BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2021)

456,501 Views | 1380 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by australopithecus robustus
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Quote:

Macy's is closing also.
I'm not surprised. I walked through there a couple of weeks ago and it looked like a clearance store.
woodiewood1
FlyRod said:

Brazos Natural Foods closing for good.
Hate to see them close as I bought some items there once in a while.

The problem is is that much of what they had you could buy the same thing for about 1/2 the price online. When everyone's economics is so tight and many persons losing jobs or getting hours cut back, people have to look for the least expensive options.
australopithecus robustus
Online sales are why the entire landscape of retail is changing. This was happening before covid. The ripple effect is changing the physical landscape too as real estate has to pivot uses and concepts.
woodiewood1
Someone with some innovative outside the box thinking could make the mall property successful. Put in some nice townhouses and higher end apartments on the far west parking lot outside of Pennys. When Pennys goes belly-up begin to develop a nice plaza with greenery and fountains in the parking area. Maybe an outside entertainment area. Bring in additional restaurants surrounding the outside areas with restaurants attached to the mall in the Pennys space. It would be a twenty year project but I believe it would work. Otherwise, it will continue its slow death.

AggieBaseball06
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

Online sales are why the entire landscape of retail is changing. This was happening before covid. The ripple effect is changing the physical landscape too as real estate has to pivot uses and concepts.

Yep. I'm willing to pay a little bit more to buy from a local retailer rather than online but when it starts gets 20%+ more expensive, I just can't justify it.
luarg18
AG
Looks like the Canes in front of the Briarcrest Wal-Mart is going to happen.
https://www.kbtx.com/2021/01/06/raising-canes-working-to-bring-new-location-to-bryan/
Post removed:
by user
toolshed
AG
Has it been mentioned what's going in between a Taco Bell and Double Dave's on Boonville, behind the Chase Bank? Saw dirt work going on there this morning. Looked big enough to be pad development.
AggiePhil
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

A scenario I can envision is the city buying the property, and sitting on it several years...

Would make a great master planned city center/downtown!
techno-ag
AG
woodiewood1 said:

FlyRod said:

Brazos Natural Foods closing for good.
Hate to see them close as I bought some items there once in a while.

The problem is is that much of what they had you could buy the same thing for about 1/2 the price online. When everyone's economics is so tight and many persons losing jobs or getting hours cut back, people have to look for the least expensive options.
Also more selections available at Kroger & HEB.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Jason86
AG
toolshed said:

Has it been mentioned what's going in between a Taco Bell and Double Dave's on Boonville, behind the Chase Bank? Saw dirt work going on there this morning. Looked big enough to be pad development.
I think that is where the Dutch Bros Coffee will be going in
chloelee
Does anyone know what is going on at Kent/Briarcrest? Old Seafood Mama's
BlueMiles
AG
I'm repeating what someone replied when I asked this question. The answer was "a strip center."
australopithecus robustus
woodiewood1 said:

Someone with some innovative outside the box thinking could make the mall property successful. Put in some nice townhouses and higher end apartments on the far west parking lot outside of Pennys. When Pennys goes belly-up begin to develop a nice plaza with greenery and fountains in the parking area. Maybe an outside entertainment area. Bring in additional restaurants surrounding the outside areas with restaurants attached to the mall in the Pennys space. It would be a twenty year project but I believe it would work. Otherwise, it will continue its slow death.

Certainly that's sound thinking but the question is if it's bankable and makes the feasibility cut. We can all dream big to be sure, but can it make financial sense? If I'm the lender on that project I'd need to feel pretty damn good about it.
JM04
AG
BlueMiles said:

I'm repeating what someone replied when I asked this question. The answer was "a strip center."

