BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2021)

456,876 Views | 1380 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by australopithecus robustus
One Louder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
trouble said:

Girl, same. I was always willing to eat there for a group lunch or whatever because it was easy but it was never something I'd choose.

Pluckers is sooo much better than any of the wings here in town. Wings N More has puny wings.
trouble
AG
If I'm going to get wings, it's usually Wing Stop.
Tailgate88
AG
trouble said:

If I'm going to get wings, it's usually Wing Stop.
We had a whole thread on this. I don't eat wings (or anything fried) very often but the Angry Elephant triple-fried are really, really good. I don't go there to get the wings, but we often get the wings when we go there.

Wings-n-More are tiny and always seem overdone to me. I usually get the grilled chicken salad there with a side of extra hot and dip the chicken in it. Weird, I know.

But with all the hype around Pluckers I guess I'll try them if it comes to town...
Broncos
Pluckers fooled us all.

They aren't coming.
trouble
AG
Was just coming to post this
KidDoc
AG
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
trouble
AG
Yeah, I saw the thread. I rarely eat wings. Pluckers chicken tenders are better than some places but it's just not a place in going to choose on my own.
trouble
AG
What do you expect from sips?
FlyRod
Quote:

How is that a business graveyard?

Dat Dawg
West End Elixir
Blackwater Draw
That place that had a whole bunch of restaurants come and go--Front Porch, a potato place, a banh mai place, etc.

Others I can't remember at the time.

So I'll accept australo's amendment that it is indeed a restaurant graveyard.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
FlyRod said:

Quote:

How is that a business graveyard?

Dat Dawg
West End Elixir
Blackwater Draw
That place that had a whole bunch of restaurants come and go--Front Porch, a potato place, a banh mai place, etc.

Others I can't remember at the time.

So I'll accept australo's amendment that it is indeed a restaurant graveyard.

When Eccell's parking went away, all that died. Nobody was going to walk from northgate parking all the way down to Bodega or Elixir.
deh40
AG
Elixir was poor management and supposedly inside theft.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Looks like Antonio's closed

Hittag1492
AG
Geralt of Rivia said:

Looks like Antonio's closed

Damn...
chickencoupe16
AG
I always assumed that Antonio's was a gold mine. I guess the Northgate rush wasn't enough to offset all of the non-night life hours. If I think about it, I have never considered Antonio's except for when I was at the bars.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Costco deal continues to move forward and should be open in 2023.

https://wtaw.com/college-station-finalizes-costco-agreement/

Quote:

Natalie Ruiz, Director of Economic Development and Tourism, says they are scheduled to close on the property this month.

"They have to be open for business before the end of 2023. I would be surprised if you didn't see activity on the site by the end of January," says Ruiz.
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Need hotels and restaurants in the expo center and rellis not midtown park. Wings more express explodes, Popeyes is inedible but still busy am sure few new places on Walmart plot help but most people complain nothing close to get something quick and would like closer hotel so dont have to trek to check horses in evening and early morning. K ow they have lost some shows to glen rose because of this.

When RELLIS was announced however many years ago, commercial property went up for sale along Hwy47 and Hwy 21 in that general area, like crazy. Almost no retail development other than Lake Walk, to-date. More residential and industrial, but yes, hard to believe there has been almost zero retail development out there!
althormoon
Solaris Tan will be closing permanently at the end of this month
bcstx06
Three Twenties and A Ten said:

UmustBKidding said:

Need hotels and restaurants in the expo center and rellis not midtown park. Wings more express explodes, Popeyes is inedible but still busy am sure few new places on Walmart plot help but most people complain nothing close to get something quick and would like closer hotel so dont have to trek to check horses in evening and early morning. K ow they have lost some shows to glen rose because of this.

When RELLIS was announced however many years ago, commercial property went up for sale along Hwy47 and Hwy 21 in that general area, like crazy. Almost no retail development other than Lake Walk, to-date. More residential and industrial, but yes, hard to believe there has been almost zero retail development out there!

Yes! It seems like Bryan hasn't been trying much when it comes to attracting retail and restaurants in certain areas of town. I remember a few years back land being cleared across from the Miramont area near the Wheeler Ridge area. What happened to that? It was supposed to be a high end town/shopping center for that area.

There where plans years ago for a hotel development on the corner of Sandy Point and 2818. Whatever happened to that?

I mean I know there is already a Ross in College Station, but there is room for another in Bryan (there is over 250,000 people in Brazos County). Just using that as an example, there are plenty of retailers that Bryan could easily attract.

