Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

620,497 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by HalifaxAg
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm on record from way earlier in the thread that he lives. I don't think he's smart enough to get through the first border crossing because I don't think he's figured out he actually will need a visa. But the jeep dies on Aug 28.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Agreed. Mine is not a date of death. It's the date he finally gives up.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
quote:
I believe the theories that Africa was where man originated.

I also believe we've been fleeing it for our entire existence for a reason.
I think I'm going to have to disagree with your premise. I urge you to read King Leopold's Ghost, and learn about the colonization of Africa. Or look into the death of the first democratically elected president of Congo, after it's independence, at the hands of the CIA and Belgians. Another good book to read is In Search of Enemies: A CIA Story by John Stockwell. Much of what we see in violent areas of Africa, they learned from muzungu.
Caliber
AG
I'm in for November 5th.

Based on his current rate, he is going to sit around in Morocco forever and never make it very far at all. I think he is more likely to quit than die, but I think it ends around the beginning of November either way.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Wait, you think somehow we taught violence to the Zulus and the Xhosa and the Bantus and the Tutsis, etc?

It's been non-stop genocide over there long before a white man ever went up the Nile.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
quote:
Wait, you think somehow we taught violence to the Zulus and the Xhosa and the Bantus and the Tutsis, etc?

It's been non-stop genocide over there long before a white man ever went up the Nile.
I've read a number of books on the Rwandan Genocide. The reason for the fighting between the Hutus and Tutsis? Because the Belgians thought the Tutsis facial features were more like theirs, so they assumed they were superior, and gave them the good jobs, education, etc, creating much envy and jealousy among the Hutus. And if you are referring to the behavior by Paul Kagame and the Tutsis since the genocide, they've been given a pass by our government to do pretty much what they want, in Eastern Congo, out of guilt for not doing anything intervene in the genocide. Bill Clinton-black lives matter? Go back to 1994 and see how much they mattered to him.

I've been to Congo four times, live in Zambia. Did people not get along before colonization? My guess is like all of humanity there was conflict, but when you see photos of people who have been butchered with machetes, google the Congolese whose hands and legs were cut off by Leopold's troops for not delivering enough rubber and ivory.

Where I'm working, when Zambians were finally allowed to attend seminary and become ministers, the Scottish missionaries would allow them to wear suits to preach, but not shoes, in an attempt to humiliate them and remind them they were inferior. Not quite as brutal as what's discussed above, but certainly not right. I guess my points is, I don't necessarily think we have the market cornered on moral superiority.
VanZandt92
quote:
quote:

I've read a number of books on the Rwandan Genocide. The reason for the fighting between the Hutus and Tutsis? Because the Belgians thought the Tutsis facial features were more like theirs, so they assumed they were superior, and gave them the good jobs, education, etc, creating much envy and jealousy among the Hutus. And if you are referring to the behavior by Paul Kagame and the Tutsis since the genocide, they've been given a pass by our government to do pretty much what they want, in Eastern Congo, out of guilt for not doing anything intervene in the genocide. Bill Clinton-black lives matter? Go back to 1994 and see how much they mattered to him.

I've been to Congo four times, live in Zambia. Did people not get along before colonization? My guess is like all of humanity there was conflict, but when you see photos of people who have been butchered with machetes, google the Congolese whose hands and legs were cut off by Leopold's troops for not delivering enough rubber and ivory.

Where I'm working, when Zambians were finally allowed to attend seminary and become ministers, the Scottish missionaries would allow them to wear suits to preach, but not shoes, in an attempt to humiliate them and remind them they were inferior. Not quite as brutal as what's discussed above, but certainly not right. I guess my points is, I don't necessarily think we have the market cornered on moral superiority.

Dang. I didn't know all that.
HvilleAggie
AG
I just don't see this guy living past August, and the only reason I give him that much is because he'll be moving much slower than he thinks he will be.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dang. I didn't know all that.
I learned we were taught very little about the European colonization of Africa in school. I really recommend King Leopold's Ghost, one of the best books I've every read. It's estimated that during Leopold's personal ownership of Congo, 10,000,000 Congolese were killed.
VanZandt92
I guess that doesn't surprise me, when you consider examples of abuse like that of the Dutch in Indonesia and the European treatment of Indians. Those are anecdotes, but I get it.
CactusThomas
AG
I just saw that new movie, Tarzan.

I've also seen The Jungle Book, Congo and even The Air Up There. So I think I know what I'm talking about when I say this guy ain't gonna make it.
texAZtea
AG
I was 17 minutes late in posting the exact same thing...
EMY92
AG
I believe that the Jungle Book is set in India.
CactusThomas
AG
quote:
I believe that the Jungle Book is set in India.

So you're telling me there's a chance?
/dumb and dumber
JD Shellnut
AG
Jeebus Christ, it's always the white man's fault!
oneeyedag
Here we go! Fruit-loop is in Tangier, Morroco.
ellebee
I don't see any updates on his blog since like June 24. Where can we follow?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Twitter or facebook at least until he loses cell coverage in a day or so
oneeyedag
https://m.facebook.com/theroadchoseme/
cuz-i-can
AG
According to his facebook post he is officially on African soil. The clock starts now!
Kenneth_2003
AG
Just how expensive is African international data roaming?
powerbelly
AG
quote:

Its not necessarily a question of cost, but getting a signal in many places is not possible
Centerpole90
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BHk1X5yDHDU
EMY92
AG
Instead of the usual, "Is he dead yet?"

How has that Jeep not broken down yet?
aggieforester05
AG
quote:
quote:

Its not necessarily a question of cost, but getting a signal in many places is not possible
I would have a SAT phone, PLB, various cell phones, every frequency of radio, signal mirror, carrier pigeon, and a telegraph machine. Not that any of that would help when it really matters.
oneeyedag
quote:
https://instagr.am/p/BHk1X5yDHDU

Looks hot, wonder how long it will take for that Chrysler to overheat?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Yeah, I figure he won't have service most/much of the time. When he does though, I presume that's gonna be some expensive Insta-twitting.

We're going to have some long periods where we don't hear from him, think he's done in, then I figure he'll pop up. Speaking of no service, IF he dies how do we find out? State depart?
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I would have a SAT phone, PLB, various cell phones, every frequency of radio, signal mirror, carrier pigeon, and a telegraph machine. Not that any of that would help when it really matters.

When I went to Southern Sudan, we had two sat phones. Southern Sudan has about a mile of paved road in the entire country, so the thought of a cell phone was pretty funny.

We had a solar charger there size of a folder to keep the sat phones charged. One could receive text messages for free, so that was our main link to the outside world. That phone melted the first week we were there while charging because it was so incredibly brutally hot. Like 95 at night hot.

So we had one sat phone that was our complete connection to there outside world for several weeks.
Chazz03
AG
Maybe his murderers will update his Facebook
Centerpole90
AG
Best I can figure he's at a latitude somewhere between Amarillo and Dumas, and it only gets worse from there.
NotGibbs
NotGibbs
quote:

Who cares when you're putting it on credit
Scriffer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hard to use any of those when your hands have been cut off.
EMY92
AG
OK, I'm locking the death pool spreadsheet. I don't think there have been any picks in the last 13 hours.

If you missed out, let me know I'll add you, but this way we won't have 18 people miraculously getting the time of his demise right after it's announced.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I agree on locking the dead pool now that he's crossed over into Africa.

And I've also got $20 via PayPal to the winner.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.