BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2021)

459,100 Views | 1380 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by australopithecus robustus
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've gotten takeout from them a few times. It was pretty good, but yeah, I was always the only customer there and there were a couple of employees doing paperwork in a booth the whole time I was there.
BryanPooch
The partner and I have eaten at Babylon maybe 30 times but only a couple times in recent years. The food has ranged from OK to excellent. Their early months were a bit rocky and had too many staff and too few cohesive policies.

The hookahs and their heavily scented vapors wafting through the dining room have stopped us from going much of the time.
BryanPooch
Sub4
AG
Does anyone know what's up with Taco Bar on wellborn? Oldam Goodwin has their suite for lease and says available Feb 2022.
Are they moving or shutting down? I really like Taco Bar so hope they stay around.
trouble
AG
I haven't heard anything. I'll ask the next time we're in the.
Average Joe
AG
Sub4 said:

Does anyone know what's up with Taco Bar on wellborn? Oldam Goodwin has their suite for lease and says available Feb 2022.
Are they moving or shutting down? I really like Taco Bar so hope they stay around.
Hopefully upgrading. I really like them.
PS3D
Sub4 said:

The state taxpayer site says there's a business called "Corn Fusion" that's at that address.

Here's their website:
https://www.cornfusionbcs.com/
Sub4
AG
That's confusing. The suite is for lease in 2022. Corn Fusion has a website saying "coming Early 2021". While Taco Bar is currently in the unit right now.
trouble
AG
Corn Fusion is owned by Taco Bar. It's going to be a food truck.
joho
That food truck is appropriately named, judging by the prior posts. Thanks trouble for clearing it up!
techno-ag
AG
KBTX story on the new data center at RELLIS. May become one of the biggest taxpayers in the county.

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/05/12/new-data-and-research-center-could-call-rellis-campus-home/

Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
toolshed
AG
And our leaders will still spend more, vs cutting us taxpayers a break!!
TommyBrady
AG
"A&M is so valuable that they can't stay away from it, so when the city and county give them a tax break, it's not necessary," said Southerland

That way of thinking is what helped us miss out on multiple big opportunities over the years. It makes absolutely no sense
techno-ag
AG
TommyBrady said:

"A&M is so valuable that they can't stay away from it, so when the city and county give them a tax break, it's not necessary," said Southerland

That way of thinking is what helped us miss out on multiple big opportunities over the years. It makes absolutely no sense
Agreed. You've got to buy a stock first before it starts paying dividends.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Sub4
AG
Agreed, They're getting a rebate from their own property Taxes. No one's tax money is going to this company.
Wvpd0707
AG
You have look at the bigger picture. Rellis is a valuable asset for the City of Bryan, College Station and Brazos County. This new center opens up opportunities for more companies and new businesses. It is a win win for all the entities and citizens to allow the incentives. New jobs and good development potential for west Bryan.
Post removed:
by user
UmustBKidding
Be glad you missed the late 70s-y2k
eloc62
My daughter told me tonight about a bbq food truck named 1976 bbq out on hwy 30. Anybody heard of this place, or been there? I found them on FB.
ChampsAg
I think that they used to be out on OSR. They have been known to try and capitalize off 1775's success when people confuse the two.

I haven't had the BBQ but haven't heard much about it.

They park in the beer joint parking lot across from Smitty K's. Used to park at the Cole Stop gas station.
LastHamlet
AG
ChampsAg said:

I think that they used to be out on OSR. They have been known to try and capitalize off 1775's success when people confuse the two.

They park in the beer joint parking lot across from Smitty K's. Used to park at the Cole Stop gas station.

They haven't been known to do that. He even mentions them on his Facebook page to avoid confusion.

They're both good but 1775 is better. Never got them confused either.
bushytailed
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

MiMi said:

New biergarten and brewpub set to open Friday in Downtown Bryan

Next to the Kyle House. Napa Flats will have their food truck on site. Open Friday - Sunday.

