BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2021)

458,954 Views | 1380 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by australopithecus robustus
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Esteban du Plantier said:

DimeBox17 said:

I also don't know how Taco Bar has stayed in business for this long at the Wellborn location. I think their food is great and I've been there quite a bit but there's hardly ever anyone there. Rolando is a really nice guy no doubt.

He's a great dude. We go most weekends for breakfast. Their party packs are a great value/amount of food.

I really hope the new location works, the current store is a lot closer to the population income center (between Holleman and Fitch).
With good food and good marketing, the old Mad Taco location can draw a lot of students and visitors to A&M. Good food priced reasonably will be found if near campus. The location has great overflow parking behind the bank.
bcstx06
snaglepuss said:

I have never heard what is going in on the by-pass access road at 6&William Joel Bryan north of the Valero. I just wanted to say that the lot they are working on is a swamp pit! Always muddy and tractors sunk in the mud... What is being built here?

I believe that is a new hotel going up. Last year I remember seeing plans for it on the City of Bryan planning and development page.
FlyRod
woodiewood1 said:

Esteban du Plantier said:

DimeBox17 said:

I also don't know how Taco Bar has stayed in business for this long at the Wellborn location. I think their food is great and I've been there quite a bit but there's hardly ever anyone there. Rolando is a really nice guy no doubt.

He's a great dude. We go most weekends for breakfast. Their party packs are a great value/amount of food.

I really hope the new location works, the current store is a lot closer to the population income center (between Holleman and Fitch).
With good food and good marketing, the old Mad Taco location can draw a lot of students and visitors to A&M. Good food priced reasonably will be found if near campus. The location has great overflow parking behind the bank.

Great news! Taco bar's tacos are awesome, Rolando is a great guy, and smart of them to have booze.
maroon barchetta
I hope it does well. I just don't think that location is helpful to a restaurant. Especially one with menu items also served at more convenient locations like Fuego and Las Palapas within spitting distance.

They don't have taco competition at SW Pkwy and Wellborn unless they are worried about Chipotle moving in soon.
jja79
AG
I personally think it's the best of those 3.
RyanFromTexas
Any update on an In-N-Out location?
Koko Chingo
AG
I do not think it will be likely we get one for a really long time.

They do not franchise and tightly control all of their logistics and supply chain. Their Texas distribution center is in the metroplex. That is why they have built up there and then down I-35. With 3 stores in Houston, I would imagine places along I-45 will start getting them. I think Corsicana, Madisonville, Huntsville, Conroe, The Woodlands, and Spring have a lot better chance of getting one than we do as of now. Come on I-14…..

We do not have the interstate traffic or other population centers until you get to Waco (they have one) Madisonville (that's why they have Buc-ee's ) or Cypress (big population with good income).

We would need to be geographically in line with other stores or the end of a supply line. If Madisonville or Huntsville gets one, and something along 290, then we may have a shot. Or Houston gets its own distribution center.
PS3D
I remember before COVID they wanted a location near campus but nothing seemed to be available at the time.

Now, with the former Holiday Inn/Four Points shut down on a prominent roadway they might just get their chance. If there's any hope for InO here, it's that piece of land. If it reopens without being demolished then forget it.
techno-ag
AG
Interestingly, a lot of stuff finally seems to be opening here even without an Interstate, including Cracker Barrel and now a Costco.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Esteban du Plantier
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I hope it does well. I just don't think that location is helpful to a restaurant. Especially one with menu items also served at more convenient locations like Fuego and Las Palapas within spitting distance.

They don't have taco competition at SW Pkwy and Wellborn unless they are worried about Chipotle moving in soon.

Las Palapas is the slowest restaurant in the world. I ate lunch there once at it we good, maybe not memorable.

Then I've gone inside twice more and waited so long before anyone coming by that we just left. And then left once at the drive through. I eventually got served once at the drive through and that was very slow.

So I've tried them 5 times and only successfully been served twice, both of those times really slow.
maroon barchetta
Weird. I go once per week to the drive-thru and never have an issue.

They aren't as fast as Fuego but I never wait an unacceptable amount of time.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Weird. I go once per week to the drive-thru and never have an issue.

They aren't as fast as Fuego but I never wait an unacceptable amount of time.

