Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

620,501 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by HalifaxAg
nai06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
He still has cell service. Not much of an adventure yet
Actually cell service is pretty good in most of Africa. The technology skipped land lines. I've got a sat phone, but very rarely carry it.
I was still getting 3g service from Maroc Telecom when I was in the Sahara. I had 4g service in nearly every city.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Actually cell service is pretty good in most of Africa. The technology skipped land lines. I've got a sat phone, but very rarely carry it.
I was still getting 3g service from Maroc Telecom when I was in the Sahara. I had 4g service in nearly every city.
Excellent, as long as homeboy can keep his battery charged, it should be pretty easy to track death date when the first bad guy starts uploading photos from his now stolen phone.
Naveronski
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I had to juggle three when I was in Egypt. Two for Egypt (and west/southern stuff), and a third for Israel/Jordan.

...but I could Facetime better with them in BFE (literally) than I could with Sprint in College Station!
AggieChemist
AG
NO PAGE 2
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
quote:
My FIL is going over rougher terrain right now in Montana.
I feel like there's a your mom joke here, but I cant quite grasp it.
In what kind of sick family is that a "your mom" joke?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
AggieChemist
AG
So they have monkeys at that campground.

Cool, I guess.
aggieforester05
AG
Still the most boring storyteller ever....
AG
At least he's dropping most of the # crap
#monkeys#loser#getmoving#flatbroke
Mathguy64
AG
They let him park his jeep inside the monkey area of the Marrakesh zoo? Wow. Dude's hooked up.
Presley OBannons Sword
quote:
quote:
quote:
My FIL is going over rougher terrain right now in Montana.
I feel like there's a your mom joke here, but I cant quite grasp it.
In what kind of sick family is that a "your mom" joke?
a sick one, bro. a sick one.
Presley OBannons Sword
quote:
Great point. Wild monkeys waking you up is a legitimately unique experience that he could have used for actual substance to this nonsense. Instead we get this stupid "was it xyz? NOPE (all caps!), it was monkeys"

Do I strongly dislike this guy? NOPE! I ****ing hate him.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
quote:
quote:
Great point. Wild monkeys waking you up is a legitimately unique experience that he could have used for actual substance to this nonsense. Instead we get this stupid "was it xyz? NOPE (all caps!), it was monkeys"

Do I strongly dislike this guy? NOPE! I ****ing hate him.

agreed. however, you left out his hashtag. i feel like the "it's an xyz thing, you wouldn't understand" played out on t-shirts when i was in the 5th grade. that hashtag caused an irrational anger inside of me.
AnScAggie
AG
I really strongly dislike this guy. Can you imagine what his progeny will be like if he survives the wilds of suburban Morocco and returns home?
BuddysBud
AG
I wonder if he his not leaving Morocco because he has discovered that he cannot purchase gasoline (especially using a credit card) anywhere else in Northwestern Africa. I also wonder if he has had to purchase gas in Morocco. I doubt if he has driven enough empty the tank since he left France.
aTm2004
AG
How much longer does he have to stay there to get Moroccan citizenship?
Bockaneer
AG
Yep. I've been thinking he should hit up that Moroccan jeep dealer and swap out his engine for a diesel...
AG
quote:
I wonder if he his not leaving Morocco because he has discovered that he cannot purchase gasoline (especially using a credit card) anywhere else in Northwestern Africa. I also wonder if he has had to purchase gas in Morocco. I doubt if he has driven enough empty the tank since he left France.
Come on, it's a tricked out jeep. Range is probably 180 miles per tank. He's certainly swiped his now useless credit card at least 4-5 times on fill ups.

Disclaimer** This insult is from a wrangler owner.
Presley OBannons Sword
quote:
quote:
Come on, it's a tricked out jeep. Range is probably 180 miles per tank. He's certainly swiped his now useless credit card at least 4-5 times on fill ups.