I hate to criticize the city because they are doing great in so many other areas but I'm sorry, they need to start attracting more retail and restaurants. Maybe we can borrow Natalie Ruiz for a few pointers.

I can't wait to see the RELLIS Area develop. Maybe one day we can get some South College Station type developments (only a little more organized and less car reliant).

Here's an idea City of Bryan! How about a Aldi anchored shopping center at The corner of Sandy Point and 2818? This would services a huge food desert and give the huge new neighborhood across the street a place to shop near by. It would also be a great place to stop before heading to Lake Bryan.
jac4
AG
Three Twenties and A Ten said:

UmustBKidding said:

The prices of those commercial properties are high. There are 5-10 listed now and have been on the market for some time. I'm no businessman, but it seems like you'd have to have an awfully profitable business to make it work there. Maybe prices will drop or the market will catch up. I would have assumed West Bryan development would be further along at this point after RELLIS announcement.
Wvpd0707
AG
Bryan seems only to be able to concentrate on one major development at a time. Right now that major development is Midtown. College Station on the other hand seems to be more on the ball. Natalie Ruiz is great in terms of recruiting new business to College Station. The Rellis area needs to be developed as A&M has pumped a ton of money into that campus and are recruiting major companies to locate here. Maybe there are secret meeting going on now that Bryan is working on??? Only time will tell. Hopefully that time won't turn into years. West Bryan has been neglected for years.
PS3D
A few years ago I saw a bit plan that would reconfigure Texas Avenue Crossing to have a Sprouts, and World Market was either supposed to move or close to accommodate that. Where is Sprouts? They need to do something soon about that center.
snaglepuss
Captn_Ag05
AG
I believe this is what you are referring to. It was a proposal to locate a Sprouts at the location at Bush and Texas or Parkway Circle. Not sure it has gone any further than the proposal.

http://anyflip.com/zqrm/iqpt/basic
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Serious question

What is the fascination with Sprouts? What do they carry that makes you want to shop there over the other options? Or is it service? Special items you can only get there?

Thx
AG
Sprouts has a much greater selection of vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, etc. items than typical grocery stores. They also have a larger selection of chemical free household and toiletries, homeopathic, probiotics, and vitamins than at a typical grocer.

None of that really appeals to me, but I do like their bulk items, spices, and coffee selections.

They have a lot of the things you will find at Whole Foods, but with slightly better prices.
ontheedge
An employee at the Cypress Costco says next May for the CS store. They better get moving.
MiMi
S
Quote:

An employee at the Cypress Costco says next May for the CS store. They better get moving.

From an earlier post on this thread (about 12 posts above this one):

Quote:

Natalie Ruiz, Director of Economic Development and Tourism, says they are scheduled to close on the property this month.

"They have to be open for business before the end of 2023. I would be surprised if you didn't see activity on the site by the end of January," says Ruiz.

https://wtaw.com/college-station-finalizes-costco-agreement/

AG81
AG
ontheedge said:

There is ALREADY activity at that location. Several earth moving pieces of equipment on the Midtown Rd. side. It doesn't take them long to put these up, it's not a complicated build.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Costco builds in about 120 days once they start. Who knows with supply chain issues if they will be able to stay on their normal timeline.
ontheedge
AG81 said:

ontheedge said:

There is ALREADY activity at that location. Several earth moving pieces of equipment on the Midtown Rd. side. It doesn't take them long to put these up, it's not a complicated build.
I'm curious where this is. I have seen some activity near the building that Gogh Gogh coffee is in but that wouldn't be a large enough space IMO.
theNetSmith
AG
the street I highlighted here is Midtown Dr., with the S&W hospital at one end and Lowe's/Tad's at the other. based on the very low res map image on the WTAW page linked above, it looks like the Costco is going to be built in this white area:

theNetSmith
AG
I think there should be more 'spurs' connecting Midtown to the Hwy 6 feeder. Anyone know if Barron will be extended to Midtown?
textar4404
ontheedge said:

AG81 said:

ontheedge said:

I'm curious where this is. I have seen some activity near the building that Gogh Gogh coffee is in but that wouldn't be a large enough space IMO.
There's a map with the location marked in the link posted above. It's just hard to read because it's really blurry. If you recognize the roads (Rock Prairie / Hwy 6 / WDF) you can see where it will be.
Captn_Ag05
AG
The address listed on the site plan for Costco is 4321 State Highway 6 South. It is directly across 6 from Walk-Ons and Saltgrass.
ratfacemcdougal
ontheedge said:

AG81 said:

ontheedge said:

The space next to the coffee shop is the new Harley-Davidson building

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.