Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

620,500 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by HalifaxAg
texsn95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in, my twins' birthday August 30th
htxag09
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BHwWHXEjRUP
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
The desert or Libya will get him
ccard257
AG
He posted on reddit an hour ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/overlanding/comments/4sdtwt/africa_jeep_dude_has_started_his_journey
Centerpole90
AG
From the reddit thread. And, btw, I have no idea how the F reddit works.

quote:
Eastern Africa is a long time away for me - well over a year. I see no point in planning to the nth degree now for something that is well over a year away when things in Africa change so radidly.
When I'm closer, I'll talk to people who are on the road, I'll read up, and I'll make an informed decision with up to dateinformation. I won't stick steadfastly to a decision made a year earlier with what would then be outdated information.
I know you think it's nuts, but I'm following a few people right now now who are driving/riding through Sudan up into Egypt. Nobody has had a problem. I'm not saying I'll go, I'm just saying it's being done right now. Today. It's not certain death like people would have you believe.
bobbranco
AG
quote:
It's not certain death like people would have you believe.

The guy understand his actions.

Is it too late to pick a date and put it on the calendar?

Also, does he have support vehicles following him or is he truly on a solo mission?
aggieforester05
AG
I just watched the first four episodes of the long way round the other night. If you're following this thread and haven't seen it, I suggest doing so. Those guys put a ton of work and resources into planning their journey and they had a support crew. It doesn't appear that this guy has anything like that and is going through much more dangerous territory.
Waltonloads08
AG
quote:
I just watched the first four episodes of the long way round the other night. If you're following this thread and haven't seen it, I suggest doing so. Those guys put a ton of work and resources into planning their journey and they had a support crew. It doesn't appear that this guy has anything like that and is going through much more dangerous territory.

How do you watch it? pay for a season?
aggieforester05
AG
It's on Netflix for free, but you have to search for it.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
So if he isn't planning on heading east for a year then this has gone from a 2 year journey to a 10 year journey at least. This completely throws off the death pool. We need to revise the whole process because the chances of homeboy getting smoked in Morocco are slim
SteveBott
AG
Seven read the Reddit post. He is heading to Sudan now
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
So if he isn't planning on heading east for a year then this has gone from a 2 year journey to a 10 year journey at least. This completely throws off the death pool. We need to revise the whole process because the chances of homeboy getting smoked in Morocco are slim
He's going South first.
Waltonloads08
AG
quote:
It's on Netflix for free, but you have to search for it.

cool, thanks.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I read that as he is keeping up with some folks who are traveling around without issues, not that he was physically following them. Since he just got there I think it wouldn't be wise to pack up head south then turn around and go back north to Egypt. And it is a long freakin way from Morocco to Sudan. About 2,700 miles as the crow flies.
BuddysBud
AG
quote:
Frotm the reddit thread. And, btw, I have no idea how the F reddit works.

quote:
I'm not saying I'll go, I'm just saying it's being done right now. Today. It's not certain death like people would have you believe.

It looks like he is following this thread.
OregonAg03
AG
quote:

Thanks for recommending that series. Just finished the second episode and I'm already hooked.
aggiepublius
AG
Well the South Sudan could reignite at any moment. Most of the NGO's were bugging out yesterday. Ceasefire tenuously in place today.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-36772762

And for those that enjoyed the Congo thread:

Currently reading Tim Butcher's Blood River. Butcher is a war correspondent with lots of experience in crazy places. The book is about his similar trek to the Belgian duo in about 2004 - except he traveled alone and on motorbike and down the Congo Rive along Stanley's route. It explains even more how time and level of technology in the DRC is traveling backward.

Excepts of Blood River on Google books.

BuddysBud
AG
quote:
I'm following a few people right now now who are driving/riding through Sudan up into Egypt. Nobody has had a problem.

And I am sure that those driving through Sudan with no problem are driving gasoline powered Jeeps.
frorge
AG
Watch the long way down next. They travel from UK to South Africa. IMO not as good as long way round, but still very good!
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
quote:
Well the South Sudan could reignite at any moment. Most of the NGO's were bugging out yesterday. Ceasefire tenuously in place today.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-36772762

And for those that enjoyed the Congo thread:

Currently reading Tim Butcher's Blood River. Butcher is a war correspondent with lots of experience in crazy places. The book is about his similar trek to the Belgian duo in about 2004 - except he traveled alone and on motorbike and down the Congo Rive along Stanley's route. It explains even more how time and level of technology in the DRC is traveling backward.

Excepts of Blood River on Google books.

That's a great book, read it before my first trip to Congo. Please read King Leopold's Ghost, even better. When Congo became independent in1960, there were only a handful of Congolese with a college education, because of their treatment by the Belgians. The British colonies, like Zambia where I am, were much better prepared to goven themselves.

Regarding South Sudan, we have a missionary who has been sheltered in place, sleeping on the floor as bullets fly. Hoping the ceasefire holds.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Whitetail
AG
He has made it~73 miles over 5 days.

https://goo.gl/maps/2iLcoKsAAYx

This is going to be a long ride.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Jeep probably broke down
aggieforester05
AG
The first street he drove down was Avenue Mohammed VI. That's not a good omen to start the trip with.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Is he out of bribe money yet?
ursusguy
AG
A friendly native he did breakfast with is trying to help him out with the sizing of the "native garb" orange jumpsuit. Wants to take him out to meet some of his buddies just outside of town. Told him to bring his video camera.

I say it jokingly, but I hope this is not the way this idiot goes
ElephantRider
AggieArcher17
AG
Good morning!!!

Is he dead yet?
Caliber
AG
ElephantRider
AG
My money is on him quitting before he even gets out of Morocco. He'll probably ride around for about a month and come up with some excuse.
Whitetail
AG
Waiting for one you knuckleheads to post a comment "are you dead yet" to him.
ClickClack
AG
My money is on him proceeding at a snail's pace and we all lose interest
Naveronski
AG
quote:

Yeah... Seeing activity in the thread, only to read another "is he dead yet", is kinda anticlimactic.
Breggy Popup
AG
quote:
Waiting for one you knuckleheads to post a comment "are you dead yet" to him.
His ghost warned him earlier that he was going to die. I can't say for certain if that was an OBer or not.
Caliber
AG
quote:
quote:

Yeah... Seeing activity in the thread, only to read another "is he dead yet", is kinda anticlimactic.
Seeing activity in the thread, only to read another complaint about "is he dead yet" post, is kinda anticlimatic.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.