Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

620,486 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by HalifaxAg
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've spent a month in the Sudan and Uganda and have also traveled through Cairo and Alexandria. I did have a AK47 shoved in my sternum in the middle of no where by a 'soldier' that didn't speak English or Arabic and wanted money and cigs for him to let me go. It was not a pleasant experience. My translator and his buddy both spoke some really rare tribal language, so the 'soldier' spoke to his buddy, who translated it to this weird little language, which was then translated to English all while I had a AK47 on me. Without my translator, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be here today.

There is no no no no chance in hell I would consider this trip without weapons, a travel companion and a translator. Even with all that, I would put the chances of dying a lot higher than I would be willing to take.

This guy is an idiot.
Presley OBannons Sword
quote:
quote:
over/under on life expectancy is set at seven and a half weeks.

what do ya got
FIFY
powerbelly has the under
Kenneth_2003
AG
The more I even try to wrap my head around this the more questions I come up with...

An Extra 13 gallons of fuel?
I think I'd want an extra damn near everything for that Jeep (if his final weigh in was 6,000 lbs he doesn't have spare parts)
If he wanted a diesel, why not fix his original failure or heck buy a Euro model with FACTORY diesel
I didn't see tools, but by golly his custom cutting board and utensil holder has a cheese grader!

At least on his Alaska to Argentina trip he only traversed a couple of countries that had a few people that would just as soon kill him, and all spoke common languages.

I could go on...
ccard257
AG
how have we gotten this far without mentioning that "theroadchoseme.com" is gayer than a bag of ****s.
stdeb11
AG
No light bar...destined to break down
ccard257
AG
I imagine this will turn out about as well as pippa bacca's treck through the middle east in a wedding dress for peace
Swarely
He should be driving a Hilux if he actually intends to finish.
agfan2013
AG
So once he determines his starting place (or maybe he has already I didn't read the article). Who wants to start a betting pool in which country he gets kidnapped/vehicle stolen in?
TwoMarksHand
AG
He should hook up a gps so we can pinpoint his exact location of failure, and then bet where we think that will be.
Texas Tea
AG
I'll have to hand it to him, he has been very creative in his choice of suicide method.
dr_boogs
AG
Fellas, tough day at the office. Blue star to the OP for posting this fool's plans. And as always, the OB delivers the perfect blend of comedy, truth and sarcasm in all the responses. Needed a laugh at the end of the day and boys, you delivered. I love this board.

PS - I'll go ahead and begin circulating a draft of this guy's nomination for the '16 Darwin Awards.
HumbleAg04
AG
So Jeeps sold out of the US come with a Diesel option already. Instead of sourcing that motor which is essentially a bolt in he tried to have a random Mercedes diesel stuffed in there which failed catastrophically.

This bodes well for his research, decision making, and luck. I'm also not sure why he had to sell the original one and start over... but yeah. RIP that guy.

Good on him living his dream, he just needs smarter dreams.
Guitarsoup
AG
I look forward to Jon Krakauer's book about his carefree life and rejection of societal norms on the way to his needlessly young death.
Secolobo
AG
He dumb!
aggiepublius
AG
Let us know when he adds the other continents and catches up to the 76 year old that has taken his Mercedes G-Wagen to every country.

Gunther, Christine and Otto - How a man met a woman and they set off on an epic journey across six continents in one amazing unbreakable car

ursusguy
AG
Since it roughly looks like he is starting at Ceuta, and heading around West Africa, I'm going to change to Nigeria or the Republic of Congo.
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't think he makes it out of Morocco. The State Dept has advisories about Americans traveling in Morocco because they are easy targets for terrorists that live there.
ursusguy
AG
Very true, but if he makes it to the Congo the means of death may be way more interesting.

And yes, I realize it sounds bad to be rooting for a more interesting way to die.
AggieChemist
AG
Reality is going to sex him right in the face hole.
javajaws
AG
quote:
Fellas, tough day at the office. Blue star to the OP for posting this fool's plans. And as always, the OB delivers the perfect blend of comedy, truth and sarcasm in all the responses. Needed a laugh at the end of the day and boys, you delivered. I love this board.

PS - I'll go ahead and begin circulating a draft of this guy's nomination for the '16 Darwin Awards.
If you think this is funny you should check out the fart rape thread in the Politics board.
AggieChemist
AG
I bet Sierra Leone, Guinea, and Liberia still haven't started issuing visas to civilians again.
Centerpole90
AG
I was just looking at the embola map and wondering if you would weigh in on travel there....
Hoyt Ag
AG
Been to half of African countries and I just don't see how he pulls it off. God's speed.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Obligatory post:

Guitarsoup
AG
Why a Jeep (where he will have no access to parts) instead of the pretty much universally used Land Cruiser?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/4m7do7/i_built_my_jeep_into_a_house_on_wheels_to_live_in/d3taiu1

quote:
I grew up in Australia, so diesel Land Cruisers are kind of boring to me.

To each his own.
Land Cruisers' are too boring.
stdeb11
AG
I read his blog on tire choice. Said he put hundreds of hours of research into choosing BFG AT's with steely's.

Don't disagree with his choice, but maybe some research into water purification, traveling with food, weapons, visas, etc...you know like the whole survival and logistics of the trip rather than tread patterns.
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
I read his blog on tire choice. Said he put hundreds of hours of research into choosing BFG AT's with steely's.

Don't disagree with his choice, but maybe some research into water purification, traveling with food, weapons, visas, etc...you know like the whole survival and logistics of the trip rather than tread patterns.

You underestimate Gods love of fools.

I could spend 10 years planning this trip, and get killed when my car crushes me while changing a tire.

This guy will probably make it, cheese grater and all.

NickNaylor
quote:
quote:

You underestimate Gods love of fools.

I could spend 10 years planning this trip, and get killed when my car crushes me while changing a tire.

This guy will probably make it, cheese grater and all.

God may love fools, but Charles Darwin does not
Silvy
AG
quote:
Instead of sourcing that motor which is essentially a bolt in he tried to have a random Mercedes diesel stuffed in there which failed catastrophically.

Not a random engine. That Mercedes 3.0 was offered in Jeep Cherokees from 05-08.

Also, please provide a link to the diesel Wrangler you speak of.
Silvy
AG
A couple pics of my cousin's diesel GC.

Kenneth_2003
AG
Diesel Wrangler?
http://blog.caranddriver.com/jeep-wrangler-black-edition-ii-series-the-upscale-diesel-powered-wrangler-we-need-stateside/
Presley OBannons Sword
quote:

Hundreds of hours of research, and he landed on the same wheel/tire combo that I picked for my Jeep in about five minutes of thinking at a discount tire when I was 18.

Huh.
Presley OBannons Sword
Were they able to repair it?
Silvy
AG
If he hits something hard enough that would crack alloy wheels, he sure as hell won't be able salvage/straighten a steel wheel that takes the same hit.
Silvy
AG
We're doing a LS swap

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.