Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

633,385 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by HalifaxAg
Bitter Old Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ruddyduck said:

dan or the constant bumping and overall length of this thread with so very little actual content.
These two are quite analogous... At some point this thread is an endurance race to prove we can outlast Dan...
heddleston
AG
As someone who's had malaria twice and wrote out a will in my phone the 2nd time just in case I passed out before I got to the hospital, I hope he gets giardia and amoebas and craps his pants every day until he gives up and goes home.
Dr. Faustus
AG
heddleston said:

As someone who's had malaria twice and wrote out a will in my phone the 2nd time just in case I passed out before I got to the hospital, I hope he gets giardia and amoebas and craps his pants every day until he gives up and goes home.

Mother**** this *****
TexasAggie_02
AG
Whoop04 said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

On a trip like mine through Africa, Malaria presents a problem. Conventional wisdom says to take an "anti-malarial" pill in the hopes of preventing infection, though for a number of reasons that's not really practical. All anti-malarial tables come with an increased sensitivity to the sun (they advise staying out of the sun. I can tell you that's very difficult in Africa), and they are hard on your liver in the long-term. All the advice is not to use them for too long, though nobody can quite say how long is too long.

I think two years is long.
Malarone does not have that side effect.
Quote:

One of the other major options comes with side effects, usually related to severe, severe demented dreams and interrupted sleep.
Malarone does not have this side effect.

These aren't real side effects? If not, my Corpsman lied to me.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/malarone-side-effects.html

Looks like light sensitivity happens in 2% of people. It does not cause nightmares. When I went to Mali my Dr told me that I could take something that could cause suicidal nightmares, or I could take malarone, but I would have to take it for several days after returning. I chose malarone.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Ive taken malarone in the past when traveling to DRC-no problems. In preparing for life in Zambia, was told it is too hard on your liver to take long term. Wife takes larium, the one that can give crazy dreams, even psychosis, but no problems for her. I can't take larium due to drug interactions with other medications I take. So I take doxycycline which can also result in sun sensitivity. Im outside a lot, working at the farm in Chasefu, with no problems. We sleep under nets. No malaria yet.
javajaws
AG
LOL, the guy whines about having to pay a $50 bribe. What did he expect? Free champagne?

http://theroadchoseme.com/ivory-coast-begins
mAgnoliAg
AG
In
DuckDown2013
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

In

In on page 77??
TAMUallen
AG
javajaws said:

LOL, the guy whines about having to pay a $50 bribe. What did he expect? Free champagne?

http://theroadchoseme.com/ivory-coast-begins

I'm amazed that he's still alive
mAgnoliAg
AG
DuckDown2013 said:

mAgnoliAg said:

In

In on page 77??
Bitter Old Man
AG
Dead yet?
IBombedTheMoon
AG
Bitter Old Man said:

Dead yet?

Ditto.
TexasAggie_02
AG
danny boy decided to get his jeep dirty. not sure why he chose to here, you can see where people have been driving around this mud hole, but he went right through it.

https://instagr.am/p/BRn0GIfg-2C

https://instagr.am/p/BRoVWsAgcCF

oh, and there's this gem. Danny mooches off a Catholic Mission, then is ungrateful.

http://theroadchoseme.com/national-park-tai

Quote:

A friendly kid leads me to the two hotels in town, though neither has any kind of secure parking, so I don't really like my options. I backtrack into the center of town and pull into the massive compound of a Catholic Mission I saw. The Father is extremely friendly and welcoming, and insists I have dinner with him, and won't let me camp in the Jeep, insisting I take a room inside. A massive thunderstorm rolls in, dumping an impossible amount of rain in a short time.
Quote:

The whole mass is in French, so I don't catch it all, though I feel a little uneasy watching the locals give money to the Church, then a lot uneasy when they are asked to give yet again. I am extremely uncomfortable when the whole fire and brimstone bit starts, and am horrified when it goes on for almost 30 minutes of The Father screaming at the top of his lungs. I leave as quickly as is polite after Mass has finished.
swimmerbabe11
Oh my goodness I dislike this guy. So much to dissect in that post.
txags92
AG
In his defense, I doubt the offering plate at the mass had a credit card option.

I wonder if his decision to drive through the puddle had anything to do with people making fun of him for not going offroad? Even so, since the puddle was in the middle of the road, he still hasn't gone offroad yet.
AgySkeet06
AG
AtlAg05
AG
So who took the picture of him going through the puddle? I figured he might have setup a stationary camera, but the two pictures are not at the same angle.
Martin Q. Blank
Isn't the bear shooting the gun?
AZAG08
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

and that is why punctuation is importnat
Bitter Old Man
AG
AZAG08 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Spelling as well....
AZAG08
AG
Bitter Old Man said:

AZAG08 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Spelling as well....
JYDog90
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

The whole mass is in French, so I don't catch it all, though I feel a little uneasy watching the locals give money to the Church, then a lot uneasy when they are asked to give yet again. I am extremely uncomfortable when the whole fire and brimstone bit starts, and am horrified when it goes on for almost 30 minutes of The Father screaming at the top of his lungs. I leave as quickly as is polite after Mass has finished.

Two things: One of which is that those guest rooms and meals don't just come out of nowhere. All those folks in town gotta pay for the Gringo's dinner.

Secondly, the real story here is that there was a Catholic priest preaching fire and brimstone!
Chazz03
AG
Quote:

Secondly, the real story here is that there was a Catholic priest preaching fire and brimstone!
I've seen it happen....Christmas eve midnight mass of all times. Temple TX 2007
Kenneth_2003
AG
For this self righteous and arrogant azzhole, breaking bread to feed 5000 was probably fire and brimstone.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

For this self righteous and arrogant azzhole, breaking bread to feed 5000 was probably fire and brimstone.
To be fair, there are several places in the Bible that call for people to work hard and contribute to society, and that life wont be easy.... So, it could have been any one of these passages that was discussed....
swimmerbabe11
Couldn't he have used a stick to guage how deep it was?

I wish he wouldve gotten stuck five minutes after posting that,
txags92
AG
Bitter Old Man said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

To be fair, there are several places in the Bible that call for people to work hard and contribute to society, and that life wont be easy.... So, it could have been any one of these passages that was discussed....

I am sure to somebody like Dan, any encouragement to work hard and earn your day's keep honestly probably sounds pretty harsh.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Did Emily take the photo?
Texas 1836
AG
Seven said:

Did Emily take the photo?
I bet Dan did.

He probably hired a local to drive through the puddle.
BuddysBud
AG
If he did not understand much because it was in French, how did he know that the sermon was about fire and brimstone?
Chazz03
AG
Must have been a bunch of words with the letter r
Furlock Bones
AG
apparently Dan got tired of all that tough traveling he was doing for 2 days or so. he had to get back to civilization quick.

Watchful Ag
AG
This guy is such a fraud
Bitter Old Man
AG
Furlock Bones said:

apparently Dan got tired of all that tough traveling he was doing for 2 days or so. he had to get back to civilization quick.

Did anyone have "Drowning" in the cause of death pool?
ursusguy
AG
Hell, he might drown in an actual swimming pool.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.