Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

613,365 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by HalifaxAg
The Fife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
Maybe I missed it, but how is he planning on posting updates while on the road? His site could go dark for a long time before anyone finds out the inevitable happened.

He said he would use internet cafes in cities
He'll be surrounded by royalty with all those Nigerian princes emailing everyone!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Oh yeah, option four (the most likely scenario): he gets to the Ceuta - Morocco border and is turned back for lack of cash/carnet du passage. If he's stupid enough to try this unarmed, alone, and with a ****ing jeep, he's for sure too dumb to know what a carnet du passage is, how to get on, that he needs them lined up, or how to cross unfriendly borders.
Corps_Ag12
AG
quote:
I just bumped One-Eyed Fat Man's thread because this guy's route takes him very close to him - and looking at OEFM's L/C triggered a thought.

Easily 4 out of 10 Jeeps at my LOCAL FREAKIN' MALL have handy-man jacks mounted on them. Now I have made some snide and disparaging remarks about that on the automotive board in the past - but if ANYONE ever needed one mounted across their cowl.....

C'mon man.

He ain't makin it that far
Zemira
AG
So as much as I am intrigued by his planned trip of death, has anyone who has lived in Africa tried to contact him to ask him to reconsider for his safety.

I realize we all mostly think it us a bad idea, but I assume he would hopefully listen to someone who is giving him advice from real life experience and not giving advice from the sidelines.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
The Reddit thread linked a few pages back has tons of posts from military, ex military, long time residents all over Africa, experienced overlanders, and others with similar expertise and anecdotes. This idiot's response to all of the experience is to ignore it. I almost think this has to be some sort of ultra-troll.
heddleston
AG
I live in ethiopia. This is a stupid idea. Security concerns aside, which in the southern/eastern nations arent that bad compared to up north, not taking a Toyota (hilux or land cruiser) is about the dumbest decision one could make on a trip like this. Even if jeeps were more reliable, on a trip like this something is bound to happen to it and finding parts will be a booger. I think Cairo has an assembly plant so he might get lucky if he breaks down in Egypt, but if he's in BFE (i.e. 99% of the flippin continent) he's gonna be waiting a while. And that's if he has enough language to properly find the help he needs.
Naveronski
AG
In Egypt specifically, that map isn't current/correct. In many places it is safer than depicted.

I can't speak to the rest of it.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
quote:
In Egypt specifically, that map isn't current/correct. In many places it is safer than depicted.

I can't speak to the rest of it.

You have to account for the Franco mindset that went into that map and apply the fear multiplier.
ursusguy
AG
Dude needs to hurry up and get to Africa, or at least post an update.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Hence the (spare me) parenthetical after I mentioned the French army. At any rate, the Moroccan - Algerian border is closed, Western Sahara down south is a mess and a minefield, and that moron is in a jeep. I think I'm going to bet big on his survival only because he gets turned away at the Moroccan border crossing from Spain at Ceuta.
aggieforester05
AG
Harry's Garage

This was an interesting video of a trip from the UK to Morocco in a Testarossa.
oneeyedag
Actually pretty cool except for the washboard road vs. the Ferrari.

Presley OBannons Sword
This dude needs to get going, because my curiosity is killing me
BenderRodriguez
AG
Next week in Morocco, supposedly
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
quote:
This dude needs to get going, because my curiosity is killing me

His will too unfortunately.
texrover91
AG
quote:
His drinking water tank holds a grand total of 7.9 gallons of water. Where did he place it? right between the exhaust and the driveshaft.

That's pretty brilliant.

And I am pretty sure that if I was driving across Africa, I would want a lot more than 8 gallons of water with me.

At least he covered it - the first pic of a plastic tank between the drive shaft and exhaust was a huge WTF

I would have skipped the fancy (heavy) plywood kiddie boxes and put a shat load of water in the rear.

And 13ga of extra fuel? Holy he77. I'd add racks over the rear windows with fuel cans and security screens.

And he should seriously consider going west first not east - if he ends up in Liberia after the UN leaves he's toast. Then work your way thru Libya etc and carry a bible.

And a Koran

That route would give him two years to memorize "Your Conversion to Radical Islam for Dummies" and an audio book of Muhammed's Teachings.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I think he is going to Morocco first. If you look close at the dots on his map, there's a single dot gap to the east.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Is there going to be an official pool on how far he gets or on what day he dies?
texrover91
AG
quote:
I think he is going to Morocco first. If you look close at the dots on his map, there's a single dot gap to the east.

Yep think you're right - missed that thx

We lost an axle on a Toyota Landcrusier in the Stormberg Mountains and it took three hours just to get off the road and almost a week to get parts. And that was with an outfitter with multiple trucks and local support.

Can't imagine how long he'll be waiting for Jeep parts - alone and in far more remote and precarious areas than RSA

TexasAggies06
AG
From the reddit thread:

quote:

As news of Dan's horrific death at the hands of African rebels circulated the office, James felt a new sense of satisfaction with his car payment and new speaker system.

quote:

ISIS stands for "It iS what It iS"
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:

Yep think you're right - missed that thx

We lost an axle on a Toyota Landcrusier in the Stormberg Mountains and it took three hours just to get off the road and almost a week to get parts. And that was with an outfitter with multiple trucks and local support.

