BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2021)

459,245 Views | 1380 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by australopithecus robustus
Goose83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wasn't there talk at one time of a Jason's Deli in Bryan? Either near the Target, or in the reworked Super Walmart parking lot? I'm guessing it fell through as nothing has ever materialized.
toolshed
AG
Briarcrest Walmart. But I'm assuming that fell through, I think the Canes took the place of it.
Goose83
AG
toolshed said:

Briarcrest Walmart. But I'm assuming that fell through, I think the Canes took the place of it.
That's what I was thinking.

Bit of a bummer, as what we really needed was yet another chicken place in Bryan (said no one).
EBrazosAg
AG
Canes ain't another chicken place …..
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Anchor
AG
Tell that to the constant lines I see there.
RyanFromTexas
KidDoc said:

It is free on Sunday, just FYI. Porter's does a solid brunch!

Good to know. What are your recommendations on the brunch menu?
KidDoc
AG
RyanFromTexas said:

KidDoc said:

It is free on Sunday, just FYI. Porter's does a solid brunch!

Good to know. What are your recommendations on the brunch menu?
Brisket breakfast tacos or the huge pancakes. We had plenty for another meal each.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BrandoC
AG
How much did that cost, $50?
Donny Hall
Taco Bar on Wellborn is moving into Mad Taco early 2022

edit: moving into original "mad melt" location by mojo
maroon barchetta
Donny Hall said:

They are moving to the Mad Taco location at Caprock and taking over the space?

Or Mad Taco is taking over the Taco Bar space?
trouble
AG

PS3D
maroon barchetta said:

Donny Hall said:

They are moving to the Mad Taco location at Caprock and taking over the space?

Or Mad Taco is taking over the Taco Bar space?

Neither? They're moving to the old Mad Taco/Mad Melts location on Jane Street.
maroon barchetta
Ok. Yeah, that hasn't been a Mad Taco in awhile. I wasn't sure.

That location is bad. I don't know why any restaurant would move in there. Just not a convenient enough easy/out for most people.

Location location location.

That spot doesn't have it.
Slagathor
AG
The owner of Taco Bar is such a nice person and they do have good food, so I hope they succeed in this new spot.
jja79
AG
He's great and they do have really good food.
trouble
AG
Agreed.
BryanPooch
The Porters brunch menu is on line. It's pretty limited but not really too expensive.

We went once on a football weekend and it was so busy that we had to sit at the bar. The food came within five minutes of ordering and was wonderfully delicious. The bartenders were great.

A few weeks later, it was a quiet, non-football weekend. It took forever to get seated in uncomfortable chairs. Our waiter replaced them. Great kid. We had the same items as before. The food was very sloppy and indifferent and we were sorry we hadn't gone to Denny's.

I DID have the brisket tacos....great the first time, but not the second. In neither case was there a surfeit of food and certainly NOT enough for a normal diner to have leftovers.

Still, I'd give it a try. And hopefully the place would perform like our first visit, not the second.

We often find restaurants are dismal when they're very quiet.
BryanPooch
DimeBox17
AG
I also don't know how Taco Bar has stayed in business for this long at the Wellborn location. I think their food is great and I've been there quite a bit but there's hardly ever anyone there. Rolando is a really nice guy no doubt.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
DimeBox17 said:

I also don't know how Taco Bar has stayed in business for this long at the Wellborn location. I think their food is great and I've been there quite a bit but there's hardly ever anyone there. Rolando is a really nice guy no doubt.

He's a great dude. We go most weekends for breakfast. Their party packs are a great value/amount of food.

I really hope the new location works, the current store is a lot closer to the population income center (between Holleman and Fitch).
rocketscience
AG
Andy's Frozen Custard coming to Southwest Parkway and Wellborn with a February start date. This place is really good.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Project/TABS2022008036
BCSWguru
How is it different than Freddy's?
Hittag1492
AG
LSCSN said:

Andy's does not have food-only the custard and all its variations I believe.
dstarr6442
AG
Their custard beats the hell out of Freddy's. I find a way to go every time I'm in Tyler, and I've told myself that they would make a killing in this town if they ever made it.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I feel like Andy's is similar to Shakes that used to be on University (loved their concretes).
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
dstarr6442 said:

Their custard beats the hell out of Freddy's. I find a way to go every time I'm in Tyler, and I've told myself that they would make a killing in this town if they ever made it.
Agreed!! Used to live in the Midwest where they had Andy's as it was expanding out of Missouri for the first time. Saw 15-20 cars lined up at one near our home one time, in January, the night of a very heavy snow. Remember thinking that if that could happen, it could be successful damn near anywhere!! Reached out to them in regards to opening one in BCS several years ago (bc of that memory!) and the Central Texas group who is opening this location had already purchased the franchise region that included BCS. They will absolutely kill it!!!

Traffic will also be an absolute nightmare at that intersection!! (4) fast food chains on one side, several other restaurants on the other, and a major apartment complex entrance/exit?!?! Gotta love College Station Zoning and Planning!!
Captn_Ag05
AG
I heard P Terrys is looking at that area for a potential location as well. There or near the chick fil a at Jones Crossing.
BlueMiles
AG
It looks as if Cake Junkie on 29th Street has closed up. There isn't a sign on the door, but the inside tables (where they used to display cakes) have been removed.
trouble
AG
They've been closed a while
snaglepuss
I have never heard what is going in on the by-pass access road at 6&William Joel Bryan north of the Valero. I just wanted to say that the lot they are working on is a swamp pit! Always muddy and tractors sunk in the mud... What is being built here?
BlueMiles
AG
I had not seen any vehicles there for a while. I didn't find it mentioned on page 1, and didn't remember seeing anyone mention it. I probably missed it. Another Covid victim.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

I heard P Terrys is looking at that area for a potential location as well. There or near the chick fil a at Jones Crossing.

Garbage food
trouble
AG
I honestly don't think they reopened this year. Their last Facebook post was last December
RyanFromTexas
LSCSN said:

One time my wife and i were curious about the differences too and compared them back to back, both chocolate and vanilla (this was in Waco, where they are nearly across the street from each other).

We like Freddy's and my wife is a big fan of their burgers, but we both agreed that Andy's custard had better texture and richer taste on both chocolate and vanilla.

I also like the idea of specialization and as others have pointed out Andy's only offers custard desserts, no burgers, greasy smells, or flavor contamination.
m3prsive
P Terrys is awesome. Would do great here with all the students. I had talked to them a few years ago and were more interested growing between Austin and San Antonio. Maybe things have changed.
Eliminatus
AG
PS3D said:

UhOhNoAgTag said:

I was at Post Oak Mall today. Has Casa Ole always been there? I've never noticed the sign until today.

It's been there for 38 years. You just now noticed?

Did the same yesterday. Walked by and was like ... "Interesting".

Been here over a decade now and just realized there was one there...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.