Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake thread 2020

320,776 Views | 1871 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Null and Void
Badace52
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That is generally true for American snakes but worldwide it is a very bad rule that doesn't hold up.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
Not really. They are less pushing muscles down and more spreading them out and their heads/jaws are very flexible
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BadAzzBohemian
AG
West Houston wildlife...

DaveAg02
AG
First nope rope on our land - had the property since October. This one was under the fishing boat on the pond bank in a cattle track.

Stive
AG
He looks....happy.....
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Did you nope on out of there?
DaveAg02
AG
W.C. Griffin '09 said:

Did you nope on out of there?

Nope. Too close to the kids playing area. I killed him, then used the moment to show my kids the fangs, discuss the ID cues, and show them the continued bite reflex of the reptilian brain in the spinal cord. Don't like to kill em, but don't want to wish I had on the way to the children's hospital.
TonkaTruck
Need some help. Sorry for bad quality
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Texas Brownsnake or Dekay's Brownsnake
agsquirrel97
AG
TonkaTruck said:

Need some help. Sorry for bad quality

If you wear crocs enough to wear out the soles, you definitely need some help!
irish pete ag06
1990AG
AG
Mea Culpa...

I didn't WANT to kill him....but I have a real question....

Ran into a BIG Copperhead by my garage door at lunch. Too close to too many things that he couldn't stay there. Too much that he could hide in for me to let him live. For this....I am truly sorry....

Now...this guy was 30 inches long and 1.5X bigger around than a golf ball from just slightly below his head the length of his body to the tail.

My wife got pics of me wrangling him, but not of the snake itself. What would make his body that kind of dimension....

Again....Sorry Mouth...I didn't want to kill him but he couldn't stay there....

TulsAg
AG
Red rat snake (seen in Naples, FL)
SteveBott
AG
That is a cool snake.
Pantera
AG
$79.99 at a pet store near you!

But in all honesty awesome snake find and pics!
AZAG08
AG
I was completely taken by surprise when I saw this while walking home from work yesterday. Only the second snake I've seen here in Alberta in the last 18 months

I believe it's a wandering garter snake
TacosaurusRex
I wouldn't have expected to run into one in the great far north!

Questions for the board, do any venomous species of snake live in predominantly cold environments?
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
AZAG08
AG
At least in Canada there are two types of rattle snakes, but all in the very southern part of the country.
In Alberta for example, the prairie rattle snake inst really even as far north as Calgary and that's <150 miles from the border
ApachePilot
AG
ID please.

Daddy-O5
AG
Hognose.
ApachePilot
AG
That was my guess! He was right up on my house. I walked away for a few minutes and he is gone. Pretty cool!
AtlAg05
AG
In the backyard, from internet searches I figured it was a eastern black king snake. 2-3 ft

I think this was the same one that came from underneath my grill after I had turned on the gas. Wasn't expecting that!
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

I think this was the same one that came from underneath my grill after I had turned on the gas. Wasn't expecting that!
I will never approach my grill or smokers the same ever again...
12f Mane
AG
Nice!
AtlAg05
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

Ha! Same for me, I make sure to bang on it with the cover on and off just to make sure.
txags92
AG
AtlAg05 said:

agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

Ha! Same for me, I make sure to bang on it with the cover on and off just to make sure.
That just stirs up the wasps and lets them know to be ready when you open the lid.
McGibblets
AG
Came across what I believe was a juvenile northern water snake this morning, but didn't have a camera due to rain forecasts. Wish I had one, because I'm definitely unsure after looking at some pictures
12th Man Ag
AG
Well, this jump starts the heart when you walk out this morning and it is right outside the garage! Sheesh!
BrokeAssAggie
Guess you don't need your coffee today
Txgunrnnr
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

Guess you don't need your coffee today

Nope, just some Dude Wipes!
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
12th Man Ag
AG
Nope. I'm wide awake!
Pantera
AG
I think copperheads are one of the best looking snakes out there. Maybe that has to do with me growing up in central Texas and them being everywhere, but they are so damn neat. How can you be so pretty yet menacing at the same time?!
STB 85
AG

Little help please. ID?
12th Man Ag
AG
I'm going with rat snake.
MouthBQ98
AG
Looks like a rat snake to me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.