Outdoors
Sponsored by

Some guy plans to travel Africa in modded Jeep

620,483 Views | 3120 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by HalifaxAg
Dirty Mike and the Boys
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:

DELETED STAFF

DELETED STAFF
bobbranco
AG
DELETED STAFF
TXAGFAN
AG
NM
AggieGunslinger
AG
I think his out will be that only PAVED roads chose him so he has to turn around.
VanZandt92
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
He said on his Facebook page that he's going to be roaming around Morocco for awhile.
Morocco is pretty much the last cool city until he gets to Cape Town, right?
Isn't Morocco a country?

Why, not at all. There are very happening after dark scenes in Freetown and Monrovia.

Monrovia is bad. Squalor
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Assuming he makes it this far, will he travel through South Sudan? Figure it may be too far inland for him

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/07/10/gunfire-shatters-uneasy-calm-in-south-sudan-capital.html
ursusguy
AG
Pretty sure he was being very sarcastic.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
He said on his Facebook page that he's going to be roaming around Morocco for awhile.
Morocco is pretty much the last cool city until he gets to Cape Town, right?
Isn't Morocco a country?

Why, not at all. There are very happening after dark scenes in Freetown and Monrovia.

Monrovia is bad. Squalor

ellebee
Well this has potential.

https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=17800
KALALL
AG
quote:
Well this has potential.

That's not too bad. Morocco is actually somewhere I've looked into visiting.
TresPuertas
AG
TresPuertas
AG
quote:
So what are the dangers/difficulties he could face in Morocco?

It's location. Because Africa.....
MAROON
AG
quote:
quote:
Well this has potential.

Yep - some nice vacation spots in Morocco

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Well this has potential.

Yep - some nice vacation spots in Morocco

This. Morocco is beautiful and generally safe. They actually toyed with the notion of applying for EU membership some years ago. I think that plan was ultimately scuttled because the monarch would have had to cede too much power. Still, Morocco is the only country in Africa that is not part of the African Union -- largely in part because Moroccans see themselves as European, not African.

Lots of Brits and Europeans take golf/spa trips to Marrakesh and other resort type towns in Morocco. In the bigger cities, the usual scams and pickpockets exist, but actual violence against westerners is quite rare.

You can also buy booze (and drink in restaurants and hotels) -- remarkable for a Muslim country in the Arab world.

Outside of the bigger cities, it would be advisable to have conversational French skills. As you get more rural, working knowledge of Arab or Berber would come in handy.

So it makes sense that Jeep guy is hanging around in Morocco for a while. It's safe and he can get gas.

Bit off topic: if any of you are interested in seeing an Arab country, Morocco is a great choice. It is safe, very liberalized, generally cheap, and a lot of fun. When I took my wife, she was worried so I got us "super high end" hotel rooms (like $200/night) and we couldn't sneeze without a member of the hotel staff offering a fine linen handkerchief.
AggieChemist
AG
It will be interesting to see how long he farts around in Morrocco/Western Sahara/Mauritania before he heads down into Senegal/Guinea/etc and **** gets real, real fast.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
For no reason would I ever cross into Mauritania let alone the places farther south.

Landmines remain a danger along the border with the Western Sahara. Travelers should cross borders only at designated border posts.

Among other hazards. If he gets to Senegal, my guess is that he is shaken up so badly (just be a relatively stable place like Senegal) that he calls it quits in the Gambia and makes arrangements to have his jeep shipped home.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:
For no reason would I ever cross into Mauritania let alone the places farther south.

Landmines remain a danger along the border with the Western Sahara. Travelers should cross borders only at designated border posts.

Among other hazards. If he gets to Senegal, my guess is that he is shaken up so badly (just be a relatively stable place like Senegal) that he calls it quits in the Gambia and makes arrangements to have his jeep shipped home.
The only part I disagree with is the bolded part. That jeep will be part of Africa now and forever. Either as a broken down heap or little parts and pieces made into trinkets.

Plus his credit cards will be maxed out and no way to pay for any shipping. Hope he updates soon while he still has the internets.
FrioAg 00
AG

If this particular road "chose me", I think I'd tell that road I was otherwise engaged
TexasAggie_02
AG
i dunno, that actually looks like a pretty nice road compared to a lot of what that poor sap is going to be driving on soon
Bitter Old Man
AG
Maybe the resort he's staying at charges for WiFi, so he can't update his Facebook...
Terk
AG
Is he dead yet?
Satellite of Love
Sheet, that is nicer than many roads in Houston.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:

If this particular road "chose me", I think I'd tell that road I was otherwise engaged
At least that road is paved. Won't always be the case for him.
Guitarsoup
AG
Which happens first:

1. He is robbed, killed or otherwise somehow injured/incapacitated
2. His Jeep breaks down such that he cannot fix it
powerbelly
AG
quote:
Which happens first:

Number 2, followed quickly by 1.
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
Which happens first:

BOTH

WC87
AG
If he is in an active war zone does he still have to wave at all the other Jeep owners he passes?
JaneDoe02
AG
He was still alive 12 minutes ago. He's 70 miles inland. He posted on Facebook:

I'm camping in the beautiful blue city of Chefchaouen. I can't wait to walk down into the famous market this afternoon!
TexasAggie_02
AG
i hope he's smart enough to have delays on all his content postings so people don't actually know where he is, but rather where he's been.
powerbelly
AG
quote:
i hope he's smart enough to have delays on all his content postings so people don't actually know where he is, but rather where he's been.
I doubt it
BringJackieBack89
AG
quote:
He was still alive 12 minutes ago. He's 70 miles inland. He posted on Facebook:

I'm camping in the beautiful blue city of Chefchaouen. I can't wait to walk down into the famous market this afternoon!
DAMN! Looks like he may be heading across the northern coast before making his way east. I guess I figured he's get it over with quickly and move down the west coast. And I based my July 22 prediction on that! Oh well, I guess I can always look to the Algerians to help his jeep out.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
What a dork. That is a tourist town. He's in as much trouble there as he would be in somewhere like Oia, Greece.
cuz-i-can
AG
So the spreadsheet needs to be updated somewhere that a cause of death could be from a landmine? Wow! All of a sudden I've got a bad feeling about this trip.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
quote:
If he is in an active war zone does he still have to wave at all the other Jeep owners he passes?
No one drives a Jeep so he's got that going for him, which is nice.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
If he's successful, my guess is it will be due largely to the kindness and generosity of the people he meets along the way. Believe it or not, there are very kind and generous people in Africa. I hope he tells their story as it helps alleviate ignorance.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.