Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

613,437 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by HalifaxAg
ursusguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was going for disease, but stolen and eaten works too.
techno-ag
AG
Another reason to use a Toyota LC instead of a Jeep, from the Belgian couple who struggled through the Congo a few years back.

quote:
That brought us on the topic of cars the NGO's and the missions here use. The cars that are deployed in the jungle have a lifespan of no more then 15 to 20.000km. After that they are completely shot. Bodywork, drivetrain, everything. Not surprising really considering the state of the loads and the payloads. Paolo was quite fanatical in his choice for those vehicles: Landcruiser 7x only! The Landcruiser 10* are often used as well, but they don't last on the rough tracks (too much bodywork). He once worked on a project were they had sponsored Mitsubishi's. They were written off after just 2000km.
unimboti nkum
AG
aggieforester05
AG
Damn that's pretty rough. Totally shot after 10K -12K miles.
texrover91
AG
70 Series double cab Tray-Back or PU in the states would be the tits

They'd last too long on our roads tho compared to the 3rd world
DannyDuberstein
AG
Some of them are literally shot
texrover91
AG
Only a few pages in on the Congo trek and wondering: "if the road chose Dan, why didn't it tell him to buy MT's?"

OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
The Fife
I just realized, this guy's driving into cactus swinging territory.

Centerpole90
AG
**from the Congo thread**

quote:
The 40 series was discontinued and no longer had an engine.

That being said, this thread has given me a new appreciation for my 40. CPjr and I drove it last night and I was thinking of this thread (I am pacing myself reading this to appreciate it) - even though by Africa standards it's a weenie because it's probably not seen much more than dirt roads and highways in the Continental US - following several landcruiser and FJ40 accts on instagarm is a constant reminder of the warrior it is at its core.
AgLA06
AG
I stayed up until 1:00am last night reading the Congo thread. That's just amazing. I can't get over how in touch they were with how things work, including the laws (or lack there of), and the resourcefulness required to do what that couple did.
AggieGunslinger
AG
It was a great read, until you get to the end and read his comments where he answers the questions/accusations, lots of bleeding heart ******* out there with no concept of how the rest of the world works.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
It was a great read, until you get to the end and read his comments where he answers the questions/accusations, lots of bleeding heart ******* out there with no concept of how the rest of the world works.

I didn't get that vibe. In fact he was specifically saying that blindly giving things/money was enabling the corruption which is true. And then he was chastising critics who somehow think Africa is special while they overlook and walk by their own local poor.
texrover91
AG
From the Congo - Waiting for a lorry to be repaired - punchline at the end:

quote:
We came across a truck that was parked in the middle of the track. Luckily the surrounding area was pretty open, so we could pass it.

Us: "Bonjour, ca va?" - "Hi, how are you?"
- Them: "Ca va un peu bien " - "I am doing a little bit ok" -> typical Congelese answer this!

Us: "Votre vehicle est en panne?" - "Did you truck broke down?"
- Them: "Oui, mais ils vient avec des nouveaux pices" - "Yes, but they are coming with spare parts"

So we chat a bit and we ask what their problem exactly was. They left Ilebo for Kananga with a load of building materials for a rich guy in Kananga. Their engine had completely seized. Their cargo was transferred onto another truck and they had taken the engine out and transported the engine to Kinshasa to get it rebuild. In the meantime the truck 'crew' stayed onsite to safeguard the truck. But they were very happy as they just received news that the necessary parts for the engine were now ordered in Germany, so the parts would come arrive in Kinshasa in a few weeks time!

A fascinating story, and they told it as if the was the most normal thing in the world. Fair enough. We said our goodbyes and asked them one more final question. How long had they been here?

"Un peu plus qu'un an maintenant" - "Just over a year"
Kenneth_2003
AG
Just wandered over to our not dead yet friends FB page. He's still touristing around London.

