Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

616,243 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by HalifaxAg
JimmyHouston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TXAGFAN
AG
quote:
Y'all need to check out Long Way Down with Ewan McGregor. He didn't go all the way around Africa, but he was in some pretty dicey areas IIRC. Not impossible by any means.
Did you watch Long Way Down? This is an APPLES and ORANGES comparison.
ConstructionAg01
AG
My head is still spinning from watching the Liberia video all the way through.

I'd say the fella worked up a complex form of suicide, but I think he's really just ignorant of reality.
stdeb11
AG
Agreed. This dude doesn't have a support crew, bodyguards, etc. Not to mention Ewan McGregor money...
SanAntoneAg
AG
Skipping Madagascar? What a *****.
Centerpole90
AG
quote:

I've been on this board a while now. Based on the initial interest shown 4 pages in before the trip has even started
This is indeed a rarity. Usually anything over 100 replies is a longstanding thread, obvious troll, or silly argument.
Naveronski
AG
I guess financing all this on credit isn't too big a deal if he doesn't make it home.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I hope this guy gets to hear a sermon from General Butt Naked while driving through Liberia!
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
Well I'm glad I ended up posting this here. I want to feel bad for the guy but Everytime I start to I realize how ridiculous what he's trying to do really is.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
gonna have that jeep like:

Presley OBannons Sword
quote:
We know dude is already in the UK... Anyone stalk his FB for a departure date in Africa?

I'm torn between my good side hoping he comes to his senses in the UK and decides to just enjoy some mediocre food, beer, then turn home and my evil side hoping to watch this carnage play out in real time.
DannyDuberstein
AG
quote:
I guess financing all this on credit isn't too big a deal if he doesn't make it home.

Either die, or you're so happy to make it out alive that you don't give a **** about being bankrupt. Win-win.
aggieforester05
AG
Why not Asia? Why not South America, Australia, or hell even Antarctica? He might as well plan a trip to Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Libya and North Korea while he's at it.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
quote:
quote:
We know dude is already in the UK... Anyone stalk his FB for a departure date in Africa?

I'm torn between my good side hoping he comes to his senses in the UK and decides to just enjoy some mediocre food, beer, then turn home and my evil side hoping to watch this carnage play out in real time.

AggieChemist
AG
Come on guys... That video is five years old. Since then they've had an almost 2 year Ebola epidemic. I'm sure that has improved their overall infrastructure, health, population dynamics and generally left everyone with a sense of safety and stability.
The Fife
Maybe I missed it, but how is he planning on posting updates while on the road? His site could go dark for a long time before anyone finds out the inevitable happened.
powerbelly
AG
quote:
Maybe I missed it, but how is he planning on posting updates while on the road? His site could go dark for a long time before anyone finds out the inevitable happened.

He said he would use internet cafes in cities
AggieChemist
AG
quote:
quote:

Sure. Just pop into the local Starbucks in Monrovia.
Breggy Popup
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sure. Just pop into the local Starbucks in Monrovia.

How does General Butt Naked post on his Facebook page?
texags08
AG
quote:
quote:
Y'all need to check out Long Way Down with Ewan McGregor. He didn't go all the way around Africa, but he was in some pretty dicey areas IIRC. Not impossible by any means.

Yes, I watched it. How so? Really asking. Watched it and long way round about 2 years ago. I guess they were trying to get there as quick as possible, but they were still going through some of the same places.
powerbelly
AG
They had an entire support team with people helping every step of the way and serious resources. This guy is solo and financing his trip with credit cards.
Ptery83
Surprised he is doing all this on credit. Seems like a gofundme would be fairly successful, and I'd chip in for entertainment. Although, then I guess I'd feel like bad about contributing to his death...
BCO07
AG
I would pay an annual fee to help fund somebody to give this a try. Maybe add prize money for the first person to complete it
Muzzleblast
I spent the last 24 of my working life in West Africa prior to retiring.

He ded....
aggiesq
AG
quote:
quote:
Considering some of his countries are big into male on male gang rape and object rape, this may be a legit means of his demise.

How the F would you know all THAT???
thats a question he gets a lot
12thmnfromflotown
AG
definitely watchlisting this one
Corps_Ag12
AG
Maybe he's a Dakar Rally fan & wants to see all of the routes?

If so, he's very ill equipped compared to those racers.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, I watched it. How so? Really asking. Watched it and long way round about 2 years ago. I guess they were trying to get there as quick as possible, but they were still going through some of the same places.
Ewan traveled with an entire support team. He always had medics, translators, bodyguards, etc. He was meeting with presidents and what not.

This fool strapped a 7.9 gallon water tank to the underside of his Jeep and plans to drive around the entire continent with it alone. No language skills, no translators, no body guards. Just him and his Jeep. MacGregor is also a multi-millionaire and this guy has admitted that he has gone over budget and is living on his credit cards and hopes to get some freelance jobs writing and taking pictures while there.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Spare water tank next to the exhaust UNDER the jeep? Never been but I hear Africa gets a little hot in places.

I guess the silver lining is it will either fall off, rupture, or just plain disintegrate within the first 48 hours if he lives that long.

This thread, outside of the previously mentioned historical threads which are legends, has epic potential and here's to hoping he stumbles through a couple of months of updates before he is killed to death. I'm going with disappearance, no contact for a while, then the jeep turns up on some random internets photo with no trace of the idiotstick.
Dr. Faustus
AG
Holy ****. In.
CharlieBrown17
Centerpole90
AG
I just bumped One-Eyed Fat Man's thread because this guy's route takes him very close to him - and looking at OEFM's L/C triggered a thought.

Easily 4 out of 10 Jeeps at my LOCAL FREAKIN' MALL have handy-man jacks mounted on them. Now I have made some snide and disparaging remarks about that on the automotive board in the past - but if ANYONE ever needed one mounted across their cowl.....

C'mon man.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Spare water tank next to the exhaust UNDER the jeep? Never been but I hear Africa gets a little hot in places.

No. Not spare. That is his water source
DDSO
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG

A guy in the French military (spare me) posted this on the Reddit thread. Yellow means be very cautious and trust no one. Orange means official/diplomatic/military business only and red means off limits.

If he's going clockwise, he gets stopped at the Algerian border, gives up, drives around Morocco for a few weeks and heads back to Europe.

If he's going counterclockwise, he gets to layouune, WS and the Moroccan military talks him out of proceeding further south. He ends up driving around Morocco for a few weeks and heads back to Europe.

Option three: he reaches the Mauritanian border and doesn't have enough cash or a carnet du passage and is turned back. He drives back to Morocco, spends a few weeks on the road there, and heads back to Europe.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.