Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

620,510 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by HalifaxAg
RK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I was curious if ole boy had a will?
so he can bequeath his CC bills to someone?
RogueAg
AG
This whole thing is probably just a scam. I mean, is anyone really this stupid?

He's probably just touring around Europe... and he'll occasionally post an "exciting update" of his "adventure" from an internet cafe, with attached photos that really came from his Kenyan guided safari a couple years back, or somesuch.
aggieforester05
AG
This needs to be live streamed like the Truman Show. The ratings would be most excellent.
Breggy Popup
AG
quote:
This whole thing is probably just a scam. I mean, is anyone really this stupid?

He's probably just touring around Europe... and he'll occasionally post an "exciting update" of his "adventure" from an internet cafe, with attached photos that really came from his Kenyan guided safari a couple years back, or somesuch.
It would fit in with his whole "don't work" philosophy.
Terk
AG
Is he dead yet?
AggieGunslinger
AG
While I don't want the guy to die, this is the kind of geneticly ingrained stupidity that modern medicine has allowd to reach breeding age. 100 years ago this level of stupid was usually was weeded out of the gene pool by large cliffs, moving bodies of water, bears or fire.

oneeyedag
Operator error...should have been croc as in crocodile. But either could be the death of this moron.
Guitarsoup
AG
Part of his plan to finance this was to sell his photography and writing articles while there. Not getting basic London landmarks right doesn't say much about his writing and his photography isn't anything special. Back to AMEX for Grecy.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
quote:
quote:
I was curious if ole boy had a will? Then I thought why, his chance of a beheading, eaten by lions, tigers, cock or cannibals is so high what's the use.

Guys an idiot!
Africa is scarier than I thought

TXAGFAN
AG
Dumbass, he's probably looking for the Eiffel Tower in London.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Dumbass, he's probably looking for the Eiffel Tower in London.
He already saw it when he took his other Jeep through Vegas.
Matsui
ShaggyAggie01
BringJackieBack89
AG
quote:
Guys with Africa experience -

Which of those countries is MOST hospitable? I met a couple guys from Namibia who portrayed it as being pretty welcoming; of course they were in the safari biz - so there' that.

Not necessarily the most modern (South Africa?), but the most hospitable/safest???
Wow. Just ****in wow.

I haven't spent much time on the east but I have in the south and west coast.

Namibia and SA are just fine as long as you stay on the beaten path, especially without a local guide.

Along the west, CDI, Cameroon, Gabon and Angola are manageable but again, you need a guide/bodyguard. Actually some good places in Douala, Cameroon - used to travel around the city in the evenings after work with no issues.

The rest of the continent...not so much! Nigeria is a ****hole...no two ways about it. I don't believe he will have to worry about the delta tribes because I really don't think he makes it that far. It looks like he is heading through Morocco and down the west coast first. If he is lucky enough to make it in one piece (literally) through Freetown, I really don't think he will make it through Liberia.

The jeep parts issue would concern me but I think his ultimate demise is ignorance as to what he is getting himself into. Surely, there is no meet & greet service or company-paid drivers to get him around. I doubt he will have a MOPOL (Nigerian armed forces bodyguard) attached to him in his travels through the cesspool of a country.

This is a deathwish and his wish looks like it will come true.

AggieChemist
AG
If he gets a visa to enter Guinea/SL/Liberia, he'll take the "highway" from Conakry to Freetown to Monrovia. If he stops in Kambiatown and eats any of the Jollof rice at the Kambia Africana it will likely kill him. I almost shat myself to death along the highway from Kambiatown to Freetown.

A week later I made it out of SL and was laid over in Brussels. I had a nice salad and 20 minutes later shat undigested whole leaf lettuce all over the fancy European toilet in the city center Marriott.
BringJackieBack89
AG
The silver lining is that there are plenty of beaches to shat on so he won't have to wait until the next McDonald's, 83 miles away!
TresPuertas
AG
quote:
The silver lining is that there are plenty of beaches to shat on so he won't have to wait until the next McDonald's, 83 miles away!

But we wouldn't want to spoil the natural beauty and tranquility of the beasutiful beaches of Liberia...

AggieChemist
AG
quote:
quote:

But we wouldn't want to spoil the natural beauty and tranquility of the beasutiful beaches of Liberia...

