BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2021)

459,535 Views | 1380 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by australopithecus robustus
J182
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
👽
ontheedge
Stores continue to open and close in Post Oak Mall. Anyone know the latest "health" report on the mall?
Collectonian
ontheedge said:

Stores continue to open and close in Post Oak Mall. Anyone know the latest "health" report on the mall?
In their 2020 SEC filings, CBL says it's at 93% leased and was averaging 332 sales per sq. ft., which is up from 2019 (though we locals know that fluctuates). That's about all they say though, no mention of any renovation plans or the like (in the 2019 filing, they did mention the updates for Conn's). The numbers seem roughly in line with their other properties.

Of course, they wrote and filed that before Macy's announced their departure so.... be interesting to see how that changes next year...
PS3D
Someone told me that 4344 Highway 6 South (former Bush's Chicken/Pie in the Sky) is reopening as a restaurant again with a tenant signed, but I can't find anymore information on it.
bushytailed
AG
PS3D said:

Someone told me that 4344 Highway 6 South (former Bush's Chicken/Pie in the Sky) is reopening as a restaurant again with a tenant signed, but I can't find anymore information on it.

Somewhere in this thread a poster said it'll be another Don Chente. The original is on Villa Maria across from HEB.
PS3D
bushytailed said:

PS3D said:

Somewhere in this thread a poster said it'll be another Don Chente. The original is on Villa Maria across from HEB.

That was referring to the Highway 21 location.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Spice world is open.
trouble
AG
Was just coming to post that
ratfacemcdougal
Don Chente Hwy 21 hoping to be open by the end of the month.
nthomas99
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Spice world is open.

I went today.

It's primarily Indian / nearby region ingredients, sauce mixes, snacks, and frozen foods. The selection is pretty good.

Apparently it's owned by the people who own the minimart in Bryan which traditionally has been the only good place to go to get Indian ingredients in town. She said they wanted to open up here to serve more families.

They are going to open a deli area in a few weeks with fresh naan and take out Indian food. Great owners and is an awesome addition to South College Station.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Rusty posted a pretty good video on his Facebook of the store if anyone's interested.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
nthomas99 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Spice world is open.

I went today.

It's primarily Indian / nearby region ingredients, sauce mixes, snacks, and frozen foods. The selection is pretty good.

Apparently it's owned by the people who own the minimart in Bryan which traditionally has been the only good place to go to get Indian ingredients in town. She said they wanted to open up here to serve more families.

They are going to open a deli area in a few weeks with fresh naan and take out Indian food. Great owners and is an awesome addition to South College Station.

I was in grad school and asked my Indian buddy where to get some ingredient and he said 'oh, just go to the mini mini mini mart'. I was like 'what the hell is that?. Had no idea there was a gas station with an Indian grocery in the back, lol.

Here's a picture of the sign if that doesn't click with anyone.

war hymn aggie
AG
Snooze (opposite side of Five Guys) put up their road sign last week.
scd88
AG
nthomas99 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Spice world is open.

I went today.

I went today and, as an Indian who's mom used to drag to Hillcroft and 59 in Houston, I am impressed with that store. Will be a definite go to.
Collectonian
Chill Milkshake and Waffle Bar's coming soon sign is now up, it is going to be on Texas in the strip beside Harvey Washbangers. Their FB still notes it will be August when the open, but no specific date given.

Website in case it wasn't posted earlier: https://chillmilkshakeandwafflebar.com/
meezermom
Spice World will be a definite go-to on at least a bi-weekly basis for us - amazing people and the assortment was fantastic. Can't wait for the fresh takeout and naan!!!
snaglepuss
ratfacemcdougal said:

Don Chente Hwy 21 hoping to be open by the end of the month.
Their last health score of 70 has turned me off from them.
PS3D
Another Dutch Bros coming to town...300 University Drive East at Eisenhower...where an insurance office used to be. How many does that make now? 5?

