BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2021)

458,975 Views | 1380 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by australopithecus robustus
dallasiteinsa02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trader Joe's should jump on that building.
PS3D
dallasiteinsa02 said:

Trader Joe's should jump on that building.

What would they do with the remaining 80% of the building?
Captn_Ag05
AG
I was told Main Event reached out about the space a couple of years ago, but the owner wasn't interested in selling. Not sure if that was just a rumor or there was truth behind it. I am not sure how Covid has impacted their business and willingness to expand.
PS3D
Sorry if already posted but...
- Smoosh Cookies coming to Northpoint Crossing (first location already in Jones Crossing)
- Hotworx Studio coming to Tower Point (first location already near Holleman H-E-B)
- New gas station/convenience store coming to 1919 West Villa Maria Road (name/brand TBA)
- Tradehome Shoes (Post Oak Mall)
Captn_Ag05
AG
I wish Smoosh good luck in that location. Nothing has survived there.
PS3D
Also Chipotle has a sign up at its new building at Wellborn and Southwest Parkway. Probably still a few months out at this point.
BryanPooch
Anytime Fitness is remodeling the long-time Cenare Restaurant at 404 University Dr. E and plans to open in November. We're still sad that Mrs. Cerone is no longer operating Cenare.

Glad to see the space used, though!

BryanPooch
rc_cat
It's probably already been mentioned, but is there a specific restaurant slated to move in behind the building that houses Snooze and Five Guys? Looks like it has a patio area and drive through window - but didn't see any signs.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
BryanPooch said:

Anytime Fitness is remodeling the long-time Cenare Restaurant at 404 University Dr. E and plans to open in November. We're still sad that Mrs. Cerone is no longer operating Cenare.

Glad to see the space used, though!

I'd pay handsomely for the gnocchi de mare recipe

She was great. Sorely missed.
S
Hot Worx sign up in the space next to 1860 Italia in Towerpoint.
FlyRod
Bangkok Thai Kitchen on Harvey Mitchell is under new management. The couple who owns it are very nice, and the menu has greatly expanded (they had me at "duck basil."). Picked up lunch today and though a fan of the previous one, I think the quality of this one is better.
nthomas99
AG
Thanks for heads up. I wonder if they're off to start another restaurant . They were original kluay kluay owners. Honestly never thought we'd reach the Thai restaurant saturation post we have.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I think I read on this thread that they are starting one in south CS, but I've slept since then and can't remember
MiMi
S
Quote:

I think I read on this thread that they are starting one in south CS, but I've slept since then and can't remember
Are they the same as the owners of Taste of Thailand (on Holleman Dr, old Rosie's Pho location)? The menus are similar.
trouble
AG
MiMi said:

Quote:

Are they the same as the owners of Taste of Thailand (on Holleman Dr, old Rosie's Pho location)? The menus are similar.
I had heard they were but someone told me I was mistaken. I haven't been over there to see for myself.
FlyRod
I doubt they are the same owners. I noticed Taste of Thailand has a whole section on Thai salads, but Bangkok Thai Kitchen does not.

The last owners of Bangkok Thai Kitchen moved to Houston (which happened with Clay Oven, the first and far away best Indian restaurant BCS had, or is likely to have).
BCStalk
Any idea on new seafood places coming to the area?
PS3D
Not really a "new" thing per se but the local BB&T banks (which bought them from Citibank back in 2014, which bought First American Bank) are becoming "Truist" following a merger with SunTrust.
nthomas99
AG
trouble said:

MiMi said:

Quote:

I had heard they were but someone told me I was mistaken. I haven't been over there to see for myself.
The Taste of Thailand owners were the 2nd owners of Kluay Kluay, not the first. Can't wait to see what the 3rd owners of Kluay Kluay eventually open up
nthomas99
AG
Geralt of Rivia said:

This would be welcome news. They would make a killing on takeout.
trouble
AG
nthomas99 said:

trouble said:

MiMi said:

Quote:

The Taste of Thailand owners were the 2nd owners of Kluay Kluay, not the first. Can't wait to see what the 3rd owners of Kluay Kluay eventually open up

I can't keep up
isitjustme
AG
toolshed said:

BTU decided that property was too small and is planning to build next to our near the dps. No dirt is morning as they just recently made the decision.

I think the dirt work just north of Woodville on the west side of 6 is a storage building, at least according to the coming soon sign.

N of 2818 and W of 6, the big area cleared is the new Fedex facility.
Actually, the highlighted part below from an earlier post played into the relocation. Heard on the radio that because the area was being improved, there may be interest from business wanting to locate near a new and improved park complex.