Can't imagine how long he'll be waiting for Jeep parts - alone and in far more remote and precarious areas than RSA

Amazon Prime, 2 days.
texrover91
AG
I hope James isn't foolish enough to download his ebook - all he (Dan, our subject idiot) has done is prove he doesn't have the stomach for his own medicine. (i.e., he maxed out his credit cards like everyone else who has to have it now)

If he was practical and into saving he would have flown to RSA, fitted out a Landcruiser - probably very few mods required by people that know more than he does - then travel Africa with RSA plates and sell it at his choice of departure ports. (Kitted out land cruiser over-landers are quite common and available in RSA)

He'd put some money back in his pocket for the way home and have spent about 1/3rd the jack (1/3rd less dinero than modding a jeep in the states and shipping overseas)

It's like golf - sometimes you gotta club down and lay up

EDIT - cleaned up my post now that I'm "sober" LOL
Presley OBannons Sword
quote:
I hope James isn't foolish enough to download his ebook - all he's done is price he doesn't have the stomach fir his own medicine.

If he was practical and inti saving he would have flown to RSA, fitted out a Landcruiser - probably very few mids by people that know more than he does - traveled Africa with RSA plates and siokd at his choice of departure ports

He'd put some money back in his pocket for the way home and have spent about 1/3rd the jack

It's line golf - sometimes you gotta club down and lay up

I'll be honest, I made sense of about 30% of this post.
texrover91
AG
iPhone multi task pro I'm not

And my name is Dan and I live in YT so....

EDIT - "I suck at posting from an iPhone 5 while doing multiple tasks" and equating my suckiness to the stupidty of our Africa-bound Hero, Dan, who hails from the Yukon Territory
texrover91
12thmnfromflotown
AG
quote:
I hope James isn't foolish enough to download his ebook - all he's done is price he doesn't have the stomach fir his own medicine.

If he was practical and inti saving he would have flown to RSA, fitted out a Landcruiser - probably very few mids by people that know more than he does - traveled Africa with RSA plates and siokd at his choice of departure ports

He'd put some money back in his pocket for the way home and have spent about 1/3rd the jack

It's line golf - sometimes you gotta club down and lay up

Getting drunk in the morning is the best
TresPuertas
AG
quote:
iPhone multi task pro I'm not

And my name is Dan and I live in YT so....

....10% of this one
TxAG-010
AG
In
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
That video....
DuckDown2013
AG
quote:
quote:
His drinking water tank holds a grand total of 7.9 gallons of water. Where did he place it? right between the exhaust and the driveshaft.

That's pretty brilliant.

And I am pretty sure that if I was driving across Africa, I would want a lot more than 8 gallons of water with me.

At least he covered it - the first pic of a plastic tank between the drive shaft and exhaust was a huge WTF

I would have skipped the fancy (heavy) plywood kiddie boxes and put a shat load of water in the rear.

And 13ga of extra fuel? Holy he77. I'd add racks over the rear windows with fuel cans and security screens.

And he should seriously consider going west first not east - if he ends up in Liberia after the UN leaves he's toast. Then work your way thru Libya etc and carry a bible.

And a Koran

That route would give him two years to memorize "Your Conversion to Radical Islam for Dummies" and an audio book of Muhammed's Teachings.
Agreed I would have put a hell of a lot more water and fuel storage, but he may have been limited on space since he had to ship in a container. Even if he had to ship, why not add those things on overseas before the trip starts?? Sounds like a pretty dumb idea, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.
DanHo2010
AG
quote:
Guys with Africa experience -

Which of those countries is MOST hospitable? I met a couple guys from Namibia who portrayed it as being pretty welcoming; of course they were in the safari biz - so there' that.

Not necessarily the most modern (South Africa?), but the most hospitable/safest???
Northern Tanzania/southern and western Kenya are relatively hospitable and safe. You see a lot of white tourists in Arusha, Moshi, Nairobi, even Kisumu. Lots of tour buses full of obvious foreigners in the Rift Valley near Maasai Mara.

I'll be back in western Kenya in about 2 weeks and it'll be my 3rd time in east Africa. But I would never, ever, ever, ever, even to the safer places, go totally alone and/or without a trusted local guide.
levimod
AG
quote:
quote:
Reality is going to sex him right in the face hole.

Considering some of his countries are big into male on male gang rape and object rape, this may be a legit means of his demise.

Death by Unga-Bunga? Id like to thank my old high school football coach for telling me that joke.

Seriously though, this whole story makes me feel ill.
AggieChemist
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Reality is going to sex him right in the face hole.

Considering some of his countries are big into male on male gang rape and object rape, this may be a legit means of his demise.

Death by Unga-Bunga? Id like to thank my old high school football coach for telling me that joke.

Seriously though, this whole story makes me feel ill.
cz308
I cannot wait for this to start. I'm going to be glued to this.
Cancelled
AG
He's going to regret not using a toyota.

First, toyotas are far superior to the crap jeep makes nowadays. Second, you aren't finding jeep parts in butt **** Egypt, but you will find toyota parts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.