Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

620,482 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by HalifaxAg
TexasAggie_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bet Emily liked him for his Australian accent, but gets tired of his BS and goes home.
valtosca
AG
Just watched a portion of Emily's presentation and learned she's a terrible speaker.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:
I bet Emily liked him for his Australian accent, but gets tired of his BS and goes home.
Emily might be a fan of grated cheese. Pretty important tool cruising around Africa civilized Morocco.
jsdaltxag
I'll just leave this here.

http://theroadchoseme.com/chasing-alexander-supertramp-into-the-wild

Presley OBannons Sword
I don't understand the fanatic, almost obsessive people who insist that McCandless didn't die of starvation. It is absolutely indisputable that he was underprepared for the Alaskan wilderness. The fact that he lasted as long as he did before finally making a deadly mistake is a testament to his adaptability. I think he was an idiot for going out there so ill prepared, but I still respect him for putting his money where his mouth is and trying to do what he did.

It doesn't take away from his legendary journey in my mind, but in the end he still starved to death because he didn't know what he was doing.
txags92
AG
He starved to death because he paralyzed himself eating something that all the guidebooks say is non-toxic. Maybe he was unprepared and naive...but the mistake that killed him came about because he ate something everybody agreed was safe to eat.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Wasn't he eating the seeds of the plant, yet actually only the leaves are edible?

At the time the distinction between the leaves and the seeds wasn't known.
Presley OBannons Sword
quote:
He starved to death because he paralyzed himself eating something that all the guidebooks say is non-toxic. Maybe he was unprepared and naive...but the mistake that killed him came about because he ate something everybody agreed was safe to eat.

Perhaps. But he was in that situation ti begin with because he had no map and a lack of experience/knowledge that left him cut off by the Teklanika. And he only had a .22. Lack of experience killed him. The berries or whatever just happened to pull the trigger.
txags92
AG
quote:
Wasn't he eating the seeds of the plant, yet actually only the levees are edible?

At the time the distinction between the levees and the seeds wasn't known.
http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/how-chris-mccandless-died

Basically, the seeds are edible too...BUT...not if you are in a state of starvation. Apparently there is an amino acid in them that interacts with a starved system in young males and basically paralyzed specifically the legs. Nobody really connected those dots before, so they were seen as safe to eat.
Terk
AG
Is he dead yet?
AnScAggie
AG
I wonder if Dan has a specific amino acid or alkaloid that will paralyze the people that will eat him if he ever ventures out of Morocco?? In ten years we could all be reading the story of how an unfortunate african tribe perished after eating a naive Australian/Canadian blogger.
AggieChemist
AG
I guarantee you that this guy is enough of a traffic ***** that he has looked at his site referrals and seen this thread. I think he's following along and trolling us actively now.

Hi, Dan.
BuddysBud
AG
quote:
I guarantee you that this guy is enough of a traffic ***** that he has looked at his site referrals and seen this thread. I think he's following along and trolling us actively now.

Hi, Dan.

Dan,

If you ever leave Morocco, a close up of a black mamba would be a great post on the snake thread.
Bitter Old Man
AG
quote:
quote:

Hi, Dan.

Dan,

If you ever leave Morocco, a close up of a black mamba would be a great post on the snake thread.

It will be coming at him from behind.... And you'll need to be 18 to watch it.
cuz-i-can
AG
Dear Dan,
Now that we believe you are reading our thread, just a quick note. Please hang on and die on July 26th, 2017 since you missed my date this year.

Thanks and Good Luck,
Cuz-I-Can
Westi
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hi, Dan.

Dan,

Sir, I need to speak with you about your chalk talk presentation.
AggieChemist
AG
quote:
quote:

Hi, Dan.

Dan,

Green is the best I can do...

BuddysBud
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hi, Dan.

Dan,

A friend from East Africa told me that when he was doing field work (geology), his biggest fear was coming across a black mamba. He said that they were known as "the Black Death" because it's black mouth would be the last thing you would see would before you died.

I did not intend to refer to the Baylor threads in OR.
AggieChemist
AG
Fun fact I learned in Africa... mambas carry the front 1/3 of their body length up in the air, so most mamba bites are to the head/neck/upper torso on humans.

Sleep well.
AG
Dear Dan, since you are apparently reading this, I encourage you to ignore these negative nancies on this thread and any disparaging comments I have made. The comments were all in jest and based on peer pressure on trying to fit in with the group. I applaud your quest and soundly challenge you to Go For It to show these simpletons that it can be done., remember, that road chose YOU. It is obvious you have prepared your jeep appropriately (I mean come on, you have so much confidence that you have a cheese grater although I really didn't know that they had abundant hard cheeses in Africa) and it's time to light the fires and run the tires into the deep dark continent. Best of luck to you and your negotiating chip Emily, Blow On, and make sure to be charging forward by around September 18th. I believe in you.

TFS

P.S. If you are still having troubles at the border, can you at least wait until around 9/18/17 before admitting abject failure? Thanks
BuddysBud
AG
So a large 15' long black mamba would have its head 5' in the air?
Good luck, Dan!
FrioAg 00
AG
Watched some nature channel thing on them, and appearantly they can strike a human even while riding a horse. (My guess would be on the feet, but still)
Bitter Old Man
AG
Comin at cha...

Scriffer
AG
Unsubscribe
BuddysBud
AG
quote:
Comin at cha...

Sweet dreams, Dan
AggieChemist
AG
My favorite African viper is Bitis gabonica.

Whitetail
AG
Dan, you should have upped for the Land Cruiser with a sealed passenger compartment.

Sleep well buddy.
aggiepublius
AG
If someone hosts there own website, they could thrown in an image in a reply and see how many hits are from Morrocco. Might help the search teams.
BuddysBud
AG
He just added new mosquito netting. Maybe that will help keep the mambas and Gabon vipers out of his Jeep while he (and Emily?) sleep?
AG
The dude does have some brains, he brings Mamba bait Emily to check that road for ruts and traversability. Emily no come back, Road did not Choose him and he goes another direction.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
quote:
Fun fact I learned in Africa... mambas carry the front 1/3 of their body length up in the air, so most mamba bites are to the head/neck/upper torso on humans.

Sleep well.
Yes, I briefly thought about bringing snake boots with me to Zambia, until I saw a video showing a black mamba raise up, latch onto a fruit tree limb about 4-5 feet off the ground and then pull itself into the tree. From what I understand, a majority bite victims are people working in orchards, picking fruit.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
Don't **** with Rikki Tikki Tavi
AggieChemist
AG
quote:

That's some Rikki Tikki Tavi **** right there.
AggieChemist
AG
quote:
Don't **** with Rikki Tikki Tavi

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.