Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

497,897 Views | 3303 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by Jock 07
Koldus131
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got a quick day trip to Austin today. Going to be eating lunch around 1 before I need to be at the airport at 2. Anyone (Beef Cheeks) know if LeRoy and Lewis will be feasible?
BurnetAggie99
With that short of timeline you're going to be limited to places close to the Airport like Terry Black's, LA BBQ, Henry's Barbecue.
Koldus131
AG
Because I'm stubborn, I did make it to L&L. No line, ate in 20 minutes and am on my way to the airport.

Great food as always. I love getting the pork hash and rice because there's really only two places in the state that have it as a side and the other is a 4 hour time commitment hah.
CenTexSmoke
The hash and rice at L&L is seriously underrated. Lots of items on their menu get well deserved shine, I think just because we're in Texas and people haven't been exposed to it as much, the hash is seriously slept on. If I'm drafting a best of the best tray from all across Texas, it's on my tray every day.
IronRed13
AG
Smorgasbord from Burnt Bean today. The shiner rice was an unexpected favorite!
ChipFTAC01
AG
Shot in the dark but Does anyone remember an old school diner/bbq/truck stop place in (I think) Schulenberg at the intersection of i10 and the main Schulenberg exit? SW corner of that intersection. I think it was called Frank's or something.

Stopped for gas at that exit yesterday at a Buccees knock off called The Texan. I've driven by that old diner place a thousand times but I think only stopped there once when I met my BIL halfway from SA.

Don't remember seeing it get knocked down but maybe I was remembering the wrong intersection.
Jackal99
AG
Yep...we used to stop there all the time on the way back from summer camp. Ate there back in 2015 while doing the Texas Independence Relay.

Closed
ChipFTAC01
AG
Wow. 2017. I've only probably driven by it 40 times since then...
ChipFTAC01
AG
Jackal99 said:

Yep...we used to stop there all the time on the way back from summer camp. Ate there back in 2015 while doing the Texas Independence Relay.

Closed

Thanks
mustang1234
Franks. sold and tore down several years ago. same for Grumpys in Flatonia
DiskoTroop
Ate there going and coming from every hunting trip we took while hunting out near Kenedy. That must have been 1988-1998 or so. Met a Texag in Franks parking lot a few years ago to sell them a Winchester 52D I was divesting. Hope it's still the shooter it was then.
BohunkAg
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Shot in the dark but Does anyone remember an old school diner/bbq/truck stop place in (I think) Schulenberg at the intersection of i10 and the main Schulenberg exit? SW corner of that intersection. I think it was called Frank's or something.

Stopped for gas at that exit yesterday at a Buccees knock off called The Texan. I've driven by that old diner place a thousand times but I think only stopped there once when I met my BIL halfway from SA.

Don't remember seeing it get knocked down but maybe I was remembering the wrong intersection.

Frank's used to have some good home cooking back in the day.
Mathguy64
AG
Franks was known for its pies.
agcrock2005
AG
Anyone heard of/been to Local Craft BBQ in Newark (near Haslet in North Fort Worth? My brother has lived in Haslet for 17 years and I've never even heard of this place. I'm wondering if this is another one of those awards that don't really mean anything, because it's some New Yorker doing the award/contest.

North Texas BBQ joint to be featured on America's Best Restaurants
DiskoTroop
https://www.southernliving.com/barbecue-restaurants-2023-7561902?utm_campaign=southernliving_southernliving&utm_content=photo&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term={{.ShareRef}}&fbclid=IwAR3iz20nS0OowAlxgqERdDs0VOFXNSFubUOzTqZGqD4mYBO4RZt1keP5QYI

Interesting list from Southern Living. Didn't realize Maryland was in the South now, but never the less, take a peek.
CDub06
AG
Here's a random note:
I've not lived with my parents in 20 years. However, a few years back they started receiving a Southern Living magazine subscription for me at their address. So, now whenever they come to visit, they'll bring the magazine up to me. So I am actually a Southern Living subscriber.

I too was surprised to see Virginia (and DC) included as "Southern" in the magazine.

agcrock2005 said:

Anyone heard of/been to Local Craft BBQ in Newark (near Haslet in North Fort Worth? My brother has lived in Haslet for 17 years and I've never even heard of this place. I'm wondering if this is another one of those awards that don't really mean anything, because it's some New Yorker doing the award/contest.

North Texas BBQ joint to be featured on America's Best Restaurants
Good question. My dad was just talking about this place this weekend (during their monthly magazine delivery). I assume he saw the same article. I wasn't familiar with it at all.

Koldus131
AG
Texas has the most joints of any state, but I've always thought with the southern living list they don't put much thought into the order of the rankings. Almost seems like they pick their top 3-5 and then throw the rest into a random number generator. I do think they do a generally good job picking the 50 though.

