
ursusguy
AG
Campus closures came down from the ISDs.
tysker
AG
Ag CPA said:

tysker said:

Bones08 said:

Is that a state or county mandate (I don't know).
I think the closures of ISD facilities was a request from Dallas plus the Parks Dept plus the PD. People were just using the school playgrounds when parks were closed and then then the JH and HS tracks,/courts become busy with exercisers/players and police kept getting calls about so much non-social distancing. So instead they just asked the ISDs to shut it all down. Made it easier for everyone.
planoaggie123
AG
Somehow my company is going to be supplying facemasks to every person every day in order to comply with the Dallas County ordinance.

I thought face masks of any kind were hard to get...not sure how they are pulling this one off.

We are still working home through May 1 (as allowable) so I am guessing that will not be extended any further and we will likely all be back at work on May 4th....
Hood
AG
The IHME model that predicted widespread catastrophe (accounting for social distancing) is, yet again, being revised downward. Here's Texas:

Trucker 96
Shut the whole state down for 957
Ol Jock 99
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Or only 957 because we shut down the whole state. Will take a while to figure out which is correct. Truth, as always, is probably in the middle.
Comeby!
AG
If we did it right, we'd be beaching about how we overreacted. As someone who knows multiple folks dealing with death over this, I see it both ways. Your latte will have to wait.
Hood
AG
Well, does everyone remember the ridiculous 480,000 number the IHME started out with for Texas?

The "scare the ever-loving **** out the populous, then revise your estimate downward to 1,000" is a absurdly costly way to do things.

IMHO, the models are garbage AND we've done a lot as a county/state/nation to suppress the spread. But un-employing 22 million-and-counting Americans is a tragedy that will likely eclipse the COVID fear pretty soon.

Have a good weekend, folks.
Phat32
AG
Very sorry for your related loss, but instead of latte I think you mean their small business that is now bankrupt.
Phat32
AG
We were laughing at that model when it came out. What a ****ing joke.

I hope this gets people to actually vote in local elections.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I'm not going to claim to be an IHME P1, but we've been watching it a while. I don't know where Jenkins got that 500k number. Theirs was way lower the day of that press conference.
Comeby!
AG
I run 3 small businesses. If you're doing it right you'll be ok.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Comeby! said:

I run 3 small businesses. If you're doing it right you'll be ok.

A bit preachy to state that every single person that losses their job and every single business that goes under is doing it wrong, don't you think? I'm glad you are so happy about financial hardships for others.
Trucker 96
The life stage of the business + the type of business + where it is located are obviously key. But it's a lot easier to be a snarky ****nut
Trucker 96
Ol Jock 99 said:

Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Or only 957 because we shut down the whole state. Will take a while to figure out which is correct. Truth, as always, is probably in the middle.

I think we'll find it's in the middle like #10 is somewhere in the middle of 1 and 1000. This thing is still going to make its way through the population. Preventing a hospital overrun is/was really the main need. We could have done that with a much more strategic approach
Fitch
AG
IHME Data:

I don't know. The to-date data looks pretty close. Magnitude of the peaks has swung a lot, but models are only as good as their assumptions, right? Would rather be lucky than good in this case.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.