You cannot imagine the squalor and the filth. It is an assault upon the senses. Then after you've been there a month or six weeks you realize you can't smell it anymore. That's when you start to worry about how YOU probably smell.
dahouse
AG
My ONLY experience with Africa was a safari hunt in the Limpopo province of SA in 2008. I remember staying overnight in Jo-Burg and seeing the nice fences with broken bottles embedded in the top.

Our plane stopped in Senegal for fuel. Armed teenagers boarded the plane and searched everyone. It was strange.

While on the hunt, I killed my buffalo and went to give my little pocket bottle of whiskey to the tracker for a sip. My PH grabbed the bottle and informed me that over 70% of the [insert racial slur here] had AIDS. The PH had a 17 year old sister that was picked up everyday by a private bus with a guard. Apparently, the [insert racial slur] believed that doing the deed with a young white woman removed the AIDS from your body and you can then survive.
powerbelly
AG

quote:
My PH grabbed the bottle and informed me that over 70% of the [insert racial slur here] had AIDS.
I have hunted in Limpopo area as well and our PH said every black african they had working for them had AIDS.
AggieChemist
AG
FIDO 96
AG
quote:
If he gets a visa to enter Guinea/SL/Liberia, he'll take the "highway" from Conakry to Freetown to Monrovia. If he stops in Kambiatown and eats any of the Jollof rice at the Kambia Africana it will likely kill him. I almost shat myself to death along the highway from Kambiatown to Freetown.

A week later I made it out of SL and was laid over in Brussels. I had a nice salad and 20 minutes later shat undigested whole leaf lettuce all over the fancy European toilet in the city center Marriott.

Thanks for the visual. I guess I won't be having a salad for lunch today.
ursusguy
AG
We haven't had a good AC crapping story in awhile, he decided to swing for the fences on it.
MasterAggie
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
We haven't had a good AC crapping story in awhile, he decided to swing for the fences on it.
I'll save my Thailand one for another day.
Matsui
AG
about that Cueta - Morocco border crossing

http://www.whitneyanderick.com/our-adventure-getting-to-from-spain-to-morocco/

RogueAg
AG
quote:

If that's any indication... dude trying to get his jeep across the border shouldn't have much trouble.

Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:

Rule 1 on Whitney... I approve!
TresPuertas
AG
Dude. She's gross
Mr. Nussbaum
AG
quote:

After reading that, why would anyone one want to go there? Serious question, it looks like such a beat down.
RK
AG
whitney looks like she's 6'8".
AggieChemist
AG
quote:
whitney looks like she's 6'8".
cbr
AG
Funny morrocco story. German lady brings pampered ****zu everywhere, into restaurant. They ask her in broken english to take it outside. She says in broken english, 'no i want the dog to eat too.' Guy in fez looks perplexed, but says ok. Lady carries the dog to the kitchen door and guy in fez takes it. Of course, we're all thinking they are going to feed the dog, and german husband makes dog diahhrea in the car jokes, until they bring that little **** out on a tray with an apple in its mouth with the main course!

AggieChemist
AG
quote:
Funny morrocco story. German lady brings pampered ****zu everywhere, into restaurant. They ask her in broken english to take it outside. She says in broken english, 'no i want the dog to eat too.' Guy in fez looks perplexed, but says ok. Lady carries the dog to the kitchen door and guy in fez takes it. Of course, we're all thinking they are going to feed the dog, and german husband makes dog diahhrea in the car jokes, until they bring that little **** out on a tray with an apple in its mouth with the main course!

No way. Hilarious if true.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
quote:

After reading that, why would anyone one want to go there? Serious question, it looks like such a beat down.
Morocco is a really cool place if you can stomach a bit of the hassle. Its also cheap and the tourist centers tend to still sell goods that are locally made instead of imported from China/SE Asia (i.e. like in the Istanbul Bazaar).

After about a day in country, the touts will recognize tourists that are disinterested (and that know what they are doing) and will leave you alone. For a predominantly Arabic/Muslim country, it is exceptionally liberal. Basically a direct relationship between age and amount of traditional Muslim garb worn. Lots of women under 30 wear nothing on their head. Speaking of Moroccan women under 30, the mix of Arab/Berber/Mediterranean is quite fetching. Also, and this is a big one, booze is legal. Moroccan wine was surprisingly delightful.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.