Funny to see him chatting with some shop and looking at their Toyota builds, but saying he's still not a Toyota guy and would love to see some of their work on a Jeep.

Poor guy, still doesn't get it!
Zemira
AG
If he doesn't get to Africa soon he will be out of money and I doubt his jeep makes it out of the cargo container if he doesn't pay the customs duties.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I agree with you and him, the ******* I referenced are the ones he is addressing that whine about his lack of giving, maybe I just read it wrong.
Bockaneer
AG
just finished this thread now to go check out some of the links
Mateo84
AG
quote:
I just spent my Saturday afternoon reading their story of the trip through the Congo.

Amazing.

Their Congo trip was just a small portion of their two year journey through parts of Asia and Africa. Incredible.
Same here ... That was an incredible read ... And incredibly long
Bregxit
AG
quote:
I agree with you and him, the ******* I referenced are the ones he is addressing that whine about his lack of giving, maybe I just read it wrong.

Gotcha. Yeah there were some idjits on his thread.
Terk
AG
Is he dead yet?
spud1910
AG
Yeah, that Congo thread was amazing. Hard to quit reading.
Bigballin
AG
nm
MasterAggie
AG
After reading the Congo thread I'm more convinced than ever this guy will die. I just don't know what will die first him or the jeep.
cbr
AG
The jeep has no chance after seeing that. Not that the lc is THAT much better, but lc parts are all over

If you really want to make that trip alone you'd better stsrt with a $250k baja truck and detune it for reliability, along with building a bullet proof front diff and making it 4 wd.

But then it better be bullet proof and youd better not sleep.
End Of Message
AG
I keep waiting for someone from Jeep/Chrystler to reach out to him and beg him not to leave the UK.

Well give you a free Bimini top of you come home!!!
ATX_AG_08
AG
Got to about page 35 on that Congo write up. What an incredible read. Those Belgians have big stones.
AZAG08
AG
quote:
Got to about page 35 on that Congo write up. What an incredible read. Those Belgians have big stones.
I'm not to page 35 yet, but I have been surprised so far with how ballsy they have been both with terrain and "officials"
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I don't know how they got through the country without being mugged/raped/etc. no weapons, but a Toyota, and at times, not even that.
cz308
Some how I think we are all setting ourselves up for disappointment. Either he never starts this trip, or there is no blogs or video's.

I personally cannot wait for this trip to start.
Mathguy64
AG
I'm on about pg 33. I just don't see how they didn't end up in a bad place with refusing to bribe people and frankly without a gun. And no winch or come-along? Really. The whole "its a month of time" thing seems nave. This dude had balls the size of bowling balls to do it this way. And to take his wife without protection?
AgLA06
AG
quote:
I'm on about pg 33. I just don't see how they didn't end up in a bad place with refusing to bribe people and frankly without a gun. And no winch or come-along? Really. The whole "its a month of time" thing seems nave. This dude had balls the size of bowling balls to do it this way. And to take his wife without protection?

So you shoot a guy with a group always watching your travels. Then what? They got stuck every 100 yards. Eventually you run out of bullets and they never run out if machetes. You're dead regardless.

At least they knew going in that their only option was to talk their way out of it.
cz308
Can someone post this congo thing? I must have missed it.
AgLA06
AG
Last page

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50799-Democratic-Republic-of-Congo-Lubumbashi-to-Kinshasa

You'll come up for air after 70 pages.
Zemira
AG
quote:

Also I don't think he mentions it till later but this was part of 2 year trip. They had already traveled 600+ days by the time they started the two months in the Congo.

They traveled down the western side of Africa from Morocco to South Africa.

Then they shipped the vehicle to Asia and took Japan across Russian Siberia through the Stan's to Egypt and then down to get to back to the Congo.

If you get to where he mentions it he's got maps outlining their travels or on his website.

One thing that he hits on throughout is that they take shelter and seek help from the missionaries and churches setup in the Congo.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.