Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

633,425 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by HalifaxAg
Bitter Old Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have you read all 81 pages? If not, do it, and you will hate a lot of things by the end of it....
Blanco Jimenez
AG
1990AG said:

Bitter Old Man said:

Have you read all 81 pages? If not, do it, and you will hate a lot of things by the end of it....
Thanks Bitter Old Man....but I think I will save myself the grief of spending time reading something that will make me hate something that has ZERO consequence to me....

I'll leave that to bitter old people....
Then kindly exit the thread. We've all been sufficiently judged.
powerbelly
AG
We really don't need you trolling this thread.
boogieman
AG
1990AG said:

Got it....

Just to make sure that I am 100% here....

We've got an 81 page thread devoted to a guy who we don't like because he promised a big adventure (that we are damning for 81 pages) and is falling short of our moral standard for adventures/adventurers...

Right?

Just want to make sure that I am hanging with the right mob and carrying the right pitchfork!!

You want Pitchforks? I've got Pitchforks! Come on down to the Pitchfork Emporium.

For this thread, you'll want our BIG ASS PITCHFORK!

On sale now!

40 schmeckles!.
_____
| ___)
_____ _____ _____ _____ ____| |_
(_____|_____|_____|_____|_____) _)
| |___
|_____)

Aww. ****ing hell. Texags code f'd it up.
bobbranco
AG
1990AG said:

I appreciate the thread and wasn't trolling. Just wondering how we got to hate the guy so bad.

I'll hate him too so I can be part of the club!!

Buzz killer you just may be.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
1990AG said:

Got it....

Just to make sure that I am 100% here....

We've got an 81 page thread devoted to a guy who we don't like because he promised a big adventure (that we are damning for 81 pages) and is falling short of our moral standard for adventures/adventurers...

Right?

Just want to make sure that I am hanging with the right mob and carrying the right pitchfork!!
Since you're new here (or being contrarian blows your skirt up):

If you're looking for a more nuanced explanation as to why we're laughing at Dan, contrast his "adventures" on this thread with another poster on this board: One Eyed Fat Man. OEFM lives and works in sub saharan Africa far away from the luxuries of home to build community and clean water for people that need it. Every now and again, he indulges us with photos of his work, the people he's built relationships with and continues to serve, and his Toyota Land cruiser (a proper vehicle for offroading in Africa that he actually takes off road).

Now look again at Dan. Dan is driving a poorly modded petrol Jeep on road. The point of Dan's trip is "LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEE!!!!" Every once in a while, 'ol Dan posts a pic with a caption of, "Oh look at the poor, sad ooga boogas! I'm doing my part by taking their picture and driving on down the road."

So when you put a self-indulgent, pompous d-bag whose sole goal is self promotion and ignoring good advice at all turns in context with a fellow Ag who is in roughly the same locale with the exact opposite goal but is actually having the real adventure Dan is trying to fake his way through, the ire is well-deserved.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
1990AG said:

Thanks. I'll take a look at OEFM's adventures also.
Seriously worth your time. Always an uplifting read on a bad day.
Quote:

I guess the part that I was having trouble understanding was the part where a bunch of highly educated folks are spending 80+ pages ripping apart a guy they don't know on the internet.
I think it derives from the underlying reality that just among the posters on this board alone, there are many lifetimes worth of good advice as to how to do this trip, make it the adventure of a lifetime, and ensure safety.

The other point is that Dan is a mess. No matter how tragic a train wreck might be, you're not going to look away as it happens.
Quote:

I promise, I have spent way more time discussing it now than I ever intended from my initial real and genuine question. Until I was semi politely asked to GTFO, I thought we were being lighthearted about all of this, but I was very mistaken.
Eh....I guess this goes with my above point. No good response here. But stick around. It might be good to have someone pointing out the bright spots in Dan's misadventure because we do pile on pretty hard.
Quote:

You guys take yourselves pretty seriously.
That is because I am always right. Deal with it.
Quote:

The snake and pistol thread are a lot more fun.
You might be onto something with this snakepistol idea. Perhaps a good post for another thread.
Quote:

I'll leave y'all alone from here on out so I don't mess up your moral superiority club.
Again, it's not my fault I'm better than you.
1990AG
AG
blindey said:

1990AG said:

Thanks. I'll take a look at OEFM's adventures also.
Seriously worth your time. Always an uplifting read on a bad day.
Did a quick search and didn't find it. Any idea of the title of the thread?
swimmerbabe11
People who judge people are like the worst. They are like way down here.