For example, there's no way Robert Moss honestly thinks Kruez and Smitty's are better than Burnt Bean and Truth.
CDub06
AG
We went to Tejas for the first time in a while. Our typical plan is to stop by around 9AM and get a Golden Ticket to save our place in line. And then go kill time at the farmer's market. They hang golden tickets out for the first 10 people to grab them. After that, you have to remain on the premises and in line.

We were running late this time and were planning on heading down to Bexar BBQ if the line was too crazy. We got there a touch after 10AM and, not only was there not a line, but we got a golden ticket. Golden Ticket #2.

At opening, there were only 4 total groups (including us) in line. I've never seen such a thing at Tejas. There was a trickle of people after opening, but it was SHOCKING how slow they were this Saturday morning. What's going on?

The food was nearly as good as usual. And the chile relleno sausage remains undefeated.

As another aside, a table of four - 2 parents, 2 elementary aged children sat near us. They brought a happy meal with chicken nuggets for each of the kids. Meanwhile, my 5 year old was gnawing rib meat off the bone.
DiskoTroop
Koldus131 said:

Texas has the most joints of any state, but I've always thought with the southern living list they don't put much thought into the order of the rankings. Almost seems like they pick their top 3-5 and then throw the rest into a random number generator. I do think they do a generally good job picking the 50 though.

For example, there's no way Robert Moss honestly thinks Kruez and Smitty's are better than Burnt Bean and Truth.
Yeah, Blood Bro's beats out Truth? I mean... no.
WES2006AG
agcrock2005
AG
Any top 50 list of bbq joints that has Smitty's and Kruez in them is ***** Great historical places but they are nowhere near the rest of the field anymore. They're not even in the top 3 anymore in Lockhart after Terry Blacks and Barbs opened up.
BohunkAg
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Any top 50 list of bbq joints that has Smitty's and Kruez in them is ***** Great historical places but they are nowhere near the rest of the field anymore. They're not even in the top 3 anymore in Lockhart after Terry Blacks and Barbs opened up.
Eh, it's Southern Living....old legacy magazine. I wouldn't get too worked up over it.
The Anchor
AG
First time post on this thread (I think). Long time lurker.

I can't wait for my boys to get old enough to really appreciate good BBQ. I want to take day trips with them!

Keep the pics coming guys!
CDub06
AG
I like Blood Bros more than Truth, come at me.
superunknown
AG
BohunkAg said:

agcrock2005 said:

Eh, it's Southern Living....old legacy magazine. I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

Most of the places in NC and SC in that article look like they serve minced pork with heinz 57 sauce. If thats good enough for top 50 bbq joints in the south, hard pass on all of it.
DiskoTroop
superunknown said:

BohunkAg said:

agcrock2005 said:

Most of the places in NC and SC in that article look like they serve minced pork with heinz 57 sauce. If thats good enough for top 50 bbq joints in the south, hard pass on all of it.

Those were my thoughts!! If maw maw from Idaho can approximate your bbq with an instapot and a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays, it ain't bbq.
BurnetAggie99
Lewis BBQ & Rodney Scott's BBQ are legit. I've ate at both places before. Absolutely ate Lewis BBQ when he was also pitmaster at LA BBQ as well. Also ate Fox Bros in GA and it's good. Texas guys making Central TX BBQ in Georgia.
superunknown
AG
I've been to some really damn good places around Greenville, SC and I do like the different Carolina styles, but I'm not sure I'd try most of the places on the list. Been meaning to try Rodney Scott's but I'm lazy and would rather stay at home and smoke a brisket.
schmendeler
AG
The pig is a delicious creature, so i have no doubt that there are places in the Carolinas etc that have managed to make something sublimely tasty.
The Pilot
AG
I tried dreamland the day before JFF opened a can on Bama. It's not on the same level as snows.
jh0400
AG
schmendeler said:

The pig is a delicious creature, so i have no doubt that there are places in the Carolinas etc that have managed to make something sublimely tasty.

Sam Jones did whole hog in the parking lot at Franklin during a TM BBQ Fest event, and it was one of the best things I've tried.
CenTexSmoke
superunknown said:

BohunkAg said:

agcrock2005 said:

Blasphemy. Hash and rice is an amazing dish and belongs in BBQ.
MAROON
AG
The Pilot said:

I tried dreamland the day before JFF opened a can on Bama. It's not on the same level as snows.

At that point Dreamland was a chain and Bug Daddy was I'm pretty sure dead. I went there in 1987 when he was still manning the pits. The ribs were fantastic.

But you can't compare pork ribs to brisket in my book. Brisket is just so much harder to get right.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
CenTexSmoke
Rodney Scott's is good, love his direct heat ribs they do. Of all the spots in the Carolina's I hit, I think Skylight Inn was my big winner that trip.
superunknown
AG
I live in AL now and he's got a couple of locations here so I've been meaning to try it.

Seeing Dreamland in Tuscaloosa mentioned was interesting, haven't been there either but locals seem to think the original Tuscaloosa location is best and yet also not as good as it used to be.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.