"I'm pretty sure that BTU is building a new headquarters next to Bomber Field in the midtown park area. I passed by the Bomber Park area a while back and the area is really starting to look great. It's going from run down to really nice."
toolshed
AG
New Burger Mojo location in the end cap next to the new Frost Bank on Briarcrest. Announced on the FB. Will have the Vinnaboss and So Fly menus there as well.
toolshed
AG
isitjustme said:

toolshed said:

BTU decided that property was too small and is planning to build next to our near the dps. No dirt is morning as they just recently made the decision.

I think the dirt work just north of Woodville on the west side of 6 is a storage building, at least according to the coming soon sign.

Actually, the highlighted part below from an earlier post played into the relocation. Heard on the radio that because the area was being improved, there may be interest from business wanting to locate near a new and improved park complex.

"I'm pretty sure that BTU is building a new headquarters next to Bomber Field in the midtown park area. I passed by the Bomber Park area a while back and the area is really starting to look great. It's going from run down to really nice."

Huh?? So someone's post on TexAgs about the place looking nicer convinced them to change their minds?

Per the KBTX article announcing the change of plans, they stated that:
"The city decided after some discussions and some consideration to reserve that spot for maybe a retail or commercial activity since it's really right across from Bombers Park and right by the new ball parks. Probably better reserved for some kind of activity as a back entrance into the new Midtown Park," said Gary Miller, BTU General Manager.

He said their future place will have more land available on Bryan's north side."

So the BTU General Manager did say the new location by the DPS office would have more land available.

I understand the city wants to promote the site to a more retail type development because of the Bomber Field and the future development of the midtown park. I think it would be a long time before a restaurant or some type of nicer retail survives there, bomber field is only used a fraction of the year. Otherwise, it's smack in the middle of a low income area. Feed Barn survives their location, I assume because of local lunch crowds. We haven't been in years but dinner was always pretty sparse when we went. It's more out of the way, but the old Armory location isn't exactly prime real estate.

My assumption is the city will sit on it for several years until the surrounding area is more developed and can support a retail or food business there.
isitjustme
AG
toolshed said:

isitjustme said:

toolshed said:

Huh?? So someone's post on TexAgs about the place looking nicer convinced them to change their minds?

No, that's not what I meant.

What I meant was the area is really starting to look nice, as the poster and many others have likely noticed on their own, not from TexAgs. So there is more interest from businesses wanting to locate there, because of the improvements and likely more traffic looking to eat or shop somewhere near the park. Kind of matches the first part of the BTU guy's statement.

Believe me, if I thought TexAgs had that much pull, I'd be more careful.
snaglepuss
BTU on HWY6 bypass next to DPS
bcstx06
isitjustme said:

toolshed said:

isitjustme said:

toolshed said:

No, that's not what I meant.

What I meant was the area is really starting to look nice, as the poster and many others have likely noticed on their own, not from TexAgs. So there is more interest from businesses wanting to locate there, because of the improvements and likely more traffic looking to eat or shop somewhere near the park. Kind of matches the first part of the BTU guy's statement.

Believe me, if I thought TexAgs had that much pull, I'd be more careful.

It was me who made the comment about the area starting to look nicer.

Capt.Starbuck
Received a call this morning from one of the masseuses', Boardwalk Salon and Spa closed last Monday. I'm sad to hear this because I've been going there for almost 20 years :-(
Bcs90
Pappasito's coming to the old ninfas building!
aggiepaintrain
AG
Bcs90 said:

proof
FJB
theNetSmith
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

Bcs90 said:

proof
yeah.. you can't just come in here and spout off like that

people have feelings
techno-ag
AG
Bcs90 said:

Google has nothing and you are a rook account. Hmmmm.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
australopithecus robustus
Can this town even afford a Pappasitos? I can hear the uproar of price complaints already!
JayHowdy!
techno-ag said:

Bcs90 said:

Google has nothing and you are a rook account. Hmmmm.
Why would Pappasito's go there when they already own the land on University Dr.?
toolshed
AG
Ready made building, similar to their architecture of other Pappasitos, though I'm not aware of any that I've been to that were obviously another building before they moved in.

Parking would be a nightmare. It was already a small lot for Ninfas. I don't know if the property has more land to expand parking.

I'd be surprised if they actually moved in there. Though maybe a Gringos move to town prompted them to follow along? Again, not likely, as they are very deliberate in their business decisions and play the long game, as seen by the land purchase on University.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.