Maybe they just don't like me.
maroon barchetta
T&P's
FlyRod
With The Bypass, why would we need an interstate to attract new businesses?

techno-ag said:

Interestingly, a lot of stuff finally seems to be opening here even without an Interstate, including Cracker Barrel and now a Costco.
maroon barchetta
FlyRod said:

With The Bypass, why would we need an interstate to attract new businesses?

techno-ag said:

Costco won't be on the bypass, correct?
FlyRod
Anyone try that Capriatti's sandwich place in the old Fox and Hound location? Menu looks great…could give Jersey Mike's a little competition.
MiMi
S
Quote:

It will have entrances from the Hwy 6 feeder road between Fitch and Barron.
Koko Chingo
AG
The interstate could be more of an In-N-Out specific thing. In-N-Out is a little different in the way they do things because of the way they operate and control their entire supply chain. None of the raw ingredients are frozen. They also have a policy to limit stores within 500 miles of a distribution center. They only have six distribution centers for the entire company (2 in CA, 1 in AZ, 1 in UT, 1 in CO) including the one in Dallas.

Chains like Cracker Barrel have partnerships with nationwide conglomerates such as Smithfield for meat. They will also freeze things and use local suppliers such as US Foods for things like eggs, produce, etc. Costco looks more at current and future median household income to gauge a store opening. The average transaction is over $100 versus the cost of a fast-food meal.

With all that, things do look a little more promising because Houston has 3 restaurants and the I-45 corridor does not have any. Based other restaurant locations they should eventually start filling in the gaps with restaurants. Hopefully BCS can fit in there somewhere. The current Houston stores are all on the west/north-west side. They could push up 290 to 6 before going straight up I-45.

I would love to have an In-N-Out here. Besides the great food they are a fascinating company. They put bible verses on the bottoms of their cups knowing they are going to get negative attention for it. They could easily open thousands of stores nationwide and they would all be profitable. Yet, they choose to keep the company private and do not franchise.

I absolutely hate that majority stake of Whataburger was sold to BDT Capital Partners out of Chicago. I hope more companies can stay true to their roots and also be profitable enough to not get tempted to sell to big conglomerates.

techno-ag
maroon barchetta
MiMi said:

Quote:

It will have entrances from the Hwy 6 feeder road between Fitch and Barron.

So no, not on the bypass.
althormoon
The new Chipotle on Wellborn/Southwest Pkway appears to be open
Jetty
AG
Smithfield sold out to Hong Kong.
folkband
Does anyone know if BigShots golf has opened? Drove by tonight and it looked like it may be open for business.
Broncos
No. Probably a few weeks out still.

They just started training their staff.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I'm planning an event at BigShots. They told me last week that January 1 is their expected open date and that they will be doing a soft open for a few days prior. Not sure if they are still sticking to that timeline or not.
theNetSmith
AG
I feel obliged to make a post here about Koko's Star of Texas, a BBQ place halfway between Navasota and Anderson on Hwy 90. While technically not in B/CS and not new new (it's been open for a year now), this seemed like the best place to mention it.

On Christmas Eve, my gf and I wanted to both go for a drive and try something new, so I searched for restaurants in Navasota and found this place with 29 five-star reviews on Google. What piqued my interest, tho, was that they only had five-star reviews, nothing less. So we made the drive and I was so glad we did. From the outside, it looks like a total dive and it's easy to miss if you aren't watching for it, but don't let that deter you. We had very recently eaten at a "top 50" BBQ place in San Marcos (Hays County BBQ), and Koko's was far and away better. We got the sampler platter with 4 sides and everything was delicious and had that home cooking feel about it.

And no, I do not know the owners and I have no vested interest in their success or failure. Just wanted to share a great experience.

Also, they are only open on Fridays and Saturdays.

MiMi
S
I checked out Koko's Facebook page and menu. Could be worth the drive to check it out. I saw an image on their FB page that says they are cash only. Is this current policy (or maybe an older image)?
Aggieland Proud
AG
Thanks for the tip. Drive by that place all the time but never looked it up or even considered stopping there. Yes, it does look like a "dive" or a truly local's type spot. Will give it a try now!
theNetSmith
AG
I can't remember what the owner said was the problem with accepting credit cards, but yes, you are correct. They are still only accepting cash or check. I completely forgot to mention that.

It's only been a week since we were there and I'm so anxious to go back. Plenty of things on the menu that I'd like to try. If you read just a handful of their reviews on Google, you will see some of the non-bbq things people have enjoyed there.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
That looks like a serving for SIX

not two.