Disclaimer** This insult is from a wrangler owner.
bro, real Jeep owners don't refer to them as wranglers. CJ, YJ, TJ, etc only. you must be new money.
frorge
AG
quote:
bro, real Jeep owners don't refer to them as wranglers. CJ, YJ, TJ, etc only. you must be new money.

YJ 4 Life
AG
Sorry,

#210#TJ#olives#fillup#roughride#obligatoryjeepwave.
Presley OBannons Sword
quote:
quote:

YJ 4 Life
viva la square headlights!
Centerpole90
AG
#FJ40

Dark Continent Ready, Brah.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I was going to come in here and ask if he was dead yet, but I see that he still hasn't left Morocco.
AggieChemist
AG
More ON the beaten path pictures... now with more monkey

http://theroadchoseme.com/the-middle-atlas-mountains
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
I intentionally stick to the smallest roads I can find, and I'm not disappointed. They are very narrow and winding, often stuck to the side of the mountain. Mostly they are dirt, or else severely crumbling pavement that would be better if it were just dirt.
quote:
I make my way to a small lake called Aguelmame Azigza, which has been recommended by multiple people on the near end is a small village, a popular spot for Moroccan tourists. I drive the rough road to the far end
https://www.google.com/maps/place/32%C2%B058'25.0%22N+5%C2%B026'40.0%22W/@32.9745079,-5.4524496,1584m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d32.9736111!4d-5.4444444

That's a really nice freaking road up to that lake. can definitely see a center stripe in some areas.

Edit: yes, he's seeing some cool stuff, but he's overselling it, and trying his hardest not to live up to the original plan.
BringJackieBack89
AG
quote:
Aguelmame Azigza

Seriously?!?!?

284.3 FREAKIN' miles!!!!

What an epic journey!
Presley OBannons Sword
quote:
quote:
I intentionally stick to the smallest roads I can find, and I'm not disappointed. They are very narrow and winding, often stuck to the side of the mountain. Mostly they are dirt, or else severely crumbling pavement that would be better if it were just dirt.
quote:
I make my way to a small lake called Aguelmame Azigza, which has been recommended by multiple people on the near end is a small village, a popular spot for Moroccan tourists. I drive the rough road to the far end
https://www.google.com/maps/place/32%C2%B058'25.0%22N+5%C2%B026'40.0%22W/@32.9745079,-5.4524496,1584m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d32.9736111!4d-5.4444444

That's a really nice freaking road up to that lake. can definitely see a center stripe in some areas.

Edit: yes, he's seeing some cool stuff, but he's overselling it, and trying his hardest not to live up to the original plan.
holy **** that is annoying.

I STICK TO THE SMALL, ROUGH ROADS. IT'S VERY FAR, AND ALSO ROUGH IF YOU MISSED THAT. THANKFULLY I HAVE A JEEP.

ugh.
The Fife
quote:
quote:
Aguelmame Azigza

Seriously?!?!?

284.3 FREAKIN' miles!!!!

What an epic journey!
Every bit as much as the epic journey from Dallas to San Antonio!
Presley OBannons Sword
quote:
quote:
quote:
Aguelmame Azigza

Seriously?!?!?

284.3 FREAKIN' miles!!!!

What an epic journey!

And probably safer, because, you know, the sodomites in Austin.
AG
Temple/Belton construction on 35 is more dangerous than anything he has hit so far.
BuddysBud
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Aguelmame Azigza

Seriously?!?!?

284.3 FREAKIN' miles!!!!

What an epic journey!
At least with Dallas to San Antonio you would be going somewhere. He has gone 284.3 miles just driving around in circles.
wesag
AG
He's in New Mexico . Pretty soon it will be green chile season.
panhandlefarmer
AG
The farm-to-market on the way to my farm is in worse shape. He is roughing it at a national park.
Bockaneer
AG
http://www.smboilerworks.com/monkeys-feasting-on-tampons-morocco-part-ii/

Didn't realize he had a travel companion- has he mentioned her and I just missed it? Found this pic at smboilerworks - two bikers he hooked up w at the lake... Incidentally they are already on their way across Spain and headed east.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.