I don't judge people or think I'm superior to them so that's why I'm way up here
swimmerbabe11

[url=http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50799-Democratic-Republic-of-Congo-Lubumbashi-to-Kinshasa][/url]http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50799-Democratic-Republic-of-Congo-Lubumbashi-to-Kinshasa

this is the thread. It is incredible.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
1990AG said:

Did a quick search and didn't find it. Any idea of the title of the thread?
The story Swimmer posted above is an epic trip across DR Congo but not OEFM's stuff. Also worth every second of your time.

Here are some OEFM links:

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2836962/replies/48533970

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2835599

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2821996/replies/48123214

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2800905/replies/47638075
RedlineAg08
Read that a while back. Greatest adventure ever? It was epic for sure.
The Fife
swimmerbabe11 said:

[url=http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50799-Democratic-Republic-of-Congo-Lubumbashi-to-Kinshasa][/url]http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50799-Democratic-Republic-of-Congo-Lubumbashi-to-Kinshasa

this is the thread. It is incredible.
That thread got me through a slow day at work last summer. The ferry crossings were the best part.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
1990AG said:

A very unique juxtaposition in the last couple of pages....support for our Missionary while hoping Dan dies a fiery death in the jungle....This thread could be the very basis of a Sociology Thesis.
I don't know if there is much of a thesis here. People like and support missionaries and want to see them succeed. People dislike and don't support self-interested idiots.

One last nuance: people aren't rooting for his grizzly demise. We're just waiting on it as an inevitability. Nobody wishes him harm but based on his own actions (and disregard to advice from those came before him) it is just going to happen. If you point two locomotives at each other crank them up to full speed, they're going to collide. In this case, one locomotive is Dan and the other is the reality of Africa.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Don't forget his sponsors(?) and those unbelievably smug interview he gave to Jeep.

1990AG
AG
Uh Oh....Website down....

you guys didn't kill him/have him killed, did you?
Caliber
AG
1990AG said:

Probably forgot to pay his bills...

Speaking of his website though... someone needs to buy up theroadchosememe.com and create a meme site to hassle him with.
1990AG
AG
Blindey is too nice to have done it, and probably Blanco also....I'd say this is going to come down to Powerbelly or Bitter old man....
TexasAggie_02
AG
1990AG said:

his last instagram post was 3 days ago

https://instagr.am/p/BU9Qy8CghYR
TexasAggie_02
AG
wait, so three days ago, he posts a picture that he put on facebook 5 days ago?

so he's posting to facebook first, and then delaying instagram even more.
1990AG
AG
someone posted on his FB page 2 hrs ago that he was leaving Nigeria....

Sorry....false alarm as to his demise....
Caliber
AG
We need to make a best guest on his current wear-a-bouts. That way we can all post to his facebook with comments to the effect of "Your page is down and indicates that hackers from Angola have taken it over"
FHKChE07
AG
Didn't we already discover that he was in Cameroon 3 months ago?
Beetle 92
AG
EMY92 said:

Here are the dates that are currently selected for the brave explorer's demise:

9-Jul Likeke98
10-Jul
11-Jul
12-Jul GE
13-Jul
14-Jul
15-Jul
16-Jul
17-Jul CactusThomas
18-Jul OverSeas AG
19-Jul Lt. Joe Bookman
20-Jul dlance
21-Jul Seven
22-Jul BringJackieBack89
23-Jul ellebee
24-Jul Zemira
25-Jul trip
26-Jul AgLA06
27-Jul Beetle 92
28-Jul Whitetail
29-Jul
30-Jul
31-Jul guyace
1-Aug Ag 11
2-Aug
3-Aug Shiner Bock
4-Aug CalebMcCreary06
5-Aug EMY92
6-Aug
7-Aug The Fife
8-Aug MookieBlaylock
9-Aug
10-Aug
11-Aug
12-Aug
13-Aug
14-Aug
15-Aug JohnnyG3
Plenty of open dates.
31-Aug SteveBott
1-Sep
2-Sep
3-Sep
4-Sep
5-Sep Texmid
Plenty of open dates.
15-Sep Matsui
16-Sep
17-Sep
18-Sep Tony Franklins Shoe
19-Sep

There are no dates selected after September 18th. The dates shown were selected after the arrival date in Africa was announced, if you're not on the list, please post your prediction and I'll try to keep this updated.

Update: 7/6 12:30 pm
Sweet -- The dates are coming back around...
EMY92
AG
We had a few people put down that he'd survive.

We'll have to decide if we get a second crack at it if we get the correct date, but wrong year.
BringJackieBack89
AG
I'm kinda feeling good about my July 22 prediction.
Bitter Old Man
AG
1990AG said:

Blindey is too nice to have done it, and probably Blanco also....I'd say this is going to come down to Powerbelly or Bitter old man....

You don't have no proof of nothing...
Beetle 92
AG
EMY92 said:

We'll have to decide if we get a second crack at it if we get the correct date, but wrong year.
We probably did, but I didn't have time to dig thru all 80 some odd pages. That was the first rollup I saw.
powerbelly
AG
Beetle 92 said:

EMY92 said:

We probably did, but I didn't have time to dig thru all 80 some odd pages. That was the first rollup I saw.
I was one who thinks he lives. He seems to always be traveling with others and not taking any off road adventures that would lead to issues.
txags92
AG
This seemed like a much more dangerous trip in the form he originally portrayed it...solo and actually leaving paved roads occasionally while camping in his jeep. 3 sorority girls on mopeds could safely complete the trek he has accomplished so far.
EMY92
AG
Here's the official spreadsheet
duck79
AG
Is he dead yet?
burtonsnow
AG
I can't imagine what would happen to captain hashtag if his AC broke in his Jeep. He would probably cancel the rest of the trip.
TexasAggie_02
AG
danny boy actually got the tires wet

https://instagr.am/p/BVNBH3WhUG1
TexasAggie_02
AG
this post pisses me off

he visits the Drill Ranch, which is a private sanctuary for the endangered Drill monkeys and chimps. They have bred over 200 Drills since 1991. That's pretty damned awesome.

However, danny boy doesn't link to their website, or tell anyone how to donate to them. Instead he laments on their broken infrastructure, and "hopes" that they are able to get it fixed. In the same damn article he is selling his photos that he took while there.

He has 12,500 followers on Instagram, it wouldn't hurt for him to link to and plug the people that have been gracious to him on his trek.

http://theroadchoseme.com/afi-mountain-drill-ranch-canopy-walk

I guess after trying to make a buck off of the sanctuary, karma caught up with him in the next town.

http://theroadchoseme.com/across-nigeria-day-ten
Quote:

We arrive in Takum late in the day, and immediately search for hotels. The first one we ask says we can camp in the parking lot for only 1,000 Niara total, which is extremely cheap. It's very dirty and noisy, so we say we will look elsewhere and might come back. Other options are not really much better, and upon our return the price has magically gone up, a lot.

Now the manager wants 15,000 for us to camp. With a lot of back and forward and disbelief on my part, the price at one point goes down to 4,000, though when I try to pay now he wants 10,000. After more negotiation the price is somehow 8,000 but again when I try to give the money it's at 12,000.
This makes no sense what-so-ever and I struggle to understand why he can't give me a straight answer. I don't know if he enjoys the bartering, enjoys screwing me around or this is just how business is done in Nigeria. When we finally agree on 6,000 and I hand over the money, he is adamant I should give him another 4,000.

This is just because I should give it to him, apparently.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.