Thx for the heads up
Okay I'm about to start the 2022 Coming and Going, Please let me know if anything is missing on this rough draft

BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2022)

COMING SOON
Aggieland Express Car Wash - Old Ft. Shiloh lot
Anytime Fitness - 404 University Dr. E
Burger Mojo - Frost Bank Center on Briarcrest
Carmax - Hwy 6 College Station near Cooper's BBQ
Chill Milkshakes and Waffle Bar - Harvey Washbanger's Center
C & J Barbeque - Briargate Dr.
Comfort Inn & Suites Bryan
Corn Fusion Wellborn Road
COSTCO - College Station Midtown
Dairy Queen Caprock
Dave's Hot Chicken - Old Urban Brick's space on Texas Ave
D-Bat Aggieland is being built near Edible Field in Bryan.
Drury Inn & Suites - Chimney Hill
Gringos -Tower Point
Hotworx Studio - Tower Point
Hush & Whisper - New distillery from the Astin Partners
Jason's Deli Bryan
Kanji Sushi - lakewalk Bryan
Kirks Automotive - College Station
La Madeline French Bakery & Cafe - Century Square
Lick Ice Cream - Century Square
Lotus Chinese Restaurant - Holleman Dr.
Nappanee, Indiana NTA Inc. - Major employer coming to Bryan
Rapid Express Carwash - Villa Maria next to Walmart
Royal Touch Laundry - Next to Layne's on Wellborn
Russo's New York Pizzeria and Italian Kitchen - University Drive
Shogun Japanese Grill & Sushi Bar - Tower Point
Smoosh Cookies - Northpoint Crossing
Study Station - Holleman Dr.
Tradehome Shoes - Post Oak Mall
Z Bar & Bistro - Old Loupot's building in Northgate

NOT HAPPENING... FOR NOW
French Fry Heaven
Hyatt House - Bryan near Cracker Barrel (under construction for many years)
Pappadeaux

RECENTLY OPENED
BigShots Golf (Jan 1, 2022)
Chipotle on Wellborn/Southwest Pkway
Glo by TFO - "auto spa" - Old NAPA Auto Parts building on 2818 in CS
The Cookshack Old Pei Wei location on University

CHANGING LOCATIONS/CHANGING NAMES/REMODEL
Douglass Mazda - New Building same location
Taco Bar - Moving to Old Mad Taco/MadMelt Location Jane Street
The Ranch Harley Davidson Building a new location along HWY 6

RECENTLY CLOSED/CLOSING
Cake Junkie has closed

**RUMOR MILL**
New HEB Grocery Store @ or near Boonville & University Drive
Buc-ee's at Fitch and 6
P Terrys - Looking for Locations around town
Panda Express rumored to be coming to Tower Point
Tower Point/Caprock Chipotle rumored to be in the works.
Trader Joe's @ Lake Walk/Atlas

News, Site Development and Planning & Zoning Agendas:

Texas A&M Real Estate Center - College Station-Bryan News
https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/news/newstalk-texas/#Default=%7B%22k%22%3A%22%22%2C%22r%22%3A%5B%7B%22n%22%3A%22owstaxIdRECMSASingle%22%2C%22t%22%3A%5B%22%5C%22%C7%82%C7%824c307c233064313965386432632d383034332d343431392d626239622d3238656432363038346331347c436f6c6c6567652053746174696f6e2d427279616e%5C%22%22%5D%2C%22o%22%3A%22and%22%2C%22k%22%3Afalse%2C%22m%22%3Anull%7D%5D%7D

City of Bryan new developments:
http://docs.bryantx.gov/planning_development/sdrc/

City of College Station new developments:
https://www.cstx.gov/departments___city_hall/pds/publications/new_development_list/

Visit College Station
https://visit.cstx.gov/

Destination Bryan
https://destinationbryan.com/

Bryan/College Station Chamber of Commerce
https://www.bcschamber.org/

*Businesses listed in bold indicate that they have recently been added to the list.

mgreen
Cookshack is open.
EBrazosAg
AG
Do we have to wait for the demolition permit to take Hyatt House off the list ?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DisneyFan5
I think there is an issue with what is going into the old Mad Taco location...Is it Taco Bar?
Esteban du Plantier
AG
DisneyFan5 said:

I think there is an issue with what is going into the old Mad Taco location...Is it Taco Bar?

Yes, needs to be updated to say Taco Bar is going into that spot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.