Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

620,508 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by HalifaxAg
Mr. McGibblets
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Dead at a $2000 per night resort?!? No signs of violence. Hmm...
OD
Bitter Old Man
AG
Is he dead yet?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
AggieChemist said:

Found it. Took less than five minutes.

http://www.djidjack.com/en/

From the website, this interesting tree...

From Dan...

I got the Emily thing figured out. Look at the second picture. Danny Boy is hanging something on the door handle to "signal" that the jeep is a rockin and don't come a knockin. Emily stomps up in her hobbit feet, catches Dan doing the business, proceeds to work Dan over with his cheese grater, stuffs him in his spare (now empty) gas tank, and then hot foots it back to Canada.

Emily is the one that killed Dan when we all thought the natives of Africa were going to do the trick.
BlueMiles
AG
Article on the two sisters found dead:

http://ktla.com/2016/10/01/u-s-sisters-found-in-seychelles-resort-died-of-excess-fluid-in-lungs/
BringJackieBack89
AG
Wow, nothing for 2 days?

Is he dead yet?
Chazz03
AG
He posted to Facebook today but I think our collective give a ****s have gone to zero.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Chazz03 said:

He posted to Facebook today but I think our collective give a ****s have gone to zero.

Dan was a good distraction from the lack of sip tears. Right now, the tears are flowing like Niagara falls. If I go more than a couple of hrs, there will be 100+ new tears posts on the premium board.
BringJackieBack89
AG
Yep, I think all the flowing sipness this weekend was a main reason I never even looked at this thread.
Centerpole90
AG
Okay. New pool.

Who's home first? Dan or Chollie?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Okay. New pool.

Who's home first? Dan or Chollie?
I'd almost be tempted to put $10 on Dan just to play the odds
The Fife
BringJackieBack89 said:

Yep, I think all the flowing sipness this weekend was a main reason I never even looked at this thread.
That, and Dan is boring as hell most of the time.
heddleston
AG
At this point i would be surprised if he finishes even if he wants to. The east-northeast leg is lookong pretty unstable after kenya. South Sudan, Somalia, and Eritrea were already no goes on his route, leaving him to cut across Ethiopia and into Sudan. Ethiopia is getting hot, with the routes he would need to take to get where he wants to go currently cut off and inaccessible in certain spots. Whi knows what it would look like in 8 months though. He will probably end up hanging out in upscale Nairobi neighborhoods eating indian food for a month or two while acting like he's David Livingstone. Thay said, i think he runs out of money/gets bored and quits no later than Johannesburg
AggieChemist
AG
LOL. Dan finally broke and paid a bribe. Get used to it, dude. And once again, instead of getting a post with the flavor of the country he's passing through/into, we get "ADVENTURES OF DAN AT THE BORDER"
TexasAggie_02
AG
AggieChemist said:

LOL. Dan finally broke and paid a bribe. Get used to it, dude. And once again, instead of getting a post with the flavor of the country he's passing through/into, we get "ADVENTURES OF DAN AT THE BORDER"
he threw a tantrum and refused to move his jeep for several hours, all over $18 USD. what a little beech.

Also, he was surprised about needing a visa? Shouldn't he have researched every country prior to going on this trip? I honestly don't know about Gambia, but when i went to Mali, I had to get a visa and it was good for 5 years. If other countries are similar, why not just get them all beforehand?
BlueMiles
AG
Because, according to Dan, the most important thing is to "just go." Blow on, Dan
End Of Message
AG
He's such a bore. Thread unfollowed.
Poke_the_Bear
AG
His refusals to pay a bribe will get him in trouble eventually.
Caliber
AG
Wink said:

His refusals to pay a bribe will get him in trouble eventually.
This. Hopefully right around my initial guess of November 5th...
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
refusing bribes in Africa is almost like the "AM I BEING DETAINED" nonsense whenever a cop looks in your direction. Do you have a valid argument? Possibly. Is it going to save you a crapload of hassle to give the petty 3rd world official an orange juice, a stick of juicy fruit and $3? Yes.
FHKChE07
AG
So a guy I know was the same about paying bribes in SE Asia and once when he was waiting in a long line at immigration, an official walked over to his family, asked for his passports and lead him into a back room. The official stamped everything and took care of everything and then asked for a bribe essentially. He kept refusing to pay. I had to explain to him how he didn't have to wait in the hour long line in the heat with his small children and he couldn't understand.
Naveronski
AG
At that point, you're basically just paying for the express lane. Worth it.
Aston 91
AG
He's still alive. And he's paid his first "bribe". The first of many, I suspect, if he wants to stay alive.

http://theroadchoseme.com/into-gambia
AnScAggie
AG
I sure wish he'd do something interesting soon.
TexasAggie_02
AG
http://theroadchoseme.com/the-wassu-stone-circles

I wish ol Dan would just teach us something interesting about Africa. Instead we get "no one knows why these are there" and he runs away from a woman asking for money b/c he ate fruit off the ground that did not belong to him.