I got to meet the owners. Sounds exciting. They (husband and wife) have quite the brewing resume, working at Cigar City, Jester King, and Shiner.

We went last night. It's a great outdoor space. They had sold out of several of their beers on Friday night so half the taps on Saturday were guest taps. I'm looking forward to going back and trying more of their beers. It's nice to have another brewery option in BCS especially with New Republic closing.
cslifer
Honest question, do you ever have anything nice to say about local folks that may work in IT such as yourself?
Esteban du Plantier
AG
bushytailed said:

It's nice to have another brewery option in BCS especially with New Republic closing.

In my opinion, New Republic was terrible, so it's like we have a new brewery, not a replacement brewery.
Post removed:
by user
chickencoupe16
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

cslifer said:

Honest question, do you ever have anything nice to say about local folks that may work in IT such as yourself?

I have friends that work in the business and are local. I've worked for 3-4 different local places, last one being around 2010. I live local, but definitely don't work local.

The problem with IT jobs in B/CS is simply this: you get what you pay for. When the salary high water mark is $50-$60k, the level of competency is about bottom of the barrel. Are there really good people who work for peanuts? Yes, I know a couple, but in general, they move somewhere else to make more $$$ - I know a couple dozen of those folks. It's also been my experience that you can't treat IT and IT security expenses like an afterthought.... just ask the guys at Colonial Piieline, Equifax, Target, Etc.

ETA: the Teague remark? I've seen broom closets at Junior Colleges in south Kansas that are better "datacenters".

Anyone who's good in IT can easily make 6 figures if they want to. I'm not in IT, but I've dealt with IT departments that could never hope to compete with the tech giants, oil and gas, defense contractors, etc. and it shows. There are definitely those that, for whatever reason, settle but those are the exceptions to the rule.
chloelee
Buff City Soap coming to Jones Crossing by I Heart Mac & Cheese.
rocketscience
AG
chloelee said:

Buff City Soup coming to Jones Crossing by I Heart Mac & Cheese.
While bison soup sounds interesting, it is Buff City Soap, a sorta hippie soap place like Lush.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
rocketscience said:

chloelee said:

Buff City Soup coming to Jones Crossing by I Heart Mac & Cheese.
While bison soup sounds interesting, it is Buff City Soap, a sorta hippie soap place like Lush.

Seems like a heckuva challenge to make a living selling soap to hippies
AG
Tortilleria Mi Tierra opened today in Bryan. If you're coming from Hwy 6 on WJB it's just on the other side of downtown. They offer freshly made tortillas (by the kilo), salsas, food plates, and other items. There is no seating so the food plates are to-go. The tortilla machine is cool to watch. My corn tortillas were still warm when I got home. My only regret is only ordering 2 tacos.

https://www.facebook.com/TortilleriaMiTierraBryanTX/
BCStalk
I saw that today. Right before the Boys and Girls Club. Definitely will stop next time I'm that way.
Collectonian
F & F has opened at Culpepper. Looks like Japanese and Korean food. Their website doesn't have the CS menu up yet, but someone posted pics on FB: front & back

Also, per KBTX Zands raised enough money to get caught up on their rent and will remain open.
halibut sinclair
Collectonian said:

F & F has opened at Culpepper. Looks like Japanese and Korean food. Their website doesn't have the CS menu up yet, but someone posted pics on FB: front & back

Links no work.
Collectonian
halibut sinclair said:

Links no work.

Updated my post to hopefully fix - cropped the links a little too well LOL
chickencoupe16
AG
Never mind.
kddub
LastHamlet said:

ChampsAg said:

They haven't been known to do that. He even mentions them on his Facebook page to avoid confusion.

They're both good but 1775 is better. Never got them confused either.
He changed his name from Mr. BBQ to 1976 after 1775 started getting recognized by TX Monthly and other media outlets. I have a screenshot from Facebook to prove it but cant figure how to post it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.