Yes a strip center w/ Frost bank as anchor tenant
Bones2012
AG
Not sure if this was posted or not but I believe I saw the Texas a&m agrilife extension office for Brazos county being built next to the tax office on Pendleton off of highway 30 in Bryan.
ChampsAg
1860 Italia open according to Facebook posts I've seen
rsincs
AG
College Station development page shows plans for a 19 story apartment building in Northgate where Lutheran Student Services is currently located.
rocketscience
AG
rsincs said:

College Station development page shows plans for a 19 story apartment building in Northgate where Lutheran Student Services is currently located.
That could be a new tallest building in Northgate. Hope this means Northgate development is going to pick up some steam again.
frito bandito
AggiePhil said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

A scenario I can envision is the city buying the property, and sitting on it several years...

With a lake and a signature bridge, too!
Tailgate88
AG
frito bandito said:

AggiePhil said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

With a lake and a signature bridge, too!
It has to succeed - it won't be too far from the bypass!
techno-ag
AG
rocketscience said:

rsincs said:

That could be a new tallest building in Northgate. Hope this means Northgate development is going to pick up some steam again.
The concentration of students into Northgate continues then.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Bones2012
AG
rocketscience said:

rsincs said:

Wow that is a pretty tall building, how tall is aspire? 15 stories? Also, wasn't there some type of ordinance on how tall buildings could be in cs or am I making that up?
lawless89
Anyone know what's going on at the two little warehouse buildings on the corner of 30 and Harvey? Right behind that C&J's BBQ and little church. I know it used to be a body shop way back, but the last couple of months they've been entirely redoing the inside and out. Pouring new driveways right now.

We live down Nunn Jones and one day a Ford GT (half a million dollar car) was there and another day my wife said there was a bunch of "older restored cars" there. Curious as to what it's going to be.
rsincs
AG
I think it's an FAA rule due to the proximity to Easterwood. I remember seeing something about the maximum for that area was about 20 stories.
rsincs
AG
A Net Full of Jello
AG
rsincs said:

I think it's an FAA rule due to the proximity to Easterwood. I remember seeing something about the maximum for that area was about 20 stories.

Which makes me wonder if this new complex will have a 13th story and be 1 story shy of the maximum or really be 2 stories shy...
EBrazosAg
AG
Not sure about that one. They have some rules about protected areas for precision approaches but they don't prevent building, it's just that new buildings change the approach if present.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PS3D
Yesterday (1/8) was when Dutch Bros. on Deacon & Rock Prairie had its grand opening, pretty big crowds but they had a larger parking lot as to not cause problems on Wellborn.
FlyRod
Were there lines wrapped around and spilling on to the road like the Great Dunkin Opening?
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
PS3D said:

Yesterday (1/8) was when Dutch Bros. on Deacon & Rock Prairie had its grand opening, pretty big crowds but they had a larger parking lot as to not cause problems on Wellborn.
One of my kids went today. Said it was great service, super short wait despite the long lines, staff was well-trained, and coffee much better than Dunkin' or SSUX! Good to (possibly) have a solid coffee drive-thru option in town. Love supporting Harvest and Lupa's/Gogh Gogh, but will be nice when don't have time to go inside somewhere.
Tailgate88
AG
csag97 said:

PS3D said:

One of my kids went today. Said it was great service, super short wait despite the long lines, staff was well-trained, and coffee much better than Dunkin' or SSUX! Good to (possibly) have a solid coffee drive-thru option in town. Love supporting Harvest and Lupa's/Gogh Gogh, but will be nice when don't have time to go inside somewhere.
I got the same report from my kiddo. No food though except muffins apparently.
AggieBaseball06
AG
csag97 said:

PS3D said:

You know Gogh Gogh has a drive-thru right?
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

csag97 said:

PS3D said:

You know Gogh Gogh has a drive-thru right?
You are correct...had forgotten that. Just never think of the Real Estate Services building when thinking of coffee. Probably should.

For quality coffee in BCS though, Harvest and Carport Coffee are my go-to's. Lupa's was pretty good and the baristas knew their stuff. Haven't ever gotten that vibe from Gogh Gogh and have been into their new location (old Lupa's) several times. May just be my personal preference.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.