Quote:

I stop to take a photo of a huge anthill, and a local lady approaches me. We smile and exchange a wave, though I get the feeling she does not speak English. After a minute or so she picks up fruit that has fallen from the tree above, and shows me how to peel and eat it. I pickup my own and bite into it kind of a grainy textured apricot if I had to place it absolutely delicious. The lady, standing quite close to me, holds out her hand and says, in very clear English "Give Me Money".

I have had children begging, and even the odd injured person hold out their hand, though this demanding in my face is new. I feel really uncomfortable, and quickly move on.
it's kind of a nice juxtaposition to look at his instagram vs his webpage. His instagram is all happy "look at this" #adventure #wanderlust #etc, while his webpage is "XYZ tried to extort money from me so i felt uncomfortable"
The Fife
He needs to hurry up and get to the other side of Guinea so the real fun will begin.
AnScAggie
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

I stop to take a photo of a huge anthill, and a local lady approaches me. We smile and exchange a wave, though I get the feeling she does not speak English. After a minute or so she picks up fruit that has fallen from the tree above, and shows me how to peel and eat it. I pickup my own and bite into it kind of a grainy textured apricot if I had to place it absolutely delicious. The lady, standing quite close to me, holds out her hand and says, in very clear English "Give Me Money".

I have had children begging, and even the odd injured person hold out their hand, though this demanding in my face is new. I feel really uncomfortable, and quickly move on.

Did this moron do any research on Africa before embarking on his journey???
AggieChemist
AG
Quote:

There are many military stops along the highway, and all are extremely friend and happy to meet me. More than a few ask for my email so we can keep in touch.
Hello, esteemed friend.

I am Reverend Dr. Mrs. Albert Kamara-katsu Smith, and am am having bequeathed the amount of $75.000.000 USD in my name. I would very much like to move said funds unto a charity in United States. I am offer you 10%, or amount of $7.500.000 USD for your assistance in this matter.
BringJackieBack89
AG
I love getting these.
rodan85
AG
Is he dead yet?
Gig 'em
Bryan '85
Prince Alyusi Islassis
REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE-STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL

I am Prince Alyusi Islassis, the cousin of Nigerian Astronaut, Air Force Major Abacha Tunde. He was first African in space when he made secret flight to the Salyut 6 space station in 1979. He was on a later Soviet spaceflight, Soyuz T-16Z to the secret Soviet military space station Salyut 8T in 1989. He was stranded there in 1990 when the Soviet Union was dissolved. His other Soviet crew members returned to earth on the Soyuz T-16Z, but his place taken up by return cargo. There have been occasional Progrez supply flights to keep him going since that time. He is in good humor, but wants to come home.

In the 14-years he has been on the station, he accumulates flight pay and interest amounting almost $ 15,000,000 American Dollars. This is held in a trust at the Lagos National Savings and Trust Association. If we can obtain access to this money, we can place a down payment with the Russian Space Authorities for a Soyuz return flight to bring him back to Earth. I am told this will cost $ 3,000,000 American Dollars. In order to access the his trust fund we need your assistance. Becuase of your Jeep mission in Africa, we are aware of yout exemplarary good will towards the Nigerian people.

Consequently, my colleagues and I are willing to transfer the total amount to your account or subsequent disbursement, since we as civil servants are prohibited by the Code of Conduct Bureau (Civil Service Laws) from opening and/ or operating foreign accounts in our names.

Needless to say, the trust reposed on you at this juncture is enormous. In return, we have agreed to offer you 20 percent of the transferred sum, while 10 percent shall be set aside for incidental expenses (internal and external) between the parties in the course of the transaction. You will be mandated to remit the balance 70 percent to other accounts in due course.

Thanking you I am,

Prince Alyusi Islassis
Centerpole90
AG
2 paragraphs into a GatorAg03 post >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 70 pages about Dan.
Fairview
AG
rodan85 said:

Is he dead yet?

I've come to realize he's never going to die. He's going to putz around taking pics from resorts and on the side of paved roads and will be sitting in the presidential box at Hillary's first state of the union as she praises his wanderlust and encourages more people to be like Dan...all funded by us.
AnScAggie
AG
Dammit I keep getting sucked into checking this thread.
hurleyag
AG
Not enough misspelled words....clearly a fake.
TexasAggie_02
AG
rodan85 said:

Is he dead yet?
fight on Dan, gotta make it to November!

https://instagr.am/p/BLjKj7vDt3Q

also, a slight oversight and another campground photo

https://instagr.am/p/BLoMGFpDTtz

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.