Also: "The Good Bull" coming to Northgate in the old 4.0 & Go space (probably not related to Good Bull BBQ)
The Cookshack, a restaurant based on Fort Worth coming to the old Pei Wei
Exxon at Harvey Road and Hwy. 6 to be torn down and rebuilt (still a gas station)
Juanita's restaurant coming to The George (likely the Mexican restaurant concept replacing Poppy).
ibdm98
AG
PS3D said:

Another Dutch Bros coming to town...300 University Drive East at Eisenhower...where an insurance office used to be. How many does that make now? 5?
That's a busy part of town - curious to see how they're going to work out the traffic situation there.
theNetSmith
AG
PS3D said:

Exxon at Harvey Road and Hwy. 6 to be torn down and rebuilt (still a gas station)
wonder if it will be the same owners.

if you go inside to buy something, watch out for how much "tax" gets added to your purchase.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
ibdm98 said:

PS3D said:

That's a busy part of town - curious to see how they're going to work out the traffic situation there.

I see this going the way of the frozen yogurt joint. 'Oh, one worked, so let's build twenty'. The city obviously cannot support that many yogurt joints, so now there are no yogurt joints..
ibdm98
AG
Not so sure about that - they don't put loads of caffeine in froyo.
halibut sinclair
PS3D said:

That's the old Bruce Boyd State Farm office. Looks like they tore down something else next door and a Tropical Smoothie Cafe is going in there.

https://www.tropicalsmoothiecafe.com/
bcstx06
Esteban du Plantier said:

ibdm98 said:

PS3D said:

I see this going the way of the frozen yogurt joint. 'Oh, one worked, so let's build twenty'. The city obviously cannot support that many yogurt joints, so now there are no yogurt joints..

Yeah I think they are way over doing it. Like when Wayback Burger came to town opening 3 locations. Now it's just one. I think they would've done better if they had placed one in the west side of Bryan near the new Chick-fil-a. They put way too many in College Station.
PS3D
bcstx06 said:

ibdm98 said:

PS3D said:

Yeah I think they are way over doing it. Like when Wayback Burger came to town opening 3 locations. Now it's just one. I think they would've done better if they had placed one in the west side of Bryan near the new Chick-fil-a. They put way too many in College Station.

Wayback Burgers isn't a good example since the restaurants were well-run or particularly popular to begin with.
ChampsAg
Don't tease about Tropical Smoothie Cafe! My kids will be excited. We go every time we are out of town. Been saying that one would kill it here.
ReelAg6
bcstx06 said:

ibdm98 said:

PS3D said:

Given our distance from the major metros there's a certain number of locations that many QSR restaurants or similar chains have to hit to move into the market. For Dutch, that number is probably 4 or 5, so they can have a district manager for the stores here.
kaj63
The Renegade Kitchen in Bryan is hosting a "Friday Night Foodtique" on Fridays from 5-8pm through the end of August. Businesses that cook out of the shared commercial kitchen will have their products to sample and purchase. Last week featured Sweet Eve Creations, Gumbeaux Cajun Catering, M&M Seafood, Tio Tamales and the Taco Boss. You should check it out!
war hymn aggie
AG
Blue Baker now serving breakfast again.
BCSLocal01
Don't know if it's been mentioned but saw signs for a Crumbl Cookies coming to the chicken salad chick center!
BCSWguru
their cotton candy cookie this week is so bad. The cinnamon whatever is the bomb, though.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Crumbl will crush it!
trouble
AG
war hymn aggie said:

Weekends only until the semester starts.
war hymn aggie
AG
trouble said:

war hymn aggie said:

Nope.
Every day starting yesterday.
7:30-11am M-F
8:30-11 weekends
trouble
AG
war hymn aggie said:

trouble said:

war hymn aggie said:

Nope.
Every day starting yesterday.
7:30-11am M-F
8:30-11 weekends

Excellent. That's not what we